Front Forks Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Forks Question...

Ok, wasn't sure where this should really go, so I took my best guess and went for here.

I just received a front fender for my 550 re-build project. Auction didn't state (and I didn't even think to ask) but the fender is plastic.

So, here is my question. With this fender being plastic, and the original being metal, should I look into getting a fork brace?

Amos

Most Likely Yes, The Forks In My Opinion Need A Little Support Down
    Towards The Wheel. Other Models Have The Front Fender Brace
    Underneath The Plastic Faring. I Just Got One From Ebay Last Week
    They Usually Have The Same Bolt Holes But If Not You Can Always Modify. Try Boulder Bike Works In Colorado, But Be Specific And Clear On What You Need When Talking To Them.

Comment

Originally posted by tarzanscot View Post
      Most Likely Yes, The Forks In My Opinion Need A Little Support Down
      Towards The Wheel. Other Models Have The Front Fender Brace
      Underneath The Plastic Faring. I Just Got One From Ebay Last Week
      They Usually Have The Same Bolt Holes But If Not You Can Always Modify. Try Boulder Bike Works In Colorado, But Be Specific And Clear On What You Need When Talking To Them.
      That's what I figured.. Now to start searching for a brace. I am lucky in that I can take my time and find a good deal, as the bike is nowhere near being ridable at this point in time.

Quick search on e-bay found this:

Any thoughts? I was picturing (as you described) a metal brace that would bolt on under the plastic fender, but if this will also do the job....
      And it is designed (first model listed) for the 1981 GS550T.

Amos
      Last edited by Guest; 08-28-2007, 10:06 AM. Reason: Found auction

Comment

Ok, I admit.. I couldn't hold out, and made the purchase once I had the money in my account to do so.

I'm thinking I want to put the 550 back on it's wheels before winter for sure, then I'll have to work on the engine.

Amos

Originally posted by TheBigRed View Post
        That's what I figured.. Now to start searching for a brace. I am lucky in that I can take my time and find a good deal, as the bike is nowhere near being ridable at this point in time.

Quick search on e-bay found this:

Any thoughts? I was picturing (as you described) a metal brace that would bolt on under the plastic fender, but if this will also do the job....
        And it is designed (first model listed) for the 1981 GS550T.

Amos

Comment

I just replaced the painted plastic front fender with the metal brace underneath with a chrome metal one. The metal fender is a lot sturdier than the plastic one with a brace. However, I could not notice any difference in handling. If you want the brace its yours free, just reimburse me for postage. Email me offline at Menageri@ACD.net if you want it.

Comment

That brace looks very nice...except it isn't adjustable in any way. Most fork braces are adjustable to take into account slight misalignments due to production tolerances. Typical installation procedure is to bolt the main clamps to each slider and then pump the forks a few times before bolting the two clamps together in the middle. I'm not sure how important this is though.

Before you mount the brace pump the forks a few times and try to gauge stiction. After adding the brace do it again to judge if stiction increases - it shouldn't.

Good luck.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Bobber,
              I may take you up on that offer, it's been over a week since payment and no sign of the brace yet. Though, last auction I e-mailed the guy a bit early in the day, and what was on my porch when I get home but the item I purchased.. DOH!! So, I'm going to hold off till I get home tonight to make sure I'm not jumping the gun on e-mailing the seller.

Amos

Originally posted by Bobber55 View Post
              I just replaced the painted plastic front fender with the metal brace underneath with a chrome metal one. The metal fender is a lot sturdier than the plastic one with a brace. However, I could not notice any difference in handling. If you want the brace its yours free, just reimburse me for postage. Email me offline at Menageri@ACD.net if you want it.

Comment

Well, glad I went with my gut. Last night, arrived home and there it was in the mailbox. Looks every bit as nice as the auction picture.

Now, then.. to start putting the pieces of the puzzle back together... (yeah, right with a baby coming sometime in the next 2 weeks or so, like I'll have time to put together the motorcycle..)

Amos

Comment

Working...
                X