GS750E 1981 running hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750E 1981 running hot

OK so i've researched this a bunch on the site, just wanted to check some stuff out with ya'll before i start buying stuff.

I have a 1981 GS750E. stock everything, EXCEPT, the previous owner put on a gs1000 airbox and set of carbs (BS mikuni CV carbs) , but i do not know if they have changed the jetting. It's not the easiest to start in cold weather, but it starts fine 99% of the time, and always with a push down the hill.

I live in southern california, and the bike rides in 100 degree heat all the time. when i ride for more than 40 min from cold, the bike temp on the guage gets up to, and way past 320. I have checked the temp of the inside of the transmission case with an infrared non-contact thermometer, and i have seen temps up to 280, so i do not doubt that my gauge is reading correctly. As well, when the temp is this high, and i give it a good amount of gas, it pings a bit, i've been putting premium in it lately to help this, but it hasn't made much difference.

now here is the kicker, when i take out the plugs, they seem like they are the right color, no big indications of running lean. The rubber boots on the carbs are new, they don't leak air.

So basically, i have resolved that i have 2 options. Fitting an oil cooler to the motor, or richening the carb jets one size. I wanted to hear opinions on what you guys think I should do. I'm aware that changing the jetting on a bike that seems to be running ok might be problematic, but i'm concerned about the time it might take to fit an oil cooler to the bike, as well as the low oil pressure concerned these roller bearing bikes bring.
Working...
X