wierd oil cooler question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wierd oil cooler question...

Okay, I know that many of you have kits for your GS1000's or Gs1100's I however have a GS650... I absolutely love this bike, but since its kind of an odd ball amongst odd balls finding information is hard.

Where can I put a tap and return for an oil cooler? And will I need a restrictor? I'm putting a kit together myself since they don't make many if any fo rthis particular bike.

they dont make them cause you dont need one. its just not big enough to get hot enough to need one.

you wont see much if any benefit in installing one.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS750 View Post
      they dont make them cause you dont need one. its just not big enough to get hot enough to need one.

you wont see much if any benefit in installing one.
      Politefully so, i couldn't disagree more.

They do make them. Several companies out there used to make the adapters for the sending units, and if you can't find one of them, then terry of this board makes them.

The function of the oil cooler is to obviously lower the temps of the engine oil. What benefit does this create for a stock engine? Well longer oil life, less breakdown, the ability for the engine to cool itself down quicker and more efficiently than just radiating heat. This leads to a longer/more reliable engine. Even on a stock engine they are of great benefit.

I have one on my 550 and noticed a difference right away in engine temp. An oil cooler coupled with full synthetic oil is the best thing you can do for our air cooled engines
      1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

will an adapter for a different model of GS gike work? Like form a Gs1000? And I agree with thte cooling issues- that's why I want one, I drive it a little hard and while I use Valvoline full synthetic or Rotella full synthetic, i feel that it could use some help on the cooling side... To me its just cheap insurance...

Comment

I agree as well on the need for an oil cooler. When I'm riding stop n' go traffic in Chicago on an 90 degree day, I say there's a need for one. Even if it's only ease of mind.

ap72...If you find the information you're looking for, PLEASE post what you have found, or where you found the parts, or even a thread on hooking it up.

I've been looking for the same info for about a month now.

Peace.

Comment

All of the gs650 Katanas for the european market were fitted with oil coolers as standard. Check out the following site www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-gs650-1981-gx

Comment

I'm tapped in to the filter housing on my 750 for outfeed and return but you're a roller bearing crank, correct? I'm almost positive you tap into the main oil gallery and run back on the return side at the filter but it's been years since I've done this. I know I have it written down in the archives somewhere( I don't throw anything away if I can help it). If you really need to know I can find out for ya. Actually find one of the guys with a 1000 with a cooler; its the same setup.

Comment

just get one of terry's kits and you will be fine. Or just get his adapter that replaces the oil presure switch. That is the only place you can mount the oil adpater/take off for ALL of the 8 valve GS motors.

then find a tranmission cooler or buy a earls cooler or a jc whitney oil cooler.

here the link for his adapter

i run a old derale adapter that bolts up to where my oil pressure switch was and run a jc whitney cooler on my 550. And a similar setup on my 1k as well. just make sure you mount the cooler in some rubber bushings or it will vibrate and shake it's self apart.
                78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                82 Kat 1000 Project
                05 CRF450x
                10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Kram View Post
                  I'm tapped in to the filter housing on my 750 for outfeed and return but you're a roller bearing crank, correct? I'm almost positive you tap into the main oil gallery and run back on the return side at the filter but it's been years since I've done this. I know I have it written down in the archives somewhere( I don't throw anything away if I can help it). If you really need to know I can find out for ya. Actually find one of the guys with a 1000 with a cooler; its the same setup.
                  I have a cooler from my '85 GS700 parts bike I'd like to install on my '81 750E. Exactly how and where did you install the outlet and return lines?
                  sigpic

SUZUKI:
                  1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                  HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                  KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                  YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

So...I get one of those kits and run the lines off it to/from the cooler?
                    Last edited by Griffin; 08-15-2007, 08:54 PM.
                    sigpic

SUZUKI:
                    1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                    HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                    KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                    YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

As far as I know, adapter is the same for all the 8-valve motors. It replaces your oil pressure switch behind the block.

You can then install a cooler. You can find them on ebay all the time. You may have to get one from another model and make a mount for it. Then run your line either along the outside of the motor or over the top like I did:

The adapter like I have is hard to find. As others have said, Terry makes a real nice adapter out of aluminum which mounts in the same location.
                      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by ap72 View Post
                        Okay, I know that many of you have kits for your GS1000's or Gs1100's I however have a GS650... I absolutely love this bike, but since its kind of an odd ball amongst odd balls finding information is hard.

Where can I put a tap and return for an oil cooler? And will I need a restrictor? I'm putting a kit together myself since they don't make many if any fo rthis particular bike.
                        In the warmer portions of the south oil coolers will benifit all bikes. I live in NH, and in hindsight, I really didn't need an oil cooler. Heres a link to how I fabbed my setup:

I probably noticed about a 15 degree temp drop in my oil by my guage readings.....

Comment

Working...
                        X