any clutch Gurus out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any clutch Gurus out there?

My modded GS1000 came with a spare low mile motor(8-k miles,all stock)The previous owner had installed a Barnett TM-9 clutch in the original motor and the set up was not normal.The 10 friction plates are thinner then the stockers and wider with more surface area.He had no used the alternating steel/fiber method of installation and instead doubled up on friction plates until the total height of the plates was the same as the stock set.To me this seems pretty hokey so l reassembled the clutch using the Barnett plates(10 fiber) and 9 steel and ended up with too thick a stack.l then removed one steel plate and allowed the last two fiber plates to kiss with no steel between.This method resulted in a clutch plate stack of the same thickness as the stocker.Any ideas about any of this? l`m thinking the Barnett TM-9 is NOT for a 78GS1000...

It is NOT an issue to double stack friction plates. We do it ALL the time with dragbike GS engines. If the clutch feels ok when you ride the bike & that's what it takes to get the stack height correct then don't worry, it will be fine. I am NOT a fan of the Barnett plates because they are thinner & will gouge the clutch basket. Ray.

Comment

thanks ray,l figured it would probably fly but it never hurts to get the scoop from the drag racers liuke yourself:-D

Comment

I'd also heard that the baskets can get grooved from the APE clutches as well as the Barnetts. My question is, is there the same chance that OEM styles will also do it? I put OEM steels and aftermarket (but like oem) frictions in mine and then used heavy springs. Are the thicker ones so thick that they won't groove the basket?

Comment

Yes, always run the thicker tang plates to avoid grooving your basket. Ray.

Comment

They'll all start to groove the basket eventually,especially with hard use. My Barnett is fine but I was really anal when I put it together. A hint of drag when cold but works fine once there's 4 or 5 Km's on it.

Comment

Working...
            X