RS Flat Slide Accelerator Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RS Flat Slide Accelerator Pump

The manual that came with my RSs didn't have much info on how to set the accelerator pump. Do most people just set the gap between the paddle and the accelerator pump shaft? Or do you adjust it based on bike performance.

I had a slight hesitation under load so I reduced the gap so the accelerator pump starts sooner and it seems to be running very well now.

Unfortunately I did a couple other tune up procedures i.e. cleaned pilot and main jets and re-oiled pod filters. So I'm not sure what procedure cured things.

I would assume that setting the accelerator to come on too soon will have negative impact on mpg.

I just installed a set last weekend.

I put tape on the throttle (the part that does not move) and marked it 0, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and WOT. I placed a pin in the throttle grip (the part that that spins) so you can easily see the throttle position.

According to the instructions I adjusted the accellerator pump so the accellerator pump plunger begins to move when the pin is at 1/4 and set it to stop at 3/4.

I had a smooth throttle response, no flat spots or bogging.

I am seeing a wee bit of fuel leaking out of one overflow tube.
    1982 GS1000S Katana
    1982 GS1100E

Comment

Easiest way is to look at the slides with the carbs off the bike. Pano gave the right engagement and disengagement figures.

Comment

Great tips, thanks for the quick response guys, can't beat the knowledge on this forum. I think I'm about right on for starting at 1/4 throttle. Will need to check where it stops but i don't think i changed that.

Every now and then (and it's always done this) the number one cylinder / carb will make a quick spitting noise and if I look down I can see a little gas has leaked through the pod filter and left a small gas spot on the sprocket cover.

Do you think thats due to the float level in that carb?

Comment

It wouldn't hurt to check float levels and o-rings on the float seats. Do a bench synch while you're at it. Just use a drill bit or something under each slide for adjustment. If you get that right it's usually close enough with RS carbs.

Comment

Working...
          X