Bike Won't Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike Won't Start

I have a 1980 1100E with an 1166 big bore kit and a V and H header. I have been working on dialing in my carbs since I installed a stage 3 jet kit and pod air filters. Last weekend after a great day of riding I decided to try and see if changing out my 138 main jets to 132 would make a deference in how the bike is performing. It has had problems with a flat spot coming out the gate and it was breaking down between 5 and 7 thousand RPMs. Once completed I had a very hard time getting the bike to start and when it did it ran terrible. I went ahead and returned the jets back to the 138's but after doing so I have not been able to get the bike to start. I have owned the bike for more that 6 years and this is the first time it has failed to start. I have replaced the spark plugs and still won't start.It seams that it is having a problem getting fuel or its just not getting fire to the spark plugs. I have taken the carbs apart to make sure that I didn't miss anything butt hey look fine. I am at a loss for words right now because I do not know where to turn. Can anyone steer me in the right direction.

Thanks,
    The Beast

Good to see another Marylander out here.

I'm not expert, but I think you said it right when you said "It seams that it is having a problem getting fuel or its just not getting fire to the spark plugs."

I can't think of any reason that changing jets out and back again would disable the bike. Assuming that there's nothing obviously wrong (kill switch off, bike not cranking, fuel spilling somewhere, electrical not reaching lights, battery low, etc.), I'd suggest first checking for spark and then following the fuel from tank to carbs. Just apply basic troubleshooting and start tracking down the problem. Test the easiest/quickest stuff first and work your way from there.

Again, I'm not an expert, but that's what I'd do. If you have more details about changes or processes involved from the time the bike ran well to when it failed to start, that might give some the experts around a better picture to work with.

Best of luck!

Comment

I would look at the electricals even though you were playing with the carbs. Like maybe you bumped a wire while removing the carbs from the bike. As for your flat spot, Whose jets are you using Mikuni or Dynojet? I have a Stage III kit in my '82 1100E and I'm running the Dynojet 160 mains with the needles clipped 4 notches down from the top and it runs great (I am also running a Dyna S ignition which helps to burn the fuel a little better). I know that Mikuni and Dynojet have a different numbering system but 138 sounds a little lean to me.

Comment

You Need Air

When you change jetting on a constant velocity carb, you sometimes need to change the filter/intake size based on the backpressure you need. The first thing personally i would try is removing the air filter. (or if you arent using the stock one, try it!)

Comment

just a shot in the dark, but did you prime the bowls after reassembly? How long did you crank the engine before you gave up on it starting? Disconnect vacuum line from #2 carb, suck on it and hold vac 'til bowls fill with fuel. 'Bout 10 seconds should be good.

Same engine/mods basicaly as you I am now running Mikuni 150 mains. Clear up flat spot 6500-7000rpm and pull much further up top. I get about 40 MPG.

Comment

Working...
          X