clip ons for a 85 gs700es?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clip ons for a 85 gs700es?

I have been looking at my forks and noticed that there is a collar of sorts that connects the top of the fork tubes together so that the air valve fills both sides (right under the top triple clamp).
    So my question is if I want to lower the forks and attach a clip on to the top of the tubes (above the top triple) I don't think I can because of the air things. It seems that attaching below the top triple and below the air thingy would place the clip ons too low.
    My bike uses a factory high rise type of clip on right now (not handlebars), did any other models have a shorter version?

Like this? These are from a 600 Katana, the whole front end is. Easy swap.
    Last edited by kingofvenus; 07-24-2007, 07:43 PM.
    Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

When I had the stock forks on it yet, I had bars from an early style GS 1100 Katana (real kat as some would say) on top of the upper tree. You can slide the forks up a little by removing the large washer that is under the air filler collers. There were some aftermarket bars too.

Comment

Thanks for the info!

Comment

Venus,
          when you say 'whole front end' I assume you mean forks and all, not just the top triple? I like that setup.

Comment

Yep, the entire fork assy, brake calipers and rotors, fender and wheel. Matching rear wheel too. English made Hagon rear shock, Dunlop sportmax radial tires, it's almost unbelievable how much better it handles over the stock set-up. got most of it off e-bay, worth every cent. (avatar is a before picture btw.)

Comment

Dee,

If you pop those black caps off the top, what does it look like underneath? Is there a preload or damping adjuster? I just got a front end off of a couple of guys from eBay and the forks have some type of adjustment that I had never seen on a Katana before (and no black caps). On the fiche it isn't real clear what is there.

Did you paint or polish the top triple clamp? The one I got is pretty scratched up; I'd rather it looks more like yours.

Where did you get the Hagon shock?

Hugh

Comment

On the forks I have, (600 '88-'97) you do not have to remove the black plastic dampening knobs to remove the cap on the top of the fork tube. Those knobs are attached to a steel tube (flat on one side, kinda D shaped) that slides down into the damper in the fork tube. It will just slide in and out when it is lined up. The upper tree is polished, was when I got it, my sons' '90 is painted grey from the factory. The Hagon shocks are only sold in the states by Dave Quinn Motorcycles, www.davequinnmotorcycles.com they have to special order them, took 3 weeks for mine.

Comment

Could your's be '98 or newer? they don't have the adjustment knobs on the top.

Comment

You can find 37mm clipons that you can fit above your triple.

I'm using a set of 4-way Telefix bars now I stole on eBay for $35.

Honda CBR600F Hurrican factory bars will work, too - but the bars are shorter, so your controls will be pinched.

You can also find used vintage Daytona clipons if you look hard enough, too - they're like the stockers, but with no rise, and they're two-way adjustable. I've got a set that I'm not using, but can't bear to part with them because of how long it took me to find them!!!!

Just search the web for 37mm clipons, though - especially ones sold for "vintage" or "cafe racers". There are many that will work - just make sure they're adjustable!

I'll try to get some photos this weekend...

-Q!

Comment

Originally posted by kingofvenus View Post
                      On the forks I have, (600 '88-'97) you do not have to remove the black plastic dampening knobs to remove the cap on the top of the fork tube. Those knobs are attached to a steel tube (flat on one side, kinda D shaped) that slides down into the damper in the fork tube. It will just slide in and out when it is lined up. The upper tree is polished, was when I got it, my sons' '90 is painted grey from the factory. The Hagon shocks are only sold in the states by Dave Quinn Motorcycles, www.davequinnmotorcycles.com they have to special order them, took 3 weeks for mine.

Thanks for that link!!

Comment

Originally posted by kingofvenus View Post
                        Could your's be '98 or newer? they don't have the adjustment knobs on the top.
                        No they are definitely pre '98 - I know because I inadvertently bought a set of '98 and newer triple trees and they do not line up, they are wider than the pre '98 forks plus mine has the axle with the castle nut. The newer versions have the axle threading into the slider.

I've attached a picture so you can see what mine have.

Hugh

Comment

I just looked up the fork assy for a '97. Looks like that is what you have. I did not know that the '97 was different, but it is. As far as disassembly goes, it looks like the adjustment rod just pushes into the fork cap with just an O-ring to seal it? Wish I had a shop manual, I should get one, especially seeing my son purchased a '90 600 back in May. Sorry I can't be of much help.

Comment

Originally posted by QuaiChangKane View Post
                            Thanks for that link!!

Hey Q-ball

I have not logged in in a while but wanted to say thanks for leaving me hanging on the GS750 parts and for not responding to my many PM's.

Thanks for being a real stand up guy.

Venus, you are tops in my book. You have that bike looking really good. I still have a few GS750 items left. Let me know if you ever need anything.

Thanks, Ed
                            Last edited by Guest; 08-02-2007, 12:48 AM.

Comment

Thanks, So are you! sent a pm.

Comment

Working...
                              X