Carb Rebuild Kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Rebuild Kits

From what I've read, not to many of you guys are in favor of carb rebuild kits.
    Well, I have a "80" GS 850 with pods & V&H header. I have no idea what jets
    are in the carbs. My brother had it jetted by a mech. The bike runs good to
    about half throttle where it starts to break up badly. I've decided to restore
    the bike to stock. I got a great deal on a stock exhaust on E-bay. I also have
    the stock air box.

So to do this without 4 rebuild kits, ill need 4 each of which jets. Does anyone
    know the sizes of the stock jets?

I always thought this bike ran better in stock form.

BTW: I got this exhaust for $111.00

My guessing is that it'll run fine with stock carb settings if you put the original filters back on - have a search for stock settings on this site - they're here somewhere. In my experience, unless you put on a 'drastic' pipe (yours doesn't look as if it falls in to that category), exhausts don't make anywhere as much difference as pods.

If you want to stick with pods you'll almost certainly need bigger jets (which might already be fitted so check first). As your problems start at half throttle you may also start looking at needle postion - try raising it on each carb.

Always a bit of experimenting when trying to match carbs / pods / exhaust but very satisfying when things come together.

Wally
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Almost forgot - I wouldn't buy a kit as most are expensive for what they contain IMHO. Just buy the bits you need.

Wally
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Pull the carbs down and look at the numbers on the jets - they should be printed on the side. Compare numbers to the stock jets and go from there.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Jets

I am at work right now. When I get home I will check my service manual and get the jets sizes for you. I also have 80 850, it is a great bike stock.
          80 GS850GT " Are we having fun yet! "

Comment

does this help?

Comment

Close, but unfortunately they dont say the jet size..only giving a alpha numeric designation. Is there a conversion chart for thier size vs Mikuni aftermarket jet sizes?

Comment

What Paulyboy posted shows the correct size for your main jets. You should be running 115 Mikuni jets with a stock exhaust and airbox. Also, a member of this forum sells o-ring kits for the various GS bikes. I've ordered from him before, as well as many other members, and his stuff is great. It really helps to replace the intake and carb orings when you're chasing carb issues on a bike. It'll be the best $$ you can spend.

O-rings:

www.cycleorings.com

Our 'sticky' that shows carb spec's for all of the GS's:

Good luck!

Comment

Thank you all for the advice. I figure if I get everything back to stock, I
                  pretty much can't miss.

I was thinking of this:

Comment

BS32SS Carb Specs

Me and my scanner are not getting along, so here are the specs from my service manual.
                    Main Jet #115
                    Jet Neddle 5D50
                    Needle Jet X-5
                    Pilot Jet #40
                    Starter Jet #32.5
                    Pilot Air Jet #190
                    Hope this helps. If you have a 1980 it should these carbs on it.
                    80 GS850GT " Are we having fun yet! "

Comment

Working...
                    X