Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

78 GS1000..how much faster is an 83 1100?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 GS1000..how much faster is an 83 1100?

l have a 78 GS1000 with VM29mm smoothbores,exhaust and all ignition upgrades. l have found out that my neighbor has an 83 GS1100 with pipe and VM33mm smoothbores l can buy for $500-. The bike has a custom seat and great paint. l`m thinking of swapping the 1100 motor into my 78 bike and then putting my spare motor into the 83 and selling it like that. He says that the 1100 will pull your arms out of their sockets and my 1000 isn`t doing that right now. Hmmm. Will the later motor swap over cleanly? what about the exhaust? any help appreciated

If that's an E model, that 1100 is a 16v. Totally different experience with a TSCC motor. It'll have a tremendous amount of power compared to your 1000, I think. Why swap the motor? Just keep the 1100 intact! 500 is a screamin' deal if it's in good shape. I don't think the motor is a straight swap anyway.

Comment

thanks for the reply T3. Why swap the motor? several reasons...lets see. :l like the style of the 78 a lot better
      :l can`t justify two big bore Suzuki`s
      : if l swap the motor l can sell the newer bike and recoup my outlay(l`ll install my spare 781000 motor in it)
      so l would really like to know what stands in my way of a no-hassle engine swap(hahahahahaha,no hassle,hahahahahaha)

Comment

Originally posted by raceman View Post
        so l would really like to know what stands in my way of a no-hassle engine swap(hahahahahaha,no hassle,hahahahahaha)
        Engine mounts? Chain alignment? It's certainly doable if you have welding/fabbing ability. Pretty sure it's not just a bolt-up. Buy the 1100 and sell the 1000 -- the look will grow on you! And you'll be happy about all the time/expense/trouble you saved.

Comment

hmmm,l still think it`s an easy bolt on swap..the cases look the same and that`s what matters

Comment

It is a bolt in for the 16 valve motor & the 16 valve pipe will work on your 78. Worst case is you also have to swap the wiring harness & fabricate an exhaust hanger bracket. Go for it, you WILL be happy with the power increase! Ray.

Comment

Sweet.thanks for that,just what l wanted to hear:-D

Comment

Rebuild your 1000 and put a 1100 kit in it.

Comment

Originally posted by JATO View Post
                  Rebuild your 1000 and put a 1100 kit in it.
                  okay.How do l get the extra valves and corresponding horsepower? For Free? My engine has less then 10-K miles on it,a rebuild would be big$$ and not nessasary.Once l re-sell the 1983 bike l will be out of pocket $0.00 and still have my low mile 1000 motor to swap back in the 78.To me it`s a no brainer,l won`t have the nicer looking 8valve head but otherwise it`s all good.l`m doing it and l`ll post some pics when done,sounds like a full weekend project to b safe

Comment

Ride the '83 before you tear it apart....

It's two generations newer and a far faster, better, and prettier bike.
                    The difference in handling and braking far surpass the huge difference in acceleration.
                    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      It's two generations newer and a far faster, better, and prettier bike.
                      The difference in handling and braking far surpass the huge difference in acceleration.
                      It's no use. He's determined to make things difficult! :-D

Comment

hahahaha..l do tend to choose the steeper path in most situations,hmmm. Anyhow l`ve decided l have yet another option here: put the older bodywork (tank,fenders,side covers,tail/seat,instruments) on the newer bike! Personally l Prefer my original 1978 style "Wes Cooley special " over the non-commital katana influenced style of the 83... What a dilemma....but l agree that the 83 chassis may have advantages over the 78 (alloy swing-arm)but the brakes look the same...l have the ability to make a complete frame here so l`m not too concerned with cutting and welding tabs to re-fit the older 78 bodywork onto the 83 and if fact sounds like an awesome weekend project. My 78 has some rare Morris Magnesium wheels that weigh about nothing so those would be swapped over along with the rearsets and lightweight drilled rotors,braided lines,fork brace,Dyna ignition and Andrews coils,etc. The 33 smoothbores look incredible on the 1100 motor:-D ,soon the backdating will begin.Purists,turn away!

Comment

Sounds like you have too many options please post some pics before and after of boths bikes! Then I will know if it is a do able projet for me.

Comment

Swap. Lol

Why Would You Want Too. Lol
                            I Had A Gs1000 Then I Got A 83 Gs1100e

Its Like Going From Weed To Crack Way More Hp In The 83 And Looks Better Keep It.. Sell The 79..
                            It Will Blow Your Mined!

P.s. Get Some Velcrow !! You Will Need It On The 83 Gs1100e
                            And To Think You Can Build It Up To A 1500cc Racebike If U Wanted...
                            Good Luck And Ride Safe...

Comment

Originally posted by motocycle shawn View Post
                              Its Like Going From Weed To Crack ... It Will Blow Your Mind!
                              Hah! Best comparison ever! \\/

Comment

Working...
                              X