gxsr shock for 550es

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gxsr shock for 550es

I have an '85 550ES. I hear the GXSR monoshock is a cheap bolt-in upgrade BUT that the stock center stand gets in the way but can be modified to fit. I would like more information on just what kind of modding it needs.

Thanks.

You'd have to cut out the cross-tube on the center stand and replace it with one that's designed to clear the gas cartridge on the shock.

This picture gives you an idea of where the shock ends up being:

That's as much as I can tell you. I removed my center stand and didn't replace it.

Comment

Did you have to mount the GSXR shock upside down for some reason? Would it not fit right-side up? Just curious...

Comment

Originally posted by p_s View Post
        I have an '85 550ES. I hear the GXSR monoshock is a cheap bolt-in upgrade BUT that the stock center stand gets in the way but can be modified to fit. I would like more information on just what kind of modding it needs.

Thanks.
        I have a shock available (was planning to do this on my 750 until it went up for sale), so if you decide to go ahead and you need one, let me know...

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
          Did you have to mount the GSXR shock upside down for some reason? Would it not fit right-side up? Just curious...
          Yeah, gotta go upside down. The linkage for the swingarm/shock is all bunched up inside at the top...no room for it.

You might be able to flip the thing around so the cartridge runs towards the tire...but I can't remember off hand if there's enough clearance, and I'd be sketched out by having it that close to the tire anyway.

I'm working on using a KYB shock from a ninja right now...the ninja (at least the older ones) have linkage that appears to be closer than the Gixxer, and the Ninja's KYB unit doesn't have that goofy reservoir. I'm hoping to get a smoother ride out of this one. Just have to weld a new clevis-type arrangement on the end of the shock.
          Last edited by Guest; 10-23-2007, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LeeGS550E View Post
            This picture gives you an idea of where the shock ends up being:
            A picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks, Lee. I think I can find someone to do it for a six pack and a pot of chili. I was afraid it'd involve welding up something nasty from tube stock or something.

Comment

Working...
            X