Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help. Wanting to lose stock air box in favor of K&N pods.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help. Wanting to lose stock air box in favor of K&N pods.

I know the carbs have to be rejetted. But I have no idea as to what size jets and which jet (if there are more than one) to replace. This would be on a stock (for now) 82 GS 750 T. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

A jet kit would be a good idea. Then you'll now what size is needed. Individual filters may not be a good idea with a stock exhaust.

The bike may perform worse than the stock setup. Be prepared to fiddle with the carbs if you go the pod route. Much patience is mandatory.
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Only do it if you have the mods to support it. Unlike a FI vehicle, you WILL NOT see a worthwhile gain in performance by just adding pods. You need the mods to support this..
      1980 Gs550e....Not stock...

Comment

You will see some improvement though if you get a free flowing exhaust, the pods, and then rejet accordingly. You may also want to adjust your valves, new plugs, general tune up before you get too far into the jetting as you may end up having to do it again to get the most out.

Pods are nice as they give you additional room to work around the carbs, and allow for placement of additonal accessories.

Comment

I've already done plugs and changed oil/filter. What else is recommended for a tune up on these? I plan on getting a decent exhaust for it. Any suggestions on the exhaust? I looking a little on the cheap side since I only paid $50 for the bike.

Comment

If you are going to try to balance intake and exhaust, you could be looking a bit of a mess. that being said, I run pods (UNI-cause they are cheap), with a rejet, and a stock exhaust

The only way to know for sure if your new exhaust is going to be balanced with your new intakes, is to find how much more fuel and air is going into the engine (Use the increase in main jet size as an indication, and measure as a percent). Assuming you have your bike tuned correctly on the intake side, there should be a near equal percent increase in mass of exhaust gasses. Now all you need to do is lower resistance in your exhaust enough to maintain the correct back pressure on the engine. There are a couple of ways of doing this. You can't really do anything about the diameter of the exhaust but either use an exhaust with bends of a larger radius, use a shorter exhaust, or a muffler that is less constricting.

NOW THEN.. STOP WORRYING. The science really isn't nearly as precise as it sounds. There are far too many variables that can cause changes to your exhaust pressure. things like atmospheric pressure, temperature, the type of gas you use, even the direction your plugs are facing.

If you just put on your pods. and then start increasing your jet size until your bike is running great (Do spark plug readings) then you will get a noteworthy increase in power. If you still feel like doing more, then the next easiest step is to make sure your intake and exhaust ports are smooth. use a rotory tool to make it easy.

After that, you need to start thinking about exhausts.

Comment

Go for the pipes instead...

Hi,

I suggest scouring ebay, etc., for a set of new old stock pipes. Dynojet has great customer support via email. Let 'em know what pipes you installed, what pods you're going to install and they'll tell you the kit to buy. Just realize that a set of pipes can run $300, pods $150 and dynojet = $130. That's a lot of dough.

Inevitably, you'll run into issues. I broke an exhaust bolt when removing my stock pipes to add the Vance and Hines 4 to 1's. It took me about 20 hours with torches, easy outs and then finally drilling out and re-tapping the threads. For good measure, I chased ALL the threads before installing the new system. I would like the look of pods. But I can't substantiate the cost involved for a little more HP and a lot more cussing. With the age of our bikes, expect galvanic corrosion - you'll be snapping steel bolts in the aluminum block.

So, it depends how much experience you have in wrenching, how deep your pockets are, and how long you may want to de-commission a running bike. These projects often take much longer that they're supposed to.

Just my two cents, bro...

Comment

Thanks for all the input. Reaslistically, this is what I want to do if I decide to keep the bike. Right now I'm fighting with charging problems. I've had the stator and rectifier on and off at least a half a dozen times. It's starting to get the best of me. :? I does run very well, but I just may get rid of it and get a Speed Triple next spring. IF I can get the charging problem fixed I may go the pod and exhaust route.

Comment

if you go to the main gsr page, there is a link on teh side to the GS garage. There you can get lots of info on the charging systems and why we all hate them.

working on the old engines can be a pain, but for me at least, the boost was worth it.

also, you can go cheap on the jet kit by buying sets of jets from your local motorcycle shop, and then slowly increasing the size of your jets till you are running strong.

Comment

Do the carbs have to be pulled to change the jets? Or can the stay on the bike? I'm a little carb stupid so any info would be appreciated.
                    Thanks
                    Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by BGPKR View Post
                      I'm a little carb stupid so any info would be appreciated.
                      Thanks
                      Geoff
                      If you are carb stupid, don't even think about it. Keep it stock, the thinking has already been done for you.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        If you are carb stupid, don't even think about it. Keep it stock, the thinking has already been done for you.
                        By me saying that i'm carb stupid does not mean I don't understand how carbs work but that I don't have a whole lot of experience working on them. I consider myself very mechanically capable. And most of my wrenching has been on FI motors. This is something I could do but don't have a manual for reference. I didn't mean for any confusion.

Comment

Working...
                        X