What to save from '96 Katana 600?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to save from '96 Katana 600?

I just picked up a nearly complete 1996 Kat 600 pars bike. The engine seems to be complete but locked up and the tank and all the plastic are missing. What I have left is:

Complete engine.
    Carbs (some sort of Mikuni flat slides?)*
    Coils*
    Forks*
    Wheels (Chrome. Ugh)*
    Swingarm*
    All electrics*
    Seats, lights*
    all brakes and hoses, cylinders*

Everything with an "*" is getting saved for now...so I'm pretty much turning the bike into bite sized pieces so I can fit it on the shelves in the garage!

Does anyone know if the carbs or swingarm particularly are good for swapping onto an '83 GS750ES? I want to upgrade the ES to '86 GSXR 18" wheels or these Kat 17in wheels (1) so I can run radials and better brakes along with some other mods. The swingarm caught my eye at first because the shock looks identical to the 'ES shock and the swingarm is a little wider and beefier but on closer inspection this looks like a STEEL swingarm.

Huh? I thought it would be aluminum but once I got it exposed I found rust in several places where its been scratched. If this is steel swingarm is it worth swapping into the GS750ES? I guess I could live with a few more pounds for a stronger arm and better tires....but I'm kind of surprised. I haven't been able to take a good measurement yet but it also looks a little wider at the pivot but thats probably something I could work around.

/\/\ac

(1) Well not THESE wheels but I'm hoping I can trade them or sell them locally for a stock set.

carbs

can i see a photo and how much? i want ti build a custom set for my gs750e dragbike. need a test set

Comment

Originally posted by motocycle shawn View Post
      can i see a photo and how much? i want ti build a custom set for my gs750e dragbike. need a test set
      Hi Shawn,

I'm going to keep the carbs to use on my '83/4/5/'02 GS750EF or on my GS550 Katana/GS700/? project bike. FYI they have the right spacing for the GS750ES/GS700 engines but thats about all I know about them so far. I haven't taken a measurement yet but the boot side of the carbs looks about 2mm bigger. If plans change I'll keep you in mind.

Check out www.katriders.com, I've just been looking around there and it looks like you should be able to find a set of carbs pretty quickly in their classifieds section.

Good luck, I can't wait to get to work on my project this Fall!
      /\/\ac

Comment

I think I may have had an eye on one of those Kats......did you find them on Craigslist?

Comment

So you're pretty sure the carb spacing is right? Is it push/pull throttle or just single cable? I've been thinking about a carb upgrade on my 700. GSXR carbs can be a little spendy.

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
            So you're pretty sure the carb spacing is right? Is it push/pull throttle or just single cable? I've been thinking about a carb upgrade on my 700. GSXR carbs can be a little spendy.
            Hey T3rmin,

Its a single cable setup just list the stock CV carbs. Looks like they should be a pretty simple drop in! I'll have some more info on the spacing and intake boots this weekend when I get a chance to dig out my spare engine but for now I can tell you they the spacing looks good between the two sets of carbs, the Kat 600 carbs are just about 2mm larger so the GS700 boots won't fit.

-/\/\ac

Comment

Watching this thread with interest!

Won't the stock boots stretch 2mm?

Comment

600 katana carbs will fit a 700/750, (I have a set) size and spacing are the same where they fit on to the head, but they are smaller on the airbox side so you would need to use some pod style airfilters. They are also 1mm smaller than the 700/750 carbs. (31mm) 34's off an '87 or '88 1100 gsxr (like I just installed on my 750) would be better. I have 600 kat wheels and front end assy. on my 750 also, (stock swing arm w/ Hagon shock) radial tires are the cat's.... any ?'s just PM me.
                Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Are using the newer carbs a good upgrade? Does this improve throttle response? Gas milelage? I would think all the emmissions junk would complicate things. Please fill me in; Im curious on carb swaps.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukfan78 View Post
                    Are using the newer carbs a good upgrade? Does this improve throttle response? Gas milelage? I would think all the emmissions junk would complicate things. Please fill me in; Im curious on carb swaps.
                    Yes, if you are going from 32mm to 34mm like I did. The responce seems better, but I don't have them jetted in completely either. Gas mileage? I don't care about that..... Only cali bikes had any smog type stuff on them, mine are just regular old carbs.
                    Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

I'd be somewhat concerned about gas mileage only because of range. The 700 has a small enough tank as it is...

Comment

The 700 has a small enough tank as it is...
                        Tell me about it..... I've got a 1.5 liter bottle that I carry on the back during long trips (multi-day) "just in case". A couple of times I've been out in the boonies of WV a little longer than I planned and wasn't sure I was going to make it back to anywhere before I ran out of gas.
                        I know the wisdom of carrying an additional bottle of fuel is debatable but this is a pretty strong container and I'm pretty sure than any impact that will open this thing up is going to have done me in at the same time or I'll be fairly distant from the bike. Ehh... some people wear a shorty helmet, some people are Full Face only.

-/\/\ac

Comment

Yeah I've been pondering the same thing. Wonder what the best way is? An idea I had is a tank bag with a gas bottle inside, and a hose going into the tank somehow. Like a piggyback tank. Flip a switch and it empties into the tank. Something like that. Would also give me something to lean on since this tank doesn't come up very high (which also means there's plenty of room).

Comment

Alright, much easier idea: auxiliary gas tank in tank bag with gas line going to V connection at carbs. Some kind of shut off/petcock would be needed of course. When I think of range, an extra bottle lashed to the back seat doesn't count. I want unfettered, continuous riding range.

Maybe I'll post a thread...

Comment

Alright, much easier idea: auxiliary gas tank in tank bag with gas line going to V connection at carbs. Some kind of shut off/petcock would be needed of course. When I think of range, an extra bottle lashed to the back seat doesn't count. I want unfettered, continuous riding range.

Maybe I'll post a thread...
                              Well I've been eying a valve used on commercial lawn mowers lately as a suggestion for a friend who's been putting a lot of cross country miles on his GS750L when it isn't busy trying to kill him. He ended up doing a few parking lot oil changes due to gas flooding the engine before I rebuilt his petcock for him.
                              I'm going to send him one of these valves to slip in theline so he can be sure he'll never have THAT problem again.... It's a simple "open or closed" valve for 1/4in ID line so I think it should work fine, its FOR gas and very simple so I don't think it'll go bad or get stuck. If you're interested I'll post the part number and you can probably pick one up at any outdoor power shop.

-/\/\ac

Comment

Working...
                              X