Chopper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PAULYBOY View Post
    Right after i wrote my last plug, I thought about that. I'd probably fashion some type of wedge to place under the rear motor mount to compensate for the change in angles. You're right, though. Even though the shaft has to be able to travel in an arc for suspension reasons, there's only a small angle acceptable for constant running. Now! howzabout that for GORILLA engineering?
    Might want to check the oil pickup locations, or the delivery ports or whatever...if you lean the engine in such a way that its not drawing enough oil or whatever, could spell trouble too... I dont know for sure, just thinkin...

Comment

Looked at the website for chopper underground. Way too much money and time, not to mention way above my skill level and/or tool collection. I was thinking at lunch today about this idea to make the tail end both rigid and lowered. Measuring the distance between the 2 mounting bolts for the rear shock with the bike fully gassed and the intended rider/victim aboard, I would then measure the clearance left between the top of the tire and the cross frame for the rear frame, the part that loops over the rear fender and is hidden beneath the original seat. Theoretically, the eyes are almost 12 inches apart. The clearnce for the tire is still almost 4 inches. Therefore, I'd substitute some rigid, but adjustable bar and socket assembly, not unlike a cars tie rod assembly, for the rear shocks. That way, I could lower the rear frame between 3 and 5 inches, with some adjustability. Removal of the center stand would be necessary, and a skid plate for the exhaust would be nice. Since that would make the rear of the bike squat, that would also adjust the rake angle relative to the ground, at the triple trees. Trial and error and 30 bucks worth of material, versus the hack and reweld with countless hours of adjustment, etc. Whaddya think?
      I just read through this fully. And I say bravo. An adjustable tie rod. Now why didn't I think of that?

Comment

So, I guess I'm startin to git the idea, huh? Kid, yiu got a good point. Sounds like you've done some motor work. True?

Comment

So, I guess I'm startin to git the idea, huh? Kid, yiu got a good point. Sounds like you've done some motor work. True?
          Only when i have to...lol. :-D

Comment

Working...
          X