Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

78 GS1000..how much faster is an 83 1100?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drhach View Post
    You may want to save your receipts and calculate the hours that you spent doing the swap. I'd be willing to bet that you'll be shocked at how much your "free speed" ended up costing. Nothing's free. You'll spend money and you'll spend time (which is also money). I'm not criticizing. I've spent countless hours and many dollars on a bike that I got "real cheap". I don't regret it. It was fun, but I didn't kid myself about the fact that my "$200 motorcycle" was going to cost a lot more than that. In the end, I spent more than what I would have just buying a nice, running bike. Again, I knew that was the deal and I wanted a project so, no surprises. Have fun and seriously, keep track of your hours and the parts that you end up buying to make it work. It's good information to have.
    Ain't this the truth. But if you just buy a perfectly running/restored bike, you don't have the bragging rights. Plus, you miss all the (mis)adventures of the build. That's why I do it. Damn the cost, the fun is in the build. I know I can't be the only one.

Having said that, I do see the historical significance of the 83 E model as well as the 78 S model. But like you said Race, it has a lot to do with age and my first street bike was an 83 Nighthawk 650. How I would have loved to have been able to ride an 83 1100E or even a 700 for that matter.

I would keep them both as they are and if you want to do a hybrid build like you mentioned, then do it from scratch. When I build my hotrods that is exactly what I do - that way nobody can accuse me of being a butcher. I've butchered nothing because they were all just parts to begin with. Somebody else already did the butchering, I did the resurrection - but on my own terms. It's expensive either way though, and in the end, your creation will not likely draw large crowds with stacks of money. On the other hand, those crowds do come for originals.

Comment

l don`t include my time in calculating project costs,nobody does that who spends as much wrench time on as many vehicles as l do.l could swap the motor out and be tied off and rolling in about 5 hours,maybe less. the 1100 motor into the 78 frame is a straight bolt up swap.Remember,, the 1100 l`ll be using has VM33 smoothies and a period correct Yosh pipe. So in less then a day and for less then the price of what the carbs would cost new, l`ll have a MAJOR engine upgrade.l intend to continue developing the motor so it`s only logical to use the 16V mill,the 8V just isn`t nearly as good a platform for ultimate power. l appreciate all replies but find it pretty funny that people are trying to talk me out of building a hot rod machine in the performance forum.l don`t join forums to talk about what a nice night ride l had or how l shined my saddlebags last night,l do it to explore and share experiences about bike building.To me bikes are something that get improved constantly through research,money and wrench time,l`ve never had a vintage bike that l didn`t trick out.The "old vehicle,modern engine" formula is one l`ve followed countless times in the build-up of custom hot rods/bikes simply because it`s proven to be the most economical way of meeting performance goals. Ever hear of the GSXR 7/11? l guess the members here just aren`t into building fast bikes:-|

Comment

wow what a cluster xxxx

all a can say is poor gs1000 i hate to see a great bike chopped up and trashed! over hp! you want hp i will sell you my 1400cc gs1150e motor
        then you will have power!!! please dont trash a good bike just to make it faster. in the end your still going to have a chopped up brick that gets stomped buy the local mommy's boys running gsxr700. love them both
        ride them both . why swap out motors. plus i was told the 83 is lighter then the gs1000 so if you swap all this out will you realy gain any thing !

im not trying to be rude please dont think i am . it just like puting a nitro motor in a dump truck... every one will ask why?

Comment

Hey, we love fast bikes. Nobody can argue that. It's just the cost/benefit ratio. You could skip the hack job and jump right into the building that 1100 for speed. It's a superior platform anyway.

Comment

l agree that the 83 chassis is superior,but it`s no beauty. The 1978 GS1000 is an historic motorcycle that some even consider the ultimate 70`s musclebike,the one that took down the mighty kawasaki Z. Among my gearhead,bikebuilding fellows certain bikes are the ultimate for musclebike collectors: The 73-75 Kawi Z-1 , the 69/70 CB750 , and the 78 GS1000. Yamaha had the XS1100 but it was butt ugly and largely unloved. There are some other bikes that could be included but mostly that rare air is reserved for those 3 bikes. My CB750 was stolen otherwise l would have them all,a year or two off but the same bikes. So l guess you could say l`m a bit of a purist when it comes to my bikes.l mod them but try to go with period correct goodies and leave things reversable.l`ve been doing this for 30 years now and l`ve built some fantastic machines,classic roadburners without the fluff.Engine swaps? l`ve done tons of them in all kinds of bikes and cars,it`s what l do.l build speed and when l do l start with classic vehicles. The 82 1100 is an ugly duckling,sorry but it`s true.l`ve seen some that looked okay,they do have some appeal but compared to the original GS? can you really be serious here? You can`t compare it to the first year bike for iconic panache,it`ll lose. l don`t like losers,raceman likes to win. A 78 with the chops to stay with the new guys is a vinatge hot rod winner(weaner?). l`ll be parting out the 82 on flea-bay or here when l`m done.:-D

Comment

Hey, to each his own. You asked, after all. ;-)

Best of luck with your project, and as I said, you better be posting some pics! ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by raceman View Post
                l agree that the 83 chassis is superior,but it`s no beauty...
                Oh, that hurts. :shock: :-D
                I say do exactly what you want, you own them. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
                Best of luck.
                BTW, the 1100E is credited with taking down the Honda 6.
                You might want to check to see if the crank is welded on the 1100, early ones were not, later ones were. If not, I suggest getting it done, they were notorious for twisting if they were not welded. Especially since you are into speed.
                Last edited by Guest; 08-23-2007, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by raceman View Post
                  Ever hear of the GSXR 7/11? l guess the members here just aren`t into building fast bikes:-|
                  Are you kidding me? Top is a slightly modified 750. Bottom is a 7/11 built from the ground up - still not finshed yet but real close.

Comment

Just remember, time is only money if you can trade it. Obviously, we could all go get part-time jobs at McDonalds, but for most of that don’t own a business, we swap other things (time with kids, other projects, etc…), but time is usually not money.
                    "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

Originally posted by Bert Patterson View Post
                      Just remember, time is only money if you can trade it. Obviously, we could all go get part-time jobs at McDonalds, but for most of that don’t own a business, we swap other things (time with kids, other projects, etc…), but time is usually not money.
                      Again, so very painfully true. And that time can't be repaid.

Comment

thanks guys,l really like your feedback here and until l actually get the new bike into my shop and get it out on the test circuit l won`t know my plans.l was just poking fun there about the lack of speed freaks here.Pics will be posted when progress is made on these bikes:-D

Comment

Working...
                        X