Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

78 GS1000..how much faster is an 83 1100?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The motor should be astraight swap.

I was going to do the same with my 1100>>1000 frame.

yes there is a power difference, not HUGE but signifcant.

I kept my 1000S and sold the 1100E I had.
    It was just to...........I don't know.........ugly for me.

The earlier GS' had lines that flowed, not angles and weird shaped tanks....

Getting the flame retardent suit warmed up
    Keith
    -------------------------------------------
    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

I can understand your desire to swap the 16v motor into your 78 1000. (Even though I think you should get the 83 & just enjoy it!)
      What makes you think putting the old 1000 motor into the 83 frame is a good idea? If you decide to swap engines, just sell the 83 frame & 1000 motor. Less work & you'll still make money.
      As for the bodywork swap, keep in mind Suzuki changed the frames in 1982. The rear tank mount is different.

Terry

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback,l really appreciate it. Once l get both bikes sitting side by side and take the bodywork off l`ll have a better idea what l want to do. Selling a classic like my 78 just isn`t happening,that much l know.l choose my bikes for a number of reasons and historical significance is relevant here,the 83 has NONE in my opinion. The looks are growing on me though and l may cut loose a different bike or two to make room for it. Maybe. MY other bikes?: 74 kawi H2, a 76 kawi KZ900 and a 1962 Harley 900 XLH.All of these miss the mark for collectors due to their years being off a bit but they`re affordable like that.l have some other bikes l might sell though and the 83 IS only $500....

Comment

Originally posted by raceman View Post
          l`ve decided l have yet another option here: put the older bodywork (tank,fenders,side covers,tail/seat,instruments) on the newer bike!

My brother use to do that at the tractor pulls. They had two White tractors that differed only by engine size and the stickers on the body. The body panel swap was quick. Take the big one to the pulls with the little body panels. Some people call it cheating.

In your case Id call fwd thinking...or backwards....Im not sure which.

Good luck with whatever. Sounds like fun.
          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Swap. Lol

look at it like this if you change motor's your not not going to make it faster or look cooler it will just be come one of the basted bike that dont match . and every one will ask you what the guy was thinking that did this if they dont know it was you that changed it.. please dont kill to0 good gs bike's .

chop a honda. lol
            Last edited by Guest; 08-21-2007, 05:26 PM.

Comment

why would l put my old spare 1000 motor in the 83? so l could sell it and get my $$$$$$$$ back of course. As for ruining bikes l don`t think the 83 is a much lauded collector piece and l`ll still have the low mile 1000 motor to put back in my 78 if l choose. Does the name "raceman" imply anything in particular to you? l`m a speed loving gearhead and building speed is what l do,4 wheels or 2,it all gets the treatment. Now if l had a Vincent Black shadow and a Black Lightning sitting here and was talking engine swaps l would expect some flak but aside from the very mild collector interest in the 78 l see no crime here. Anyhow no decision has been made yet but l`ll be sure to post my progress. l COULD spend a TON of money AND time to get the performance out of my 1000 to match the 1100 but ultimately the 1100 is a far better platform for a high performance engine build.That much l know is common knowledge.l wanted to share this transformation here because it seems the serious gearheads are all over at OldSkoolSuzuki.info....

Comment

I wasn't crazy about the newer bikes either, but the look has grown on me so much that I prefer them now. Not that I don't appreciate the classic look of my 750, but the 700 is a darn good lookin' bike. I'd love nothing more right now than to pick up a 16v 1100E.

Besides, I think most people would actually consider the '83 a classic bike with classic looks. Different type of classic, but still the kind of thing that brings back memories and respect from lots of people.

Comment

l guess it depends how old you are when you talk "classic".l was already riding bikes when the 78 GS1000 came out and de-throned the Z-1. l think when you talk in broad terms about the classic Japanese superbikes it`s pretty well understood that those are 70`s muscle bikes.Sure there are exceptions and the original Katana is one of them but bodywork plays a key role and "classic" jap motorcycle style doesn`t include experimental tank and sidecover designs like the 83 1100.The real classics? the big three? pretty well acknowledged as the 1st gen CB750,the Kawasaki Z`s and the Suzuki GS`s. and many of their derivetives The common formula of distinctly separate tank,side covers and tail section was followed and this has become known as "classic japanese motorcycle" style. you follow? Old guys like me respect this design formula and some even feel "improvements" and modernizations to this don`t look like real bikes.The 1983 GS was one of the first Suzuki`s to represent an attemp to try to modernize that classic formula and blend the tank/sidecovers/tailsection into a monocoque look. lt`s an interesting footnote in motorcycle design and because of that might be considered a classic but compared to its` forebearers it`s a bland transition with no stylistic longevity.(lmo):-D

anywho l just put the bikes side by side with all bodywork removed. This is going to be sweet! the older bodywork will fit fine on the newer bike with some minor fabrication of tabs and mounts,stuff l can do with my eyes closed . l can`t bring myself to put the newer bodywork on the 78 though so l`ll be selling it off or trading for early parts.Or l may keep it.....l will have an updated chassis and power with classic 1st year styingerfection!!
                  Last edited by Guest; 08-21-2007, 04:42 PM. Reason: better info

Comment

Hey, you build it how you like it! Only requirement is that you post pics! ;-)

Comment

I had a 1980 GS1000S with an 83 motor in it. Talk about butchering a classic!

There were reasons though. It had been rolled in an accident, and was properly restored by my buddy. He painted it all black, put an 81 tank on it and called it good. He sold the motor to another guy who stuffed it into a GS750. When I bought the bike, he also offered me a Katana engine for $100 and an aluminum swingarm. I turned down both since I had nowhere to store it, although I can kick myself now. I now own an 83 1100E. Everytime I twist the throttle I think it is a classic! Personally, I would not do what you are proposing, since I think castrating a perfectly good 83 is a sad idea, but it's your money and your property, so have at 'er. My buddy said swapping the motor required only exchanging the front motor mounts from side to side and building up a spacer from washers to take up the slack. Everything else bolts right up, as far as I know. I will say that the 83 handles better, and does not exhibit the same slight weave as the 1000S chassis.

I like GS1000's, but to me, the 83 is a much better looking bike, a butch hulking bike with that fat black motor hanging out either side. I have a blue one, and the combo of blue/black is badass!

Comment

Since free advice is worthe the price, I'll chime in. Consider that the only person who might really want an 83 Katana is someon who know these bikes. That being said, if you take the engine out and swap in a GS1000, they're not going to pay squat. I know you're only trying to recoup $500. You'll probably get that much. But you won't be financing any other parts costs, and there always are hidden costs. Also, your 78 will no longer be a 78 and you will reduce it in value as well. The numbers won't match it is not period correc etc, etc. Guys butcher there bikes here all the time. If you want something that will have the silhouette of a 78 but won't pass close scrutiny, it sounds like you're doing the right. Just don't kid your self about value. If anything keep all of you stuff around so you can change back if you ever decide to do that. Also, remember that there was a time when people couldn't give camaros away. So, what has no value now may rise later. the Katana may be worth more in a few years. I know lots of people who have stories about the cars and bikes they wish they still had. I'm on of them. On the other hand, it's guys like you that make these bikes rarer and more valuable for those of us who already have them. Best of luck. Either way, I'd love to see pictures.

Comment

l knew l posted this question for a reason. The looks of the 82 (it`s an 82 l`m pretty sure because of the wheels) IS starting to grow on me....l guess having 2 big suzuk`s isn`t so bad. The main reason l didn`t want yet another bike is that l simply can`t leave anything stock and another bike means another money drain,l can`t help it. l look at those cross-hatch style mags and l retch,l NEED to swap those out,etc.. But perhaps a dedicated drag bike would be nice....anyone want to buy a set of lester wheels for a Z-1 or H2?

Comment

I agree with drhach!!!!!! you wouldnt even get $500 for that monstrosity!!! an 83 gs1100 with a 78 1000. If your worried about money and plan on selling the 83 anyway, sell the 83 for $1500 (at least) and put that money into your old relic to make it as fast and cool as an 1983!! MAYBE

Comment

well,as any Hot Rodder can tell you from the beginning of the MV age,the cheapest way to create a Hot Rod is to do an engine swap.Putting that 1100 motor in the 78 and selling off the leftovers will yield an incredible result: FREE speed. lt won`t cost me a penny and my build platform will be FAR superior to the 8V motor. As for selling the hybrid 83 for $500,that is a non-issue.You guys might care about that type of union but(no offence) you`re brand fanatics. Most people around here who would be potential buyers probably wouldn`t care much as long as it was a good runner.But l haven`t decided anything yet. Rebuilding the 8V for more power sounds fine but it`s a VERY costly option,easily $1000.00 for a mild stage and l`ll never have the superiority of the 16V... l may end up leaving the bikes intact..

Comment

You may want to save your receipts and calculate the hours that you spent doing the swap. I'd be willing to bet that you'll be shocked at how much your "free speed" ended up costing. Nothing's free. You'll spend money and you'll spend time (which is also money). I'm not criticizing. I've spent countless hours and many dollars on a bike that I got "real cheap". I don't regret it. It was fun, but I didn't kid myself about the fact that my "$200 motorcycle" was going to cost a lot more than that. In the end, I spent more than what I would have just buying a nice, running bike. Again, I knew that was the deal and I wanted a project so, no surprises. Have fun and seriously, keep track of your hours and the parts that you end up buying to make it work. It's good information to have.

Comment

Working...
                                X