No announcement yet.

Project Gs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes Mark, I about sh!t kittens when I saw the price. Most manufactures would double or triple it8-O

Comment

Yeah I agree it looks like a good piece at a good price. Hell when you factor in materials and then overhead costs the labor is probably on the low side of things.

Comment

Last time I saw that bike I was side by side to it going around 120. :-D
        Now I'll need to beef up to keep up! I might have to do more than 1150 intake valves on an 83 1100 head with bronze guides. ;-)
        Looking good Kris! Are you bored cause of the cold weather? \\/
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

sorry guys i'm not too good on the conversion rates from $ to £ but the arm dont seem that cheap to me

heres how i see it .... 3m of 2x1 box is £18 over here, the machining for the pivot point would cost £20 to £30 or less as a tea break job, getting the ajuster slots cut £10, new bearings £20 & thats it really apart from a morning fabricating a jig & an afternoon cutting & welding

£80 max all in & less than a days work :-D now i remember why i do almost everything myself lol :-D

Not knocking it at all as its still a very good job i just wanted to point out there is another way if you can weld properly & have a bit of patience :-D

Comment

hmm wonder if it'd be cheaper if he made standard length but wide enough to fit a 5.5 out back ?

Comment

Tone, most swingarms that are manufactured for after market are around $500-1000 thats if it is chromemoly steel which hardly anybody makes for these old guys any more. The majority of people use aluminum and it is for new bikes. Hotbox, Turbo with N2O and 1229 kit,promod head,Dyna 4000 dragpro,Gardner crank,FBG trans race cut:shock: The extended swing arm is a must plus I want to keep the 1100/1150 look. The swing arm will fit a 7" tire but I would have to cut the frame to allow chain clearance and run a 5/8" offset sprocket. The 1150 rim is 1" wider than the 1100 and then I can put a 160 size tire with enough clearance and give that nasty muscle bike look.
              Last edited by Guest; 12-11-2007, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Hey Chef,the next time I pass you it will be with the front end up and about 160-180mph HA HA HA HA HA(evil laugh8-O)

Comment

Originally posted by tone View Post
                  £80 max all in & less than a days work :-D now i remember why i do almost everything myself lol :-D

Not knocking it at all as its still a very good job i just wanted to point out there is another way if you can weld properly & have a bit of patience :-D
                  This is true. But you are not valuing any of your time for that. How much could you make in a productive day of work, plus your time running around to the different places for materials, machining, etc.? And your machining costs are less than can be found most places this side of the pond from the sound of it. Unless you have contacts, that is.

80GBP is over $160USD, which only leaves $240 (120GBP) for your time, shop supplies and everything else. Don't forget you need to turn up some new axle carriers for the new swing arm tubes, axle adjusters and shock mounts as well.

I understand wanting to do it yourself, but for most people it is more time efficient to work some extra overtime and just pay for the production piece. It is WAY more efficient for me to do this and I still prefer to do it myself simply for the satisfaction and enjoyment of doing it with my own hands. I have another thread about building my own chassis for my 1100E engine, which has to be the dumbest thing to do EVER, just because I like the idea and have the resources to do it. It's a way better idea to simply buy a Harris Magnum, but that's no fun...

Just so we have a balanced viewpoint and all.:-D

Mark
                  Last edited by Guest; 12-13-2007, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Yes Mark M a nice balanced reply :-D

maybe i'm a bit too determined to do as much as possible myself but its always been my way

to put it into perspective saving £100 would amount to more than half a weeks wages for some of my good friends 8-[

i just sold my harris magnum by the way lol :-D:-D

Comment

Originally posted by tone View Post
                      Yes Mark M a nice balanced reply :-D

maybe i'm a bit too determined to do as much as possible myself but its always been my way

to put it into perspective saving £100 would amount to more than half a weeks wages for some of my good friends 8-[

i just sold my harris magnum by the way lol
                      It's not that you are too determined, but I think that trying to justify it economically is very hard. I just like working in the garage on bikes, regardless if it pays to or not...

If that 100GBP is several days wages, then it matters and it is easier to justify the time spent. I can work 4-5 hours and pay for that swingarm, when it would take me WAY longer to build my own. But I still want to build my own. Some of us never learn.:-D

How did you like the Magnum? What did you have for power?

Mark

Comment

The magnum was originally for a cb900 engine but i modified if to take a gsxr/ bandit engine & modern running gear,one off single seat etc, i had wanted one for many years but in the end pure economics meant that i had to sell it at the finished dry build stage

never mind the cash from the sale eventually bought my efe, efe/gixer thing & a gsx750 so i'm still a happy chappy :-D

Comment

Front end will be next\\/

Comment

Putting on that 1150 front end?
                            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

YUP,I want to get the height correct for the swing arm. Yes my riding season is done for a while so I can modify the bikes that need it and start this project which will take a while to complete. Once it gets warm again the GS will take a backseat to racing and having fun\\/

Comment

UPDATE....Front end is almost complete! I took a old used GS 1150 front end and made it pretty. I lowered it 2" and rebuilt it and painted it. Here is one of the fork legs...
                                Last edited by Guest; 01-06-2008, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X