750 Cafe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

750 Cafe

Well, since I finished most of my appearance mods, I decided to make a foray into the performance mods section.

A little back story:

I have had some difficulty getting my machine to run as smoothly as I like. I have rebuilt my wiring harness, bolted on a 4-1, checked timing and played with my carbs (was still running with the stock airbox). Don't get me wrong, the bike ran okay, just not great.

Anyway, working around the airbox whenever doing anything with the carbs or electrical system really started to get on my nerves. So I decided to take the plunge and switch to pods. They really do look a heck of a lot better also.

I did plenty of reading here on the forum, and ended up buying 127.5 mains and 17.5 pilot (based on some of Keith's advice). I bought them from Z1 (I recommend them), as well as some pods and other parts. Got o-rings from the o-ring dude (carbs and boots), I also recommend him highly.

When it came time to rebuild the carbs I found out why the bike didn't run too well. And I also discovered that I was kinda screwed. Someone (and I am pretty sure it wasn't me) had sheered off a fuel mixture screw into its jet. There were some other smaller issues as well. I put them back together just to see how bad it would ride. Turns out, it rode horribly. So I began my search for a new set of carbs (vm26ss).

I found a pair from a kz1000 on ebay. Don't you love how the auctions are always set to end while you are supposed to be elsewhere. Anyway, I ended up being late for a meeting so that I could win the auction.

It ended up taking the dude a little longer than I expected for him to ship the part. I know I might be getting impatient but 10 calendar days is too long to wait in this day and age. When they arrived, they were well packaged, and broken. Most of the choke assembly was boned, and the whole setup was filthy.

I ended up frankensteining a single set out of the two.

I still have to do a final synch, but it pulls strong and fairly even, with no popping or misfiring. It starts easily and idles a lot better. Above 4-5 grand it screams. Gotta love all the workspace the pods free up also.

So, future performance projects, which I doubt I will do until the fall, when I can tear this thing down, include:

530 drive train conversion
    greatly simplified electrical system
    at least a head rebuild, and replace all case bolts
    progressive suspension
    ss brake lines
    fabing some rearsets

and now, some pics after her washing today:

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-22-2007, 09:39 PM.

Lookin good man!

What ignition are you running? I really saw allot of improvement when I changed the coils and ignition system over to the DYNA 3 ohm coils and a DYNA S ignition. With the points installed I static timed the crap out of that bike and followed up with a timing light repeatedly and never saw the results that I see now. Less fouled plugs, easier starts, and a smoother/lower idle were all acknowledged after this change.

Set it and forget it...

Z1 seemed to have the best prices.

Byrd

Comment

Stock ignition at the moment. I have been pricing the Dyna stuff, and I think that is the next major upgrade.

It does make me chuckle a little to think that I am going to put a $300 ignition system in a bike that originally cost me $600. But I intend to ride this thing for a long time. Speaking of time, if it were money, then I would probably be thousands of dollars in anyway.

Comment

Very nice looking bike.

I hope you left negative feedback for that guy on Ebay. Unless it stated that the part was broken, that guy's screwing people. And I don't care if I just pulled the part off of a 20 year old bike, I'm going to spray it down with some carb and choke cleaner at least. I buy lots of stuff off of Ebay, couldn't afford to ride an old bike without it, and when a part shows up in the condition you described the seller definitely hears about it.

Anyway, enough ranting, looks like you're on you way to a very fast and reliable machine. And I can't agree more about the factory airbox being a pain in the......

Comment

Working...
        X