Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anybody running a homebuilt turbo conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anybody running a homebuilt turbo conversion?

l`m thinking of doing a Turbo conversion on either my Kawi Z-1 or the GS. l`m not new to turbo conversions but l haven`t done a bike yet,just several cars. l have a nice little IHI turbo that will work nicely and l`ll be gathering parts during the next year before the real wrenching begins so any pics or links would be a great help at this stage. l don`t intend to re-invent the wheel or set any records,just a nicely engineered kit that reflects what l`ve learned from my previous turbo conversions.My last conversion job was a Porsche 911 and l took that from 250HP to 375HP on just 8psi of boost.The car is an absolute rocket at only 2200 lbs and 375hp! l`ll be looking for those 120mph roll-on wheelies with the GS and l want to see at least a 175 top end out of it.l`ll add a fairing of course:-D

Use the search feature. I'd venture to guess that everybody's turbo conversion is homemade on this website.

Comment

There is some info about my bike:

And ongoing "winter" overhaul project:
      Arttu
      GS1100E EFI turbo
      Project thread

Comment

ahhh,the search feature..why didn`t l think of that? That is great work Arttu,what did you do with the variable veins in the TDI turbo?

Comment

The variable vanes are controlled by simple pressure actuator so the vanes turn open when the boost rises. Not the perfect solution but works. I have planned to build electronic control for this but lets see when I have enough time for it.
          Arttu
          GS1100E EFI turbo
          Project thread

Comment

Nice.l worked for VW when the TDI was coming out and we had a ton of those turbos around the shop,l may still have a couple that need rebuild.They have the hot side built into the ex.manifold though,how did you deal with that? and how did you solve the oiling problem,EXactly? any help greatly appreciated

Comment

My turbo was without integrated exhaust manifold so no problems with there. I think that only smaller TDI turbos are with integrated ex. manifold.

I did following modifications to the oiling system:
              -GS750 oil pump gears. This increases pump speed and flow by 30%. Doesn't help much the pressure.
              -Home made restrictor plug on the place of the oil pressure light switch. This restricts oil flow to the engine and passes oil to the turbo before restriction. I measured about 45 psi oil pressure on the turbo @5000 rpm, should be enough. Thanks to the uprated pump gears the oil pressure on the engine stayed at the original level or even slightly higher.
              -Ordinary automotive pressure switch on the turbo feed line to control the oil light. Switch pressure is about 5 psi.
              -I connected the drain line from the turbo to the oil drain plug hole on the oil pan.
              Arttu
              GS1100E EFI turbo
              Project thread

Comment

Working...
              X