Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep us posted ..

Originally posted by Ludeykrus View Post
    I will be doing this on my 450 at least, and in the next few weeks.

Comment

I just checked the parts diagram for a 2004 R1. It is a dual cable throttle. I think I need to try this!

Comment

The early R1s with carbs are single cable and the FI models are dual cable. Can't tell you the exact years. I think 2003 on is FI.

Comment

Well I just "Won" a set on Ebay from a 2004. Will post pic when I have them on. I already have a push/pull 1/4 turn throttle now for my RS38s but the cables are a little long with the GSXR1100 forks and lower FZ1 handle bars. It was perfect before with the stock set up. The R1's look like they are a smidge shorter and they seem to start off along the axis of the bars which should help to tuck them in.

My buddy's wife always says "What do ya mean you "won" it on Ebay when you have to pay for the item and its shipping. Now when she and my wife go shopping they say "We won these dresses at the mall" Pay back is a B%^ch.

Paid $15 for the throttle and $15 for the shipping which is way to much since the place is only 45 miles from my house.

Comment

can you just get the throttle tube assembly and then buy the grips you want???? I want to do this to my 83,650.

Comment

Originally posted by tconroy View Post
              can you just get the throttle tube assembly and then buy the grips you want???? I want to do this to my 83,650.
              Yep, Usually they will will come with what ever the PO thats selling them on Ebay had. Just strip the old one off and put on what ever you like. I wouldn't buy it new. They are very cheap and plentiful on ebay.

Comment

Picked up on this thread as my 1000 throttle tube is shattered and needs replacing + I like the idea of not having to grab a handful and a half.

I checked out various threads on the GSXR forum and can't see for definite if this mod only works with a 2004 R1 tube as there are hints of using tubes from earlier models and R6 tubes. Has anyone here managed the mod, push-pull, with any of these others?
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer
                75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but maybe I didn't read each post closely, but will this mod ONLY work with Push/Pull set ups? Or does it not matter?

Comment

Originally posted by darkbane View Post
                    I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but maybe I didn't read each post closely, but will this mod ONLY work with Push/Pull set ups? Or does it not matter?
                    After looking on MRCYCLES.Com I don't think any year R1 came with a single throttle cable.

I don't know if you can eliminate one of the cables and rely on the carb's return spring or not.

I originally thought the R1 carb models only had one cable but that appears to be wrong. I have a 2004 R1 throttle and its got two cables but thats what I needed for RS flatslides.

Comment

Can somebody explain why I would NOT want to use only a single "pull" cable and scrap my two cable setup? The return spring is so stiff on my carbs I think might be a little guillotine if you stuck your pinkie under the slides.

Comment

do you have any pics?

Comment

Originally posted by dardoonk View Post
                          Can somebody explain why I would NOT want to use only a single "pull" cable and scrap my two cable setup? The return spring is so stiff on my carbs I think might be a little guillotine if you stuck your pinkie under the slides.
                          It's up to you, but if that return spring breaks, or falls off, it's kinda nice to have a way to back off the throttle.

Comment

you have to have a cable because you are running a vm carb with mechanical slides that can and do freeze/ice up in the open position. When that happens you need the pull cable to close it. Unless you like going wfo into a corner. With the Cv carbs butterfly valves are less likely to freeze up, but saying that even my modern sv1000 with big 52mm butterfly valves use push pull cables to be safe then sorry.
                            78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                            82 Kat 1000 Project
                            05 CRF450x
                            10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer View Post
                              Unless you like going wfo into a corner....
                              Aw heck, is that it?? I figured it had something to do with my safety :-D
                              I suppose I'll keep it then.

I hadn't thought of the icing, but I just didn't think the spring would pose a problem...

Comment

I like living on the edge. A rebel. I dont have my push throttle cable installed. :shock:8-[

Comment

Working...
                                X