rear wheel nightmare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rear wheel nightmare

Hey guys I am about to burn my bike!!! I have a '97 kat 600 rear wheel I am trying to put on my gs 1100. which hub will work best for chain alignment?? I have tried the katana one, doesn't work. Someone told me gs500 hub might work, but it doesn't space the sprocket out far enough...even with spacers behind the sprocket. I also tried an sv 650 hub which works great for chain alignment but set the wheel about an inch to the right. Any ideas???

Does the stock GS hub fit in that wheel? I'm using about the same year RF900, 160 width wheel and both the GSXR 1100 hub and stock GS hub will fit it. Just an idea. Katmans first Katana build (not the one thats the sticky at the top of the forum) had many of the rear tire option dimensions listed in it. Try his home page if you can find it here.

Comment

OK, time for a silly question to show off my ignorance (and maybe further my education).

What's the advantage of going through all that trouble to put a Kat600 wheel on your 1000?

With all the problems you are noting, the pay-off had better be worth it. :shock:

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve, I don't want to speak for 80GS1100, IMHO the difference between radials and bias ply tires is huge and worth the effort to upgrade. Not sure why the Katana 600 other than its gotta be a wider radial than what came on the GS. For me it wasn't about the look of a wider tire but the performance of a radial.

These kind of builds aren't for everyone but for me sorting out the problems are part of the challenge. Now if it meant I didn't have a bike to ride while I was building it for 2 years then that might cause me some heartburn.

Everyone has their own thing, I ask the same question about people that build boats in bottles. Makes no sense to me, but looks good when they get finished, and I'm sure their happy while their doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          OK, time for a silly question to show off my ignorance (and maybe further my education).

What's the advantage of going through all that trouble to put a Kat600 wheel on your 1000?

With all the problems you are noting, the pay-off had better be worth it. :shock:

There are some performance advantages to be had with a rear wheel swap depending on what you put on back there.lf you were to choose a Wider/newer rim then you could run wider and more modern tires. A wheel diameter change down to 17" will allow fitment of the best tires available since the stock narrow 18" rear offers few choices for performance tires compared to the 17" selection. You have spoked wheels? personally l prefer the classic,timeless look of the spokes and since the Suzuki rims are aluminum most mags will be heavier...l would get a wider alloy rim for the rear and re-spoke it.No fitment issues,you keep the style of the bike and reap the benefits of a size change.lf you can re-spoke the rim yourself it`ll cost less then $200.00 for the parts:-D

Comment

OK, I can consider my education enhanced. \\/

I was not aware that the Kat had rims wide enough to wear radials. That is something I can understand and appreciate.

Good luck with your hunting.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I used the GS hub on the 5.5" GSXR wheel when I did the swap on my '82 1100E because the gixxer hub pushed the sprocket out too far as opposed to not far enough. Not to insult your intelligence but are you sure that the hub of what I'm assuming is the wider Kat rim is not spacing the sprocket out far enough? Sounds kinda counterintuitive. If you still need a wider hub I think I still have the gixxer hub laying around.

Comment

the kat 600 wheel is only 4.5 inches wide and does not use the same hub as the gs or gsxr, it uses a five bolt design which is smaller

Comment

Working...
                X