mags- tubed to tubeless???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mags- tubed to tubeless???

I've an '82 650L. The mags are really nice. I'd like to put some tubeless tires on these rims. Anyone know if that conversion is possible?

The early mags were supposed to be a little porous. It's been suggested if you want to run tubeless tires on a non-tubeless wheel that you coat the inside of the rim with something to seal it. There is supposed to be a little difference in the wheels where the tire bead seals up.
    This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
    Last edited by Guest; 10-13-2007, 11:18 AM.

Comment

I have used GS 400, 425, & 450 front wheels tubeless on GS1100 dragbikes so I could use the 18 inch front slicks without any problems. I've run WELL into the 8 second range with no issues. Ray.

Comment

Tried it on my 650 and one wheel wouldn't hold air (rapid deflation at speed = suckage). But that may be the result of shoddy mounting by the crappy tire shop down the street.

Tried it on the 750 and it worked great. Seeped air slowly, but it was solid. That time I mounted them myself and cleaned up the inside of the rims so the bead sealed. If you want something done right...

The 700 is tubeless from the factory. Nyah. ;-)

Comment

my 86 took tubeless Cheng Shins front and back OK. The shop guy told me he could not guarantee they would hold air because the inner edge of the rim is not designed for an airtight seal to the tire bead. The rear holds air fine and I lose a few psi out of the front a month, no big deal. The mounter took universal valve stems and fit them to the wheel with no issues.

Comment

The 83 had a tubeless tire installed and it would drop 15 lbs of pressure a week. Pain in the azz, but forced me to check pressure and top off.
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
            X