Project Gs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazing, seems over kill

Good thing it's only going in a stright line.

Is this going on the street?

Did you do anything to the frame?

Mark

Comment

Yes it is going on the street and bike shows and back and fourth to work. The stock 1100e frame is a very strong frame and not much strengthening is required,ask all of the drag racers out there The swingarm is extended and the suspension is all new and ready for corners,can`t wait!

Comment

thanks for the pics, man
        and for saying what's what in the pics, it certainly helped decipher a few thingies
        GS850GT

Comment

Overkill??????
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

K, someone care to 'splain to my uneducated arse? What is an airshifter? Why? And how does it work?

Comment

I love those old Mr Turbo parts. The wastegate is killer. I like how you have all the parts mounted in the belly. Looks clean! Love the compressor.

Just a couple of small things from the pictures.. Is it an F/F? Did not go all the way to the beginning but curious what you did for a tranny, crank, pistons, oil pickup and clutch. What sort of mods are done to the Mikuni? What are you using for a fuel pump and regulators?

The cyclinder should have been O-ringed with copper. Have no idea why they wouldn't have done this. Assume you double checked their skirt clearance and ring gap.

How are you going to handle compensating the fuel pressure against boost?

You may want to call Terry up and ask him to send you a bowl extender for it.

I used to have a stock street bike (I mean stock!) with a similar setup. One of the funest bikes I ever owned. Could not run real high boost with it being stock but it made more power than I could use in that chassis. Stuffed a little slick under it later on and could melt it at the track.

Comment

Just a couple of small things from the pictures.. Is it an F/F? Did not go all the way to the beginning but curious what you did for a tranny, crank, pistons, oil pickup and clutch. What sort of mods are done to the Mikuni? What are you using for a fuel pump and regulators?

Hi Lecroy thanks for your comments here are the facts... turbo is a Rayjay F/F by turbonetics,trans is Fast by Gast slight cut with billeted output shaft.pistons are Wiesco 1229 10.5to 1,crank is a Gardner double pinned and welded crank. Carb is the Mikuni from Mr.Turbo and I don`t run regulators. It is pretty much the same set up as my dragbike except smaller cc`s and only 10psi of boost max.

The cyclinder should have been O-ringed with copper. Have no idea why they wouldn't have done this. Assume you double checked their skirt clearance and ring gap.

Don`t worry we did it right,I build a lot of engines and they are perfect.

No regulator

You may want to call Terry up and ask him to send you a bowl extender for it.

Never needed one before should be good.

someone care to 'splain to my uneducated arse? What is an airshifter? Why? And how does it work?

Kid, the airshifter works with air or nitrogen, when you press the button on the bars it releases a charge of air to the actuator (piston) on the shifter at the same time it sends the same charge of air to a solenoid that is hooked up to your ignition and kills the ignition for a split second while it puts the bike in gear. You can go through the gears in seconds with the throttle full open I hope that sheds some light on your question. Kris.

Comment

Originally posted by Kris V View Post
                  Carb is the Mikuni from Mr.Turbo and I don`t run regulators. It is pretty much the same set up as my dragbike except smaller cc`s and only 10psi of boost max.

Don`t worry we did it right,I build a lot of engines and they are perfect.

No regulator
                  Do you gravity feed the Mikuni?
                  If not, are you running the Mikuni and Nitrous off the same pump?
                  How much pressure does the pump put out?

I'm just looking at it thinking with the four jets in the manifold that as the boost goes up I would expect it to lean out. Most I have ever been able to push against the needle on that carb is 9 PSI before they blow open. So if your pump is 9 PSI for the carb and nitrous and your running 10 PSI of boost ..... Are you counting on the high pressure of the nitrous to make a low pressure area for the fuel and siphon it into the manifold?

Just curious...

Comment

Originally posted by Kris V View Post
                    Yes it is going on the street and bike shows and back and fourth to work. The stock 1100e frame is a very strong frame and not much strengthening is required,ask all of the drag racers out there The swingarm is extended and the suspension is all new and ready for corners,can`t wait!

How about breaks, are you going to update them?

Oh, I'm in SOCAL, not too far of a drive. I'm available if you need any test riders

Comment

Do you gravity feed the Mikuni?
                      If not, are you running the Mikuni and Nitrous off the same pump?
                      How much pressure does the pump put out?

Fuel pump on both, turbo diaphram pump at 7-8 psi,nos pump is a vane type at 6-7 psi

How about breaks, are you going to update them?

Stock 1150 brakes with good pads.

Comment

Oh, I'm in SOCAL, not too far of a drive. I'm available if you need any test riders

Thats ok my NHRA license will do just fine

Comment

Ok, two pumps. How is your 7PSI fuel pump for the nitrous pushing fuel into a 10 PSI chamber and keeping close to the right mixture?

Comment

Don`t know yet it, I have not started it yet. I will cross that bridge if I have to.

Comment

Crossing the bridge = BLAM; One or two jets right on the intake to the turbo = problem solved.

Good luck with it. Looks like a fun little ride.

Comment

One or two jets right on the intake to the turbo = problem solved.

Problem,not solved. Can`t put foggers in the manifold prior to the turbo, theres no room due to the fact that the carb mounts to a rubber boot and there is no lip on the turbo housing. It is a flush mount. The only way is the intake manifold. Lets think physics here, 1800 psi of no2 and 7 psi of fuel now you can compress gas but not fluid...see where I am going here? No matter how much boost you are pushing it will not stop the flow or even slow the flow of liquid in to the chamber. It work fine and have done it before without a problem trust me Also have a two stage timing retard and a pressure switch mounted in the manifold that will adjust timing on the fly. The BLAM comes from the timing not being correct...I don`t know how many times at the strip I have seen bikes go BOOM due to incorrect timing.
                                Last edited by Guest; 07-10-2008, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X