anyone ever use race fuel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone ever use race fuel?

I was wondering if anyone's ever tried filling their bike up with race fuel. If you don't know what I mean, it's the 100+ octane stuff that costs almost twice what regular gas does. There's only two stations that I know of in a 50 mile radius that have it. I know it has lead in it and they say you can't use it in modern cars because of the catalytic converter, but since our bikes don't have one, would it be harmful or beneficial? I wasn't thinking of making a regular habit of filling up with it, just maybe once or twice.

check out this thread for some octane discussion. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=113139

Comment

the only race fuel that might make a differance would be some of that oxygenated stuff, that you have to buy in 5 gallon metel barrels.

VP Racing Fuels is your one-stop shop for premium race fuels, lubricants, coolants, performance additives, small engine fuels, diesel care, and more.

other wise don't waste your money for street riding.
      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x
      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

I say this because we filled up my friend's single cylinder, naturally aspirated ATV with premium after having it run regular until that point. It was noticeably faster. Before you yell placebo effect, I wasn't told it was premium until after I rode it.

Comment

Originally posted by ShirleySerious View Post
          I say this because we filled up my friend's single cylinder, naturally aspirated ATV with premium after having it run regular until that point. It was noticeably faster. Before you yell placebo effect, I wasn't told it was premium until after I rode it.
          Placebo effect.

The only way the engine would be faster is if it was modified to take advantage of the higher octane (such as raising compression or advancing the ignition timing).
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Most every weekend.

Weather conditions can play a big part on how much power a given engine will make. Look up SAE-J1349.

Only real way to know what gains (or losses) the fuel would have is to have a controlled way to measure it. SAE corrected dyno.

For a stock GS motor I don't see the point. They were designed for low grade fuel. Race type fuels could actually hurt the performance. There a many types of it. I learned the hard way that even fuels with the same specs made by two different companies do not always burn the same.

If you want more power, I suggest getting a bigger bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              Placebo effect.

The only way the engine would be faster is if it was modified to take advantage of the higher octane (such as raising compression or advancing the ignition timing).
              (in a Brooklyn accent)
              You callin me a liar?

Comment

ill agree!

with ms.s. there ill put 94 oct.in my bike it will run better(and go through the gas faster) than regular petrol. faster? you bet you can feel it.thats just 94 vs.what 84(is that the norm or what ever is the norm.)
                bye vrrrroooossssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhh

marz

Comment

Originally posted by first timer View Post
                  the only race fuel that might make a differance would be some of that oxygenated stuff, that you have to buy in 5 gallon metel barrels.

VP Racing Fuels is your one-stop shop for premium race fuels, lubricants, coolants, performance additives, small engine fuels, diesel care, and more.

other wise don't waste your money for street riding.
                  Very correct. Higher Octane fuel will only make your bike run slower. Period.

End of thread please
                  1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

Originally posted by lecroy View Post

Oh, if you could only convince people of this.

Comment

i put some higher octane in my bike last week to drag race. it took about .5 seconds off my time.
                      2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                      82 gs1100L probably the next project
                      1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                      1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP
                      https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...2f1debec_t.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Eli69 View Post
                        i put some higher octane in my bike last week to drag race. it took about .5 seconds off my time.
                        it was oxygenated then... otherwise i'll have to call BS

Higher octane fuel will actually slow down the burn and cause slower times..
                        1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

In a stock motor designed for regular gas you mostly spend more money and dirty up your oil faster. That has been my experience thru 4 bikes...

Comment

Originally posted by Eli69 View Post
                            Using one of the billion on-line ET HP calculators that were based on car data to figure out some idea of what your claim is. Lets say your 1000cc L can run the 1/4 mile in 12.5 seconds flat. Say the bike with you and your gear weighs in at 650 lbs. Thats 65 HP. Say you put in that magic gas of yours and you ran a 12 second. Thats 75 HP or a gain of 10 HP or way more than 10%. That's huge!

The stuff most of the companies used was MTBE. Thanks EPA for looking out for us there.... Whole idea was to reduce emissions but I am guessing that the effects of MTBE will be with our kids kids kids.

Maybe I missed something, but adding Ethanol to gasoline is not increasing BTUs. Pure Methanol for example has far less BTUs/lb than pump gas. You can get more power out of it because it needs to burn at about 2X fuel air ratio of gasoline. The big reason to use it is not for this little gain in power but because the stuff is very stable. Ethanol is the same. Adding it to gasoline is going to lean things out. Newer engines can adjust for this, but older carb engines can't and they will run leaner.

When I was a teen in the 70's I remember reading a few articles about damage to snowmobiles from the additives. I even burned holes in a few of my own sled's pistons.

Leaner is quicker until she melts.... Maybe in your case you just need to jet it down a little and forget the fancy fuel....

Oh, if you could only convince people of this.
                            Yea, you have heard of a Horticulturists? There is an old saying...

"You can lead a Horticulturists but you can't make her think!"

Comment

Look, I'm not going to say it's for sure one way or the other.......

but a month ago I was getting smoked by Vespa's on my 450, and yesterday I tried some 93 octane and I blew the fairings off a turbo 'busa.

Not drawing any conclusions or anything, but yeah.....:-D

Comment

Working...
                              X