No announcement yet.

single front brake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Id like to see that too...ive been back and forth with myself about whether or not to switch over to this set of 80 forks i have with dual disc...but i cannot decide...for one i WONT part with my spokes..so if the discs dont mount to hell with that...and two i dunno if i want the added weight to an already heavy front end...

Comment

um.. just to throw everything off canter

my bike DOES do stoppies, on just the one stock front rotor, single caliper, and i have chengshin himax tires.... so um... ya.
      I should also mention though, that my brake caliper is a 42mm. according to my local shop, that is bigger than were ever made.. apparently I'm supposed to have only a 36mm caliper

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
        Id like to see that too...ive been back and forth with myself about whether or not to switch over to this set of 80 forks i have with dual disc...but i cannot decide...for one i WONT part with my spokes..so if the discs dont mount to hell with that...and two i dunno if i want the added weight to an already heavy front end...
        It's not that heavy...

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
        Still like to see pics of that guys twin piston on stock disk setup mentioned earlier in the thread.

Dan
        Last edited by Guest; 11-22-2007, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Yeah but the 80 design is a bit different...trailing axel and like i said if those rotors wont bolt up to my wires ( i dunno if the holes for them are under that plastic hubcap or not) then its moot. What bike is that shot from?? Thats exactly the set up i need. I need to find forks like those.

Comment

Yeah but the 80 design is a bit different...trailing axel and like i said if those rotors wont bolt up to my wires ( i dunno if the holes for them are under that plastic hubcap or not) then its moot. What bike is that shot from?? Thats exactly the set up i need. I need to find forks like those.
            The holes under the cap are threaded on the spoke rims.

The forks are 1978 GS1000E forks. If you swap to "E" forks, you'll also have to change the triple to keep the rake and trail the same.
            Keep in mind, 550, 650, 750 forks use 35MM fork tubes, 850, 1000, 1100 forks use 37mm tubes
            Last edited by Guest; 11-22-2007, 12:44 AM.

Comment

yeah and the bearings are tapered too. Yet another con...lol. the 1000 use 35mm or were they 37?

Comment

yeah and the bearings are tapered too. Yet another con...
                How so? GS750 and 1000 both use the same tapered steering stem bearing. A 25 x 47 x 15 and a 30 x 55 x 17.

Comment

not the B...regular ball bearings.

Comment

not the B...regular ball bearings.
                    Just swap 'em. Triples are cheap.

Comment

Wont i have to buy new races and bearings? Are they going to fit the same? I dunno, ill have to look at it further..

Comment

So what Kawasaki are those twin pots off? It looks like you only had to fab a small bracket for the bottom bolt....

Dan
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

So what Kawasaki are those twin pots off? It looks like you only had to fab a small bracket for the bottom bolt....

Dan
                          What don't they fit. Kawasaki used them on various models starting around 1994. The ZG1000 Concours used them (a very heavy bike) as well as a few of the sport bikes. The EX500 Ninja still uses 'em.

The easy way to identify them (on ebay) is the large, and a small piston.
                          Keep in mind that you have to use the larger rotor for this to work. You must use rotors off of GS's that came with a single disk.

I'd like to see some close up pics of that... \\/
                          Read this thread.
                          Last edited by Guest; 11-22-2007, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NelanCustoms View Post
                            anyone convert thier dual front brake to a single? or know of anyone who has? bad idea? looks good
                            My apologies for 'Jacking your thread, man...

Comment

Originally posted by BentRod View Post
                              um.. just to throw everything off canter

my bike DOES do stoppies, on just the one stock front rotor, single caliper, and i have chengshin himax tires.... so um... ya.
                              I should also mention though, that my brake caliper is a 42mm. according to my local shop, that is bigger than were ever made.. apparently I'm supposed to have only a 36mm caliper
                              And what kind of bike are you riding??
                              NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                              Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Working...
                              X