spoked hub re-lace???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spoked hub re-lace???

I have a 19" rear GS1000 rim. I want to re-lace it to run a more modern and wider tire. Questions: Do I have to run a tube w/ spokes? I'm thinking of a 17" rim, larger choice of tires. I'm going to need the appropriate caliper hanger, did GS1000's ever come w/ 17" wheel? Lastly, how wide a rim can I get away with? 4.50, 5.00, etc.? I would like to run at least a 160 tire. Oh yeah, 78 GS 750 chassis, ext. swingarm, GS1000 motor, street/ strip.
    Last edited by Guest; 11-13-2007, 08:47 PM. Reason: add to post

Buchanan Spoke & rim They'll be able to answer your questions.

Comment

You can certainly put on a wider ring, but you will still have to fit it into your swing arm, unless you are going to put on a different swingarm. Also if you are going to do it yourself, take a digital picture of the spoke pattern before you start, that sure helped me a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by speedo1 View Post
        I have a 19" rear GS1000 rim. I want to re-lace it to run a more modern and wider tire. Questions: Do I have to run a tube w/ spokes? I'm thinking of a 17" rim, larger choice of tires. I'm going to need the appropriate caliper hanger, did GS1000's ever come w/ 17" wheel? Lastly, how wide a rim can I get away with? 4.50, 5.00, etc.? I would like to run at least a 160 tire. Oh yeah, 78 GS 750 chassis, ext. swingarm, GS1000 motor, street/ strip.
        you'll prolly have to spacer your sprockets out too...you gonna clear the chain rubbing the frame that wide??

Comment

This kat has a 4.25x 17 rim and runs the same tyres as a RGV 250 which are 160/70 x 17 i think. No sprocket spacing just a normal Kat swing-arm.

Looks out out place when you compare it to a 18 inch setup

You can run some good tyres on a 18" rim but not as many as a 17" rim. Just the smaller profile tyre looks "wierd" buts thats just me.

Comment

Speedo1 has a PM - in an effort to avoid highjacking the thread...

And thanks humhead, for the Buchanan link.

Comment

Anyone else notice that the rear shocks on the Red & White S clone pictured in sharpy's post are mounted upside down?

Comment

Originally posted by speedo1 View Post
                I think you mean a 18" rim. There are no 19" rears, only front.

With the stock swingarm, you can only go to about a 140 tire

Yes, it will have to have a tube. The E models have a 17" rear tire and the same caliper hanger.

Most modern tire will not be compatable with what you are trying to do. You need a different swingarm with a wider front, like the 1100. Then you can put in a modern wheel that will accept the tire you want.
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Clever lad.

Originally posted by humhead View Post
                  Anyone else notice that the rear shocks on the Red & White S clone pictured in sharpy's post are mounted upside down?
                  Very observent of you. Your not the first one to say that. CLONE?????????? I see your hearing needs to be good but your eyesight needs attention. How dare you, i challenge you to a duel Sir. They are Kayaba race shocks that the "boys" used when Kats and Gsx's ruled the superbikes. Same as the swingarm, exhaust and i had 33 smoothbores but the 29mm smoothies work better for the street. And yes they need replacing and there on the list of things to do. LOL
                  Last edited by Guest; 11-16-2007, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Big T, My swingarm is extended, and your correct, it is an 18", my bad.

Comment

Fishes on the dock at dawn?!!?

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
                      Very observent of you. Your not the first one to say that. CLONE?????????? I see your hearing needs to be good but your eyesight needs attention. How dare you, i challenge you to a duel Sir. They are Kayaba race shocks that the "boys" used when Kats and Gsx's ruled the superbikes. Same as the swingarm, exhaust and i had 33 smoothbores but the 29mm smoothies work better for the street. And yes they need replacing and there on the list of things to do. LOL
                      I accept your challenge sir. Shall we settle this contest by the most honorable (and silly) means?
                      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Seriously, I thought it was a clone because of the mirrors. S models have theirs mounted on the fairing. I couldn't see the gauge cluster, I wasn't 100% sure. If I'm wrong, I apologize.
                      It's a beauty, clone or not.

Terry

Comment

Working...
                      X