high altitude timing adjustments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

high altitude timing adjustments

l`m at 7000 feet here in Santa Fe.That`s higher then a mile,higher then Denver and in fact the highest capital city in the nation.Less o2 means less power and advancing the timing for altitude is common practice with older vehicles and absolutely needed for some of them.Anyone at high altitude on the forum that has some good experience to share? l have a 78 GS1000 with Dyna/Andrews and it is an absolute DOG compared to how l think it should run.l`m still shaking the bugs out and the carbs need jetting before l mess with the timing but any help is appreciated........:-D

RenoBruce is high up (home is 5500ft) & has a 78 1000 with Pods & V&H 4:1. Maybe his settings can give you an idea...

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

l did a little research and l`ll pull out the timing light but one problem is that l don`t have a manual...

Comment

Hey raceman, I'm near Denver and I am using the factory timing marks, but I too have been thinking about increasing the timing. The manual doesn't address high altitude timing changes, don't know if it is a good idea or not.
        "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
        GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
        1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
        1979 GS1000SN The new hope
        1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Gas sold in high altitude areas will typically be lower octane rated gas. They know you don't need the higher rating stuff so it's in their best interest to sell the low grade stuff. If you are at altitude you can use a lower rating gas or you can bump up the timing but just 2 degrees at a time and then test it to see if there is any ping problems. I would not try anything more than 4 degrees. The best way to compensate for altitude is to add more C.R. but that can be a problem at lower altitudes. It is best to get the jetting right first as this can kill your power if it is too far off. Dan

Comment

Interesting... When I was in NV with Bruce my bike seems to run better on the gas we bought across the border in CA. I thought it was me or the ethanol additives here in CA or something!

Dan
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

You need to set the timing correctly BEFORE any re-jetting. This also assumes the bike is ready to re-jet. Valve clearances, clean carbs, etc...
              I'd first try the factory recommended timing. Verify good blue spark. Then install jetting that makes sense.
              What mods on the 1000? Give brand names of mod parts too.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Thanks keith,you really seem to know your stuff about these bikes. Okay here`s the rundown: 12-k mile motor
                yna/andrews coils
                :29mm smoothbores (l`ll pull the carbs this afternoon and post the jetts for you)
                :new gen Supertrap(specifically for the GS1000,isn`t the type with tunable plates)
                :crap pod filters(temporary until l get the good oval K&N`s) .

l don`t have a manual so for timing l left the PO`s settings.l do have a shim tool and tons of shims so l suppose l need to get on the valves before l go further,that and record the carb settings and jets. The bike felt like it had too much timing so l backed it off a bit and it seems to run better and start better.l noticed when l was starting it before that the timing might be off,it had that "wants to run backwards" catch on ignition. this is gone now. There is also the possibility that two cylinders are out of whack and two are okay..

Comment

l went out and set the timing with a light and added three degrees advance.l haven`t checked the jets on the carbs yet because l have to ride the bike still today.l noticed that when parked in neutral and l rev the bike it pops quite a bit as the revs come back down or on decel

Comment

29 smoothies!? Not those again. Just kidding...a little.
                    The 29's are perfect for your 1000 but because they are basically an aftermarket race carb, they can come to you with who knows what jetting, and the jetting is commonly off, not to mention worn parts can factor in. Instead of the basic main jet/jet needle/pilot jet questions, there's the cut-away question that brings up different opinions as to which gives best results. The slides are expensive too if they need changing. Many times the needle jets are changed too so it can be quite a challenge. Add in your richer elevation and it may take some trial and error.
                    I don't have a lot of tried and true 29 experience but I do understand how they operate and have some basic jetting knowledge for them. There are some members here with those carbs and it would be nice if they see this and participate. Several 29 owners have asked questions here and we've tried to work on the jetting, but, most of them just disappear and very little confirmed good final jetting specs are shared. "Rock" has shared some info here, as has "Firstimer" (I think firstimer has 29's).
                    I'll be off on vacation starting this Friday too, so I can only give a little help. I'll be back in about 12 days if help is still needed.
                    It seems you're bent on having the advance changed from factory. OK.
                    The valve clearance check is important and needs to be done before any vacuum tool synch. Be sure to follow the EXACT factory method when checking the valves. I just posted the factory method at another thread if interested. I'll try to get that threads name so you can look at it.
                    The decel' pop after revving is typically a lean symptom. A little is acceptable in my opinion, just not too much. Trying to completely eliminate all decel' pop can results in worse problems. Be sure the decel' pop isn't in part caused by re-used header gaskets.
                    Like I've said, be sure the bike is ready for the re-jet. All other tuning must be done first so you know any problems are jetting related. Carbs must be clean and fresh inner o-rings are suggested. Fresh manifold o-rings are usually needed too.
                    If you really are going to pick up some K&N pods, it's probably best to do that now, or you'll be going through the jetting again in my opinion.
                    Regarding the cut-away, many here say the 2.0 is the correct one for Suzuki's, but many say the 1.5 is correct. It can depend on mods and conditions of course. Your high elevation may tend to favor the leaner 2.0 slides.
                    If I have time tomorrow night, I'll check in and help if I can, but I'll be busy. Good luck with it.
                    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Look up "GS1000 valve clearance problem" in the tech section if you need exact factory valve clearance checking/adjustment method.

Comment

thanks a LOT Keith. As for the timing l typically do advance at this altitude since they really respond to it.Keep in mind there`s 20% LESS oxygen at the 7400 feet elevation where l am compared to see level. l wouldn`t bother at see level. Today l will pull the carbs and document the jets comparing to the other posters.l will get this tuned.My friend blew me off the bike a few nights ago on his 1200 Sportster,that`s just wrong

Comment

Working...
                        X