Progressive for '78 GS 750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Progressive for '78 GS 750

I'm thinking of purchasing fork springs and shocks for the '78 GS 750C that I'm restoring. Based on the Progressive website, the following part numbers apply for the "E" model:

Fork Spring 11-1108
    Shock 12- 1204 B
    Shock Spring 03-1367 B/C

Could someone confirm that these are the correct pieces for the standard "C" model? I was told a while back that the C and E models use the same suspension parts.

Thanks,
    rickt

Originally posted by rickt View Post
    I'm thinking of purchasing fork springs and shocks for the '78 GS 750C that I'm restoring. Based on the Progressive website, the following part numbers apply for the "E" model:

Fork Spring 11-1108
    Shock 12- 1204 B
    Shock Spring 03-1367 B/C

Could someone confirm that these are the correct pieces for the standard "C" model? I was told a while back that the C and E models use the same suspension parts.

Thanks,
    rickt
    Fork springs should be right. If you get rear shocks its kinda up to you.Measure the shock that is on there now. you can go 1/2 longer if you want or just keep the length you got. What matter's most is the spring weight.If you ride 2 up you will want a heavier spring.Go by your weight.I have progressives front and rear but my back shocks are a little stiff.i have side cases and carry some stuff in them but never ride with a passenger.They are stiff over bumps but i can be as aggressive as I want in the turns with no problem.i have had them all summer and they are getting to feel a lot better the more I ride and I have them on the lowest setting.I had both side cases packed down this weekend and went on a 600+ mile ride and they did great.real smooth on the highway at all speeds.It does make a big difference and probably the best upgrade you can do for these older bikes that will make a noticeable change for the price.

Comment

tconyroy

Thanks for the info. I measured the stock shocks. Center eye to eye looks like 12 1/2 to 12 3/4 in. The 12-1204 Progressive shock looks to be 13". Is this my best option? Does the 1/2-1/4" really make a difference?

rickt

Comment

tconyroy

Thanks for the info. I measured the stock shocks. Center eye to eye looks like 12 1/2 to 12 3/4 in. The 12-1204 Progressive shock looks to be 13". Is this my best option? Does the 1/2-1/4" really make a difference?

rickt
        put your bike on the center stand and you will get the right measurement and then go with that size. You can call there 1-800 # and talk to them about it but I would go with what is on the bike now that way you will have the right setup for the front and rear.That's just my o pion. It is possible you have 13" if you are measuring without putting it on the center stand.Shocks are measured at full length, on the center stand with the back wheel off the ground. I hope this helps.I have never heard of a 750 c model before. Are you sure it is not an E???
        Last edited by Guest; 10-21-2007, 10:13 PM.

Comment

[quote=I have never heard of a 750 c model before. Are you sure it is not an E???[/quote]

tconyroy,

The standard 1978 GS750 was designated a "C" model - spoke wheels and single front disk brake. The '77 standard GS750 was a "B" model.

Unfortunately, it will be a while before I can measure the shock on the bike. I just finished painting the frame, so I have a frame with the engine sitting in it. It will probably be sometime next summer before I get the beast back together. I think I'll go ahead and order the Progressive shocks and springs. Never know when they may no longer be available.

Thanks,
          rickt

Comment

tconyroy,

The standard 1978 GS750 was designated a "C" model - spoke wheels and single front disk brake. The '77 standard GS750 was a "B" model.

Unfortunately, it will be a while before I can measure the shock on the bike. I just finished painting the frame, so I have a frame with the engine sitting in it. It will probably be sometime next summer before I get the beast back together. I think I'll go ahead and order the Progressive shocks and springs. Never know when they may no longer be available.

Thanks,
            rickt
            I have the original shocks off my bike and I measured them off the bike. They are the same length so order them and you will be fine!!!! It will make the biggest difference, you wont believe it! I just went on a 600 mile ride saturday thru more twisties than I have ever seen before and could get real aggressive in the turns with no wallowing about or anything.Muy old shocks were like a pogo stick in the turns. Be sure to get some pics posted of that bad boy when ya get her done. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
            X