foward controls for GS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

foward controls for GS?

do they make foward controls for my 79 GS850 or has anyone made them? pics?

forward control construction plans on hondachopper.com
    SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

I have a set I bought on ebay for my 82 850.

Comment

I like those! Do you know where I can get a set for my 82 850?

Comment

Originally posted by kbruce6057 View Post
          I like those! Do you know where I can get a set for my 82 850?
          Those are from back in the day and I'm pretty sure they're out of production. The only place you can hope to find them are in ebay or if anyone has a set on here.

As for forward controls you could probably fab up your own with a little innovation, which is really gonna be the only other choice other than hoping to find some of those MC's
          Here's a thread of one guy who fabbed some up

Here are written instructions for controls. They're not by me they're by a member on here that goes by ronbayless. Kinda hard to follow but if you're good at visualizing then you'll be fine.... Warning though. The forward controls in the thread were of ron's design but I have no idea if the ones in the thread are of the same design as the ones in the written description

Basically you take some stainless rod,4 rod ends(looks like tie rode ends) make a door hinge type deal by welding a one inche steel rod onto where the crash bars use to be,only make a new backing plate that is a little wider and for sure thicker cause the controls wont have that 3rd mounting point like the crash bars did.
          Then have some sturctural tubing that goes over the steel round bar and it is the moving part of the forward control mechanism. weld a tabl that hangs down from the fornt of either side of the front hinge pieces to hook the stainless rod/linkage into,make a new brake pedal stalk,a new shifter pedal stalk,weld them at about 45 degree angles from the mobing part of the door hinge type mechanism,and you can make the shifter side much more easily because all you have to do on that side to get started is turn the shifter peg down at 90 degrees and cut the shifter peg off,drill a hole in the inverted shifter peg mounting mechanism to hook the stainless rod into, and there you go.I wish I could post pictures of mine.To be sure, your feet do get kinda far out on top of your new forward pegs since the engine cases make it that way.But I ride mine very comfortably.I would never go back to having my feet back all the time.My braks side looks like crap if you want to know.My friend heated the heck out of it and bent i multiple times until it would hang down and out enough for linkage to clear the cases on the right side.A new piece of flat metal about 3/16 inch thick and welded onto the botttom of the brake splined mechanism after cutting off the stock brake pedal would look much better.I have seen that done on a 750 chopper and it looks way better than the heated and twisted version.Your bike is very cool.Now only if you had one of those tall sissybars that had twisted metal side pieces and a spike on the top...

Comment

Thanks, that gave me a great idea! I'll let you see soon!

Comment

I got them off of ebay. I'm sure I paid more than what they were worth but I had to have them lol. They were the first set I had seen. I did see another set on there a few weeks after I bought them but they were in need of serious help.

Comment

Yea, I've got'em on my watch list!

Comment

I have to say the heel toe shifting takes some getting used to butI love them. I'm 5'11 and although these only move your feet about 6" forward..they make a huge difference in how far I can ride without my legs cramping. I also have a highway bar with pegs...doesn't get any better.

Comment

Working...
                  X