1983 GS750e Seat options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS750e Seat options?

If anyone could help out on this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I love my 750e, and it's a great bike. However, I was wondering what my options would be to 'soften' the seat. I know that on newer bikes you can buy seats with gel or other soft materials in them. I have an extra seat and am willing to experiment. I'm just looking for some direction.

Let me know! Thanks a bunch!

-Blender

I can tell you that soft isn't always better...I have a Rick Mayer saddle on my Concours and I can push 1000 miles a day on it...IT WAS WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!!!!!!!!

He fit the Seat to my backside, some will say you can get just as good for less money...

I have had sargent, day long and corbin. none have even come close.
    Best money spent on my bikes so far...

just my opinion.

Hope that helps....oh and My GS700ES will get one when I'm done with the other stuff, fork swap ect....

Comment

Sargent Cycle made the cover on my seat and they used it to make a pattern so they should be able to make you one too. My bike has an ES seat but it looks the same to me. You can have them cover the seat only or replace some or all of your existing foam with various other types.

I only had them cover my existing seat foam but I'm extremely happy with the cover and its held up perfectly to several years of commuting and touring.

I'm going to try making the seat cover for my project bike myself but if I can't get something I like I'll choose to have them make a cover or try a local shop.

-/\/\ac

Comment

I'm in the same boat. I haaaaaaaaaate the seat on my L. Gayest thing ever. And actually kind of uncomfortable.

Unfortunately it's in perfect shape and I dont have a donor so I'm kinda screwed.

Keep this thread posted with what you do.

Comment

What price point am I looking at for Sargent and Rick mayer? I looked at the pricing section and didn't see older bikes.

Also - I'll keep this posted on what I decide to do. I may do a custom saddle at the beginning of next year but do a winter project of a self-done custom saddle.

Comment

Originally posted by Blender View Post
            What price point am I looking at for Sargent and Rick mayer? I looked at the pricing section and didn't see older bikes.

Also - I'll keep this posted on what I decide to do. I may do a custom saddle at the beginning of next year but do a winter project of a self-done custom saddle.
            Sorry, no idea on the price. Mine was made and installed for free since it was the first one they'd done and I don't really have anything to compare too. Very nice and high quality work though.

See if you can contact Scott at sargentcycle, thats who I dealt with.

-/\/\ac

Comment

Rick has a set price for a solo or a dual seat, solo means it is fitted for your front half of the seat, dual, for both you and your passenger.

I know he isn't the cheapest, but like I said before it's the best money I have ever spent. Now he can do it all from photo's and if you don't like it he will keep doing it till you do. He really stands behind his work and is easy to work with. Even if it's not in his gallery of photo's he can still do it.
              Send him a email or give him a call.
              When I decided to get a seat done this way was after spending dollars on the other guys seat and I couldn't stand it anymore . I would go about 300 miles and my backside was screaming at me to stop get off the bike and strech, but then I would find with in 25 to 50 miles it was screaming again, maybe it's because I'm getting older...but I know since Rick did my seat I have gone upto 1350 miles in 24 hours, just stopping for food and gas. I have done many 1000 mile days 18hr's.
              I know Rick himself has done the iron butt rally many times. On a seat he made for himself.

The way I would look at it is. 1 how long do you plan to keep the bike? 2 Do you like to ride over 250 miles in a trip? 3 Do I have the money to do this and get my money's worth out of the seat? 4 Do you like having a soar backside?
              That is the best way I can put it.
              Hope that all helps.
              Kevin

Comment

bwringer did a writeup on this. He purchased his cover and some gel foam from sargeants. He then cut out part of the original seat foam, put the gel in it, and recovered it. He has been very pleased with the results.
                If you can't find it with a search, ask him where it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Macmatic View Post
                  Sorry, no idea on the price. Mine was made and installed for free since it was the first one they'd done and I don't really have anything to compare too. Very nice and high quality work though.

See if you can contact Scott at sargentcycle, thats who I dealt with.

-/\/\ac
                  When did they do your seat? They did mine so long ago I don't remember when it was but I know it was back around 85 or 86 maybe. has held up well, thinking about having them re-do it.
                  Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Originally posted by kingofvenus View Post
                    When did they do your seat? They did mine so long ago I don't remember when it was but I know it was back around 85 or 86 maybe. has held up well, thinking about having them re-do it.
                    This was just back in 2005. They said they didn't have an ES pattern so they'd make one from my seat and do it for free....maybe they made a mistake if you had yours done a decade before! Sooner or later I'm going to get some gel type material and replace part of the foam with it but even with the 25ish year old stock foam I still find 12 hour+ days comfortable. (enough)

-/\/\ac

Comment

Mac, my goal is to basically turn my bike into what you have for your 84' esf.

Comment

Blender

I am currently getting my seat recovered. It will cost around $125. I was going to cut the foam down and shape it, but wanted to keep the original seat untouched since you can no longer buy them. I am looking for a used seat pan, and when I get that, I will have that cut down and new foam added. For these bikes, gel is not necessarily the answer. If you have the foam cut down right, it is very comfortable. Remember, you are most likely sitting your arse on 24 year old foam. New foan cut to shape and recovered will feel and look better. Just my two cents.

Comment

Thanks!! It's mainly the fact that i have a FREE extra seat to play with that I'm even TOYING with the idea of doing it myself...that, and the idea of being able to save a couple hundred bucks...and, if it doesn't work...having the ability to go buy the couple hundred dollar seat

I'll keep that in mind about the foam. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                          X