quick turn throttle installed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quick turn throttle installed

Just finished installing a yamaha r1 grip and throttle assembly on my gs550. Was well worth the $20. All you need is a throttle assembly from an r1, not quite sure the year range but I used a 2004.

Yamaha part numbers are...
    4YR-26240-02-00 <--throttle grip/tube assembly
    4YR-26241-02-00 <--lefthand grip

No mods other than cutting off old grips, installing new, and adjusting cable play. The part that winds the cable on the throttle tube is significantly larger on the r1, hence the quicker turn. Now I don't have to regrip to pull her wide open.
    So for those of you who are in need of new grips anyway, or want a quicker pull, I highly suggest this mod.

Sweet! How's it feel on the road? Did the throttle tube fit right into your GS throttle "keeper", the part that houses the end of the throttle tube?

Comment

Feels great on the road, makes it a lot more fun grabbin full throttle with ease. Yeah, the throttle tube fit just like the stock one. No mods at all

Comment

Cool info....thanks!

Comment

awesome. will be doing
          1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

sign me up

\\/hey hey i like that one very much moto x quarter turn that does sound fun do you reckon it will work on a 81 GSX400F KAT[-o<

Comment

Wonder if a GSXR throttle tube would work as well to get the quick throttle action? Would like to "keep in the family" by using a Suzuki part if possible...

Comment

I dont think it would give you as quick of a pull, simply because I got the idea from a gsxr board. The guys there were doing the same mod to their newer bikes and I figured it would work on ours.

Comment

Yep, installed a 01 R6 throttle tube on my 03 SV650S. Much easier to get WOT.

Comment

Are they push/pull, 2 cable designs?

Comment

It's a single cable, It will work BUT NOT advisable to use on slide type carbs that use push pull dual cables

Comment

Some R1 and some FZ1 cables are definitely push pull designs. I have the 2001 FZ1 and its push/pull. Most of the R1 throttle assys I've looked at on Ebay are push/pull. The important question is whether the cables are long enough and if they will interface with Mikuni carbs.

By the way I was hoping this idea wouldn't leak out untill I had bought mine. Now the street price will go through the roof.

Comment

Well, I hope this works as described cause I just order the parts for both of my GS's.

Comment

Anyone else done this ?

I am thinking about doing a combination of this and grip heaters some weekend soon.

Mike

Comment

I will be doing this on my 450 at least, and in the next few weeks.

Comment

Working...
                              X