Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flatslides on a 550?

Anyone know if this is doable?

Lazy Labor day has got me surfing the net reading about GS's and see this a common thing to do for the big bore bikes, but wonder if they make a smaller size for the gs550's...

Any help/advice is always appreciated...
    1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

I bet 32's or 31's would work. They're easy to find, too.

Comment

What year 550 and what type of flat slides...The CV type or the throttle slide control type?
      If it's a 83-86 you will have to make runner adapters..not to hard and welding place can do it, if you can't...
      If you want new the Keihin CR specials can come in a kit for your bike. I woouldn't put bigger then 29mm unless you have bigger cams and a good exhaust. As slide carbs flow better.

Comment

Bikes a 1980 gs550e..

I'm just looking for a set of carbs that will help the bike breathe better, as well as help the throttle response.

So i see 31's or 32's will work, but how will i know if the spacing for the rubber inlet boots will be do-able? The other side will be pods obviously, but i'd like to know for sure before i do any spending as i can tell the price tag can get pretty pricey.

Comment

you really shouldn't call it a 550 when asking technical questions. it's more of a 700 right? i am sure there are people smarter then me that can calcutlate cfm given the displacment and help you find the carbs you need. Try asking lecroy

i have heard of people running smoothbore 29's back in the day on racing 550's which should be similar to what you have.
          Last edited by first timer; 09-03-2007, 05:23 PM.
          78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
          82 Kat 1000 Project
          05 CRF450x
          10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

The 1980 550 comes with 32mm BS CV carbs which are the same size used by the 650 and 750 models. I don't think the mildly tuned 550 mill can make use of larger mixers unless you mod the bike internally. A better performance mod might be to look for a 650 top end - which is reputed to be a bolt on.

Good luck.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              The 1980 550 comes with 32mm BS CV carbs which are the same size used by the 650 and 750 models. I don't think the mildly tuned 550 mill can make use of larger mixers unless you mod the bike internally. A better performance mod might be to look for a 650 top end - which is reputed to be a bolt on.

Good luck.

Yeah, it's got that, along with 750 pistons...

With the bore/stroke, it's a 740..

Comment

Thanks for the reply's so far guys... I've narrowed my searches and have been reading alot more into the smaller flatslides..

Any more knowledge/insight is greatly appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by brveagle View Post
                  Thanks for the reply's so far guys... I've narrowed my searches and have been reading alot more into the smaller flatslides..

Any more knowledge/insight is greatly appreciated
                  If you can get manifolds to mount RS34 flatslides you should be able to use them with that displacement. If the manifolds are the bolt on type then '83 and up 750E manifolds might do the trick. I have an old set if you want to give them a try. They look like hell but don't leak.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                    If you can get manifolds to mount RS34 flatslides you should be able to use them with that displacement. If the manifolds are the bolt on type then '83 and up 750E manifolds might do the trick. I have an old set if you want to give them a try. They look like hell but don't leak.
                    Hmm, thanks for the suggestion. Any clue where to actually find a set of RS34 carbs? Or any flatslides for that matter..

Ebay has a few but they are all for dirtbikes/snow mobiles...

Comment

Air/oil cooled GSXR (through '93), Katana (through '97), and Bandit (years??) carbs are CV flatslides with the right port spacing AFAIK. You can tell pretty easy on eBay by the pictures. The slides are... flat. ;-)

Comment

Check your intake port spacing. If they are 77-93-77 from port center to center then a rack of carbs from GS750 and up, Kawasaki KZ750 and up, and GSXR750 and up air/oil cooled engines will mount.

Comment

Oh yeah, I forgot you're talking a 550 head (or what head are you running?). My list was what will fit MY bike. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by brveagle View Post
                            Hmm, thanks for the suggestion. Any clue where to actually find a set of RS34 carbs? Or any flatslides for that matter..

Ebay has a few but they are all for dirtbikes/snow mobiles...
                            Pingel sells them brand new and are cheaper than anyone else I have found. You're looking at around $600.00 new from them and up to $400.00 + used on Ebay, when they come around.

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
                              Oh yeah, I forgot you're talking a 550 head (or what head are you running?). My list was what will fit MY bike. ;-)
                              650 head...

same as the 550 in terms of intake port spacing

Comment

Working...
                              X