GS1000 Oversized Cylenders and Pistons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000 Oversized Cylenders and Pistons?

I have it on good authority that there was such a thing, an oversized cylender/sleeve and piston set, the whole top-half, minus head, that was supposed to bring the displacement up to almost 1500cc's. I was told this by 3 people, one the owner builder of one, and the owner and builder of another, (so 3 experts on 2 bikes) that this was done to these. I rode one of these (this is the one that the owner got from the builder becasue the original owner who comissioned it, took it for a 5 minute test ride, brought it back pale and shaking, and without a word simply left it, and wasnt ever heard from agian... must have really scared him!) and it sounds like the truth, that sucker was really fast, and just sounded bigger, period. I know that the GS1000's were about the only things that gave the Harley-Davidson's any real competition in motorcycly drag racing for at least a decade, so there had to be an aweful lot of performance parts made for them, but I havent had a lot of luck finding any info. I just bought myself a '78 GS1000 (previously owned a '79 GS1000, a GS750, GS550 and a GS650) and I'll need to do the usual mods, anyway, thought I'd ask if anyone knows what I'm talking about.

The usual mods include (this is based only on my own experience, stuff that they just plain have to have done to them to be ridable) for ALL older Suzuki's: The addition of a ground wire from the regulator/rectifier to the ground on the battery- these were inproperly grounded by design oversight- rubber bushgings between that and the frame, and the only ground connection.... no more dead battery syndrome
    For any Suzuki's prior to 1980, the retrofitting of a 1980 or later electronic ignition system, bye-bye breaker-points.
    And the introduction of 30wt fork oil: I had the "assembly" pamphlet that the dealers got from Suzuki (this is the one that instructed how to take what came in the crate, and assemble to what you'd see on the showroom floor, they come "some assembly required", to fit in a smaller crate), and they actually said to mix 30wt motor oil and automatic tranny fluid 50/50 for the front forks, and that should have been how they were sold new, that is litterally what the factory instructed the dealers to use for the new bikes!
    Last: My GS650 came to me with 4 into 4 chrome pipes with "cherrybomb" type exhaust tips/mufflers (though completely hollow when I got it) installed by one of it's previous owners, I just LOVED those (they were why I got the thing), unfortunately, they were too small to fit anything larger, anyone ever heard of 4 into 4 exhausts for a GS1000?

You might want to PM jskellington. He has a GS1000 with the 1500 kit in it....maybe he can give you some info on it.
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

It is impossible to make the GS1000 to 1500cc. The four center cylinder studs are in the way. You would have to use GS1100/1150 cases and adapt the GS1000 head.

Biggest one I have ever heard of, using a GS1000 case, was 1320cc using one of our big blocks.

The NHRA pro stock motors use GS1150 engines with an aftermarket 2 valve head.

Jay
      Speed Merchant
      http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Could you offset bore to get that kind of displacement?

Comment

Your people could be talking about the 4v. 1000 Id guess its the same as the 1100 except the bore

Comment

Originally posted by LarryT View Post
            Your people could be talking about the 4v. 1000 Id guess its the same as the 1100 except the bore
            Now that can be done. You can find it right here;
            Speed Merchant

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
              You might want to PM jskellington. He has a GS1000 with the 1500 kit in it....maybe he can give you some info on it.
              I stand corrected. HIs is an 1127 kit.
              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
              79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jay View Post
                It is impossible to make the GS1000 to 1500cc. The four center cylinder studs are in the way. You would have to use GS1100/1150 cases and adapt the GS1000 head.

Biggest one I have ever heard of, using a GS1000 case, was 1320cc using one of our big blocks.

The NHRA pro stock motors use GS1150 engines with an aftermarket 2 valve head.

Jay
                Got any more info on this Jay. I want to big bore a GS1000 (2 valve) for road riding (basically an AMA Superbike copy). Want lots of grunt without being too peaky. And want it to look like a fairly stock motor.

Comment

Weren't the AMA Superbikes 1000cc?

You can go 1085cc in the stock sleeves, and I think the largest we could go with sleeving the stock block was 1176 or 1233cc( can't remember). After that, it required a big block.

We only made about 50 of those 1000 blocks. It might pretty hard to find one.

Jay
                  Speed Merchant

Comment

Thanks Big Jay.

Yeah the AMA Superbikes were on a standard bore GS1000, but I'm building a road bike so I don't have to worry about scrutineering. And I don't want something as touchy as the Wes Cooley bike for the road. I was thinking to just go larger cubes for good solid grunt throughout the rev-range.
                    Might look into dropping a bored out GS1100G block onto the 1000 motor, as I'm a bit dubious about taking the 1000 block out to 1200+ cc's.
                    Either that or stop being a dick about it and drop in a full house GSX11 motor :-D

Comment

Originally posted by TheRedlineMan View Post
                      Thanks Big Jay.

Yeah the AMA Superbikes were on a standard bore GS1000, but I'm building a road bike so I don't have to worry about scrutineering. And I don't want something as touchy as the Wes Cooley bike for the road. I was thinking to just go larger cubes for good solid grunt throughout the rev-range.
                      Might look into dropping a bored out GS1100G block onto the 1000 motor, as I'm a bit dubious about taking the 1000 block out to 1200+ cc's.
                      Either that or stop being a dick about it and drop in a full house GSX11 motor :-D
                      How about a bored out Bandit 1200 motor??

Dink

Comment

Wanna maintain the air-cooled look. Most people wouldn't even realise the difference between the GS/GSX donks.
                        But the oil burners do look pretty good in them, and big Kats. I could get a hold of a GSXR1127 motor but it wouldn't look like an AMA copy.

BTW how's the Thunderbolt way? Had a great time on it last year on the way to the AFR annual meet. Awesome balls and all road.

Comment

Thunderbolts Way is doing OK (BTW my "private" test & tune strip:-D) Next time you are up this way let us know & call by.

Dink

Comment

Will do, I'm supposed to be catching up with some friends in Newie who love that road, sometime in the coming months.

Comment

Big Jay is correct, the biggest you can go on a GS1000 2V is 1327cc and that is if you use the GS1100 crankshaft (longer stroke) and a big block which was only made by APE for the 1000.....Heres the rundown

Stock block can go 1085 or 1100cc (1100 makes the block a "dish rag")
                              Stock block with sleeves can go 1175cc (properly done is the "hot" set up)
                              Stock block with sleeves can go 1238cc (yep dish rag again, too flexible)
                              Big Block (by APE) with 1238cc is bullet proof (but hard to find) I have one!
                              The above with 1100 crank yields 1260cc
                              Big Block with 1100 crank and 1327cc kit is the absolute max for this motor
                              Big Block with 1000 crank and same kit above yields around 1300cc

Any displacement above these figures is using the 4V bottom end with more generous stud spacing and major head machining to accomodate such......

BadBillyB

Comment

Working...
                              X