No announcement yet.

Cold air intake / ram air?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is my idea for an airbox. The blue would be the metal. The red would be the airfilters and the green are the carbs. I was thinking of building the two side tubes from pipe about twice the size as the carb openings.

I wanting to build it more for looks then anything. What do you guys think of a setup like this.

Comment

If it's just a box, would that make for efficient airflow? I'd think it'd be more effective to have like a 1 into 2 tube or pipe for each side, so that the pushed air is going directly to the carbs, instead of into a box and get confused.

I'm also curious about the pod filters. They all have a metal cap on them...wouldn't pointing them into the wind deflect a lot of air as well. If you were to do a set up like this, it would be cool to find some pointed air filters. and if you're making your own setup, you can use what ever size you want.

or do away with the air filters and just make scoops, like mentioned above and figure out some sort of internal filter element.

All just thoughts....good luck with your project.

peace

Comment

Sacrifice space in the gas tank or enlarge it to have internally sealed snorkels run through and exit out each side of the tank next to the steering stem. Disturbed air would need to dealt with around the headlight fork area, I imagine.

Plumbing out the rear of the tank could maybe achieved from underneath the tank above the rear portion of the carbs intakes.

A guy who raced at Seattle and Portland had a air/oil GSXR 750 where he lopped off the outer 2 cylinders, plated it and had two flexible black shop vac hoses running from the fairing to an airbox. I think a later version of the bike was featured in Sportbike awhile back.

It's entertaining to read all the "gearhead" brainstorms.
        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

The "simple":shock: solution is to relocate the ignition coils and run pipes through the "gap" created. Now of cause you are still somewhat space limited, but it would be a cooler air supply at least, add some sort of scoop at the front say under the headlight you may be headed in the right direction. Remeber also that "vacuum cleaner" pipe is corrugated which would upset the airflow by creating a "boundary layer" smooth walls would be what you are looking for, possibly heated and sculted PVC pipe, leading to the stock aircleaner housing.

Dink

Comment

Originally posted by Dink View Post
            The "simple":shock: solution is to relocate the ignition coils and run pipes through the "gap" created. Now of cause you are still somewhat space limited, but it would be a cooler air supply at least, add some sort of scoop at the front say under the headlight you may be headed in the right direction. Remeber also that "vacuum cleaner" pipe is corrugated which would upset the airflow by creating a "boundary layer" smooth walls would be what you are looking for, possibly heated and sculted PVC pipe, leading to the stock aircleaner housing.

Dink
            I've already replaced and relocated the coils. So I might be able to do something like that.

Comment

THIS IS THE INTAKE IM CURRENTLY BUILDING FOR MY 1982 GS1100GL BOBBER[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/JASON1%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

The typical ram air set up , ala srad or zx-11 , mainly pressuizes the float bowls. The routing of the vent hoses from the carbs is very important. We have tried to "blow thru" CV carbs with turbos, and have had some luck, but not much. The air correction jet in the inlet horn of the carb must be modified. I would think smooth bore carbs would be the best for the potential mod. My Hayabusa has it and the airbox looks ike something from star wars.

Comment

Working...
                X