Wrapping the Baffle in a Vance & Hines 4 into 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrapping the Baffle in a Vance & Hines 4 into 1

I used to have an '82 GS1100E, before the last two, that had a Bassani Competition Exhaust with a rebuildable baffle. Basically you removed the retaining screw and then pulled out the baffle and re-wrapped it in fiberglass from the local Home Depot or Lowe's Home Improvement Store.

My question is concerning the Vance & Hines 4 into 1 on my GS1150ES. The baffle is also removable and it appears it could be wrapped as well to quiet the exhaust down. For some reason this one is much louder at even low RPMs than the Vance & Hines I installed on my other '82 GS1100E before going with a Jardine exhaust system.

Has anyone ever wrapped the baffle on one of these and if so did it cut down on performance or just noise?

if you wrap it you give yourself a bit more back pressure which should give you a stronger low end. Give it a try, what does it cost, 5 bucks for wire and insulation and a hour of your time?
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

There's a post in the tips and tricks section by a guy that wrapped his baffle with stainless steel wool with great results. It'll never rot or rust out. It's what I'm planning on doing once the new baffle comes in.

Comment

Guyver, call Vance & Hines in Santa Fe springs & order the packing from them. Unless you have something better that works for you. Pack it the same as you did your Bassani & it will work fine. Ray.

Comment

Thanks guys...

As always great help and Ray to the Rescue.

Comment

Fibreglass roof insulation works fine for me... 8-[

Comment

fiberglass insulation\off road can packing\or the actual vance and hines stuff will all work about the same.

Other than quieting the bike a touch it gives you back pressure and ups your low end power. Though if the system you are looking at is like the one I have on my 550 it's not really a baffle... it's an open pipe with packing in it to git you more back pressure... If you want to stay neighbor friendly ditch it for something else... though mine sounds like no one elses and constantly I have folks asking if my 550 is an 1100...

Comment

Pack it with stainless steel wool or fiberglass and give your neighbors wax or foam rubber ear plugs to pack their ears with!

I've never liked quiet bikes. Quiet bikes=little old ladies pulling out in front of you in their land yachts.

Comment

Working...
                X