82 1100 GK timing advance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 1100 GK timing advance?

I've searched but didn't find a whole lot. Can anyone quickly walk through the timing advance on an 82 1100? The bike sounds a little flat and I wouldn't mind giving it a little more pep.

If you want "pep", then get yourself a GS1100E or GS1150E, etc. The shafty GS1100GK is for mild-mannered touring, not for "pep". Fool with it, and you'll lose whatever stability and reliability it came with. My own GS1100GK has 120,000 miles on it, and running great, because I don't fool with it or try to turn it into something it isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa View Post
      If you want "pep", then get yourself a GS1100E or GS1150E, etc. The shafty GS1100GK is for mild-mannered touring, not for "pep". Fool with it, and you'll lose whatever stability and reliability it came with. My own GS1100GK has 120,000 miles on it, and running great, because I don't fool with it or try to turn it into something it isn't.
      Don't bash me because I want to add a few degrees of timing. I asked how to do it, not how you treat YOUR bike.

Comment

Don't bash me because I want to add a few degrees of timing. I asked how to do it, not how you treat YOUR bike.

Comment

I'm not bashing you, boy! It's just that you have the wrong platform on which to build more performance.

As far as I'm concerned, you may go ahead and waste your time, money, and energy in making a GK do what it wasn't intended to do.

Comment

I'm not bashing you, boy! It's just that you have the wrong platform on which to build more performance.

As far as I'm concerned, you may go ahead and waste your time, money, and energy in making a GK do what it wasn't intended to do.
            Your boy remark doesn't bother me. You have no idea who I am or what I do. If you had read the first post you would seen that I said nothing about hot rodding the GK. I simply asked about advancing the timing a few degrees. I'm just doing a little tune up and would like a little help, not some geriatric old man preaching to me about timing. So if you would sir, please take your bored old ass and move on.

Comment

Go waste all the time you like, fat sac. I've warned you that you're better off leaving the GK alone.

Your insults are quite complimentary, though, boy! Thanks!
              Last edited by Guest; 08-14-2007, 09:06 PM.

Comment

So can anybody tell me how to advance the timing?

Comment

You would have to slot the plate the signal generators are mounted on to adjust timing. Once you do that you will probably have to tweak your jetting.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                    You would have to slot the plate the signal generators are mounted on to adjust timing. Once you do that you will probably have to tweak your jetting.
                    Thank you. With the new pipes and pods on I'm going to have to adjust the jetting anyway. Do you move clockwise or counterclockwise to advance?

Comment

Probably be happier just running a Dyna ignition if they make one for your bike. Throw on a couple of newer coils and it will make your spark much stronger and be easier than trying to just add a degree or two.

Just my thoughts, don't have any other advice to give on the subject.

Comment

l have to step in here and show some support for this poster, grampa you`re out of line and embarrasing yourself.Any bike can benefit from correct set-up,it`s a post about timing his bike for fksakes.Post in the other forums if you want to tell us how your old and wise ways have allowed you to pile the miles on your bike.lf we all behaved like you this forum would be a ****pile.

Comment

Thanks guys. I might look in to a new ignition. For right now though I'm still buttoning up the exhaust and front brakes. The brakes were toast when I got this thing so we haven't been road ready for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by fat_sac View Post
                            Do you move clockwise or counterclockwise to advance?
                            Looking at the ignition plate, the engine rotates clockwise, so you'd slot the holes so you can move the plate counterclockwise to advance. You may need to make a few other modifications to the ignition plate to get it to rotate -- I can't remember offhand if there are other tabs or flats in there that would keep it from moving. This would be relatively harmless, and it would be easy enough to move things back to stock if needed.

Dyna makes an nifty programmable electronic ignition that would allow you to tinker all you want with advances and advance curves. It's a wee bit spendy, but if you're replacing the ignition and coils anyway, what's a couple hundred more bucks? You're selling lots of those Fat Sacs, right?
                            Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

You'd also likely need to start using premium gas, too -- once nice little benefit of the 8 valve engines out in the backwoods is that they don't need premium gas when everything is mostly stock. Most riders don't mind buying premium, though.

All umbrage-taking and unwanted curmudgeonly advice aside, Grandpa does have a point -- as crude as the stock system of advance is, the potential benefits of advancing timing are very small unless the engine has been heavily modified in other ways.

However, it's your bike and your money -- tinker away if it makes you happy, watch out for pinging, and let us know what you find out.
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                              All umbrage-taking and unwanted curmudgeonly advice aside......
                              I've had to refer to the shop manual several times, but this is the first time I've been tempted to go get a dictionary.......:-D

Comment

Working...
                              X