Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83' GS1395 w/ full 02' GSXR susp; small problems arise

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for keeping this site active, I have been following it for some time during my GS project. I have one helluva project going on, though it started as a simple cam swap!

Current Bike

82' GS1100E with 1395cc BB, 12.5-1 pistons
    stock top-end with Kerker pipe and rejetted for pods (looking for gsxr oilhead)
    02' GSXR rear swingarm, split frame 5/16" to fit mounted monoshock
    02' GSXR front end swap (need to machine for top bearing fit)
    GSXR wheels/brakes f/r
    GSXR rearsets, fabricated brackets

By end of winter.... (maybe)

Looking to see what she does with the disp increase. I have the Dyna ing to go on after electrics are functioning. I recently bought a the fairing off what the guy said was an 83'GS1100E, but it looks like the square headlight w/undercowl on an 841100ef. I can't wait to see what it rides like.

Questions...

1) What speedo options do I have since I don't have the wheel mounted sensor for the stock unit?
    2) Where can I find a 5/8" offset sprocket in 17tooth?

There will definately be more questions coming. I will post pics soon
    Thanks

Demon,
    That sounds like one helluva project. My .02 on your speedo is the Acewell 2700 unit. I have used one on my project, and am happy with it. It reads the speed via a wheel mounted magnet, much like a bicycle computer, and also gives you a tachometer. Its a bit small, but get's the job done and seems well built. I don't have any pics available right now, but if you are interested, I'll snap one this weekend.

Cheers,
    Lee

Comment

Sounds like an awesome bike, got any pictures?

+1 on the Acewell, I use the 3100 model and it's great.

Do you need an offset sprocket for 520, 525 or 530 chain?

What size rear wheel are you using? 5.5 x 17" or 6.0 x 17"?

Is your suspension from a GSXR 600/750/1000/Hayabusa?

Comment

Call me as I CAN help you! I build BIG motors & have GSXR heads for sale that I install on GS motors. Ray. 714-356-7845.

Comment

Read me, learn the easy way!

Wow, I was surprised how quickly you guys found my post. Gs1000 , I saw your bike online the night I bought my 1100 on a poorly described ebay auction ($600!). I was going into the purchase expecting the worse, who on earth would sell that bike for that low right? Took about 6 hours in flushing, scrubbing and contact cleaning and it was running like a champ. Most of my bikes were in the 600 range so I was very surprised that a dinosaur like that would be that fast. It is an 83' frame with an 82' motor. I almost immediately scrapped the airbox , pulled the exhaust can's guts out and installed the filter pods. I am currently running 142 mains I believe? It took a while to get the idle screw adjusted right and getting it to pull throughout the rev range. Now its a 15 minute job to swap jets. I bought a set of G4 cams for it and for the basis of testing set them up with the stock settings (ie; no adjustable cam gears).

Important notice if you havent already figured this out!!
          Make sure to lock-tite and then actually tighten the cam gear bolts!

Guess you figured out what happened next right? Blam, tik tik tik, Screech
          3 rocker arms sheared, cam chain snapped and the cam chain boss in the bottom grenaded throughout the engine and trans. All because of 1- 10mm bolt. HAHA

Well, I stumbled onto the BB with pistons matched already on ebay and the rest has just snowballed into a full on project. 02' GSXR-1000 swingarm, front and rear wheels with a 190 rear tire. I believe its a 6" rim on the back. I split the frame and got the monoshock mount close so I could take some measurements. I was 1" too high in my guess, not too shabby. I have it together now so I can get the fairing mounts fab'd. I checked onb the gallery page and it looks like the the 83GS1100 with the silver Pingel fairing.

GS1000- did you make a new front spindle so your top fork bearing would fit? I have the same front end as you (waited 3 months for a good deal on ebay). I also notice you don't have the gsxr upper triple tree. Right now I have nice clipons under the top clamp, but they might interfere with the fairing. I am going to be uploading some pics this week so you can see what I am working with. I am not sure which chain to go with yet. Want to get the engine built and mounted (has to get moved forward 1/2? due to swingarm clearance). Let me know what you think as you were basically the driving force in this project. I am conservatively expecting 160hp when done, but it may be closer to 200. I plan on lowering the compression with a block spacer. When they get more E85 stations around the Philly area, I want to convert it to alcohol and remove the shims.
          Thanks
          Last edited by Guest; 12-01-2007, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DemonBike View Post

Well, I stumbled onto the BB with pistons matched already on ebay and the rest has just snowballed into a full on project. 02' GSXR-1000 swingarm, front and rear wheels with a 190 rear tire. I believe its a 6" rim on the back. I split the frame and got the monoshock mount close so I could take some measurements. I was 1" too high in my guess, not too shabby. I have it together now so I can get the fairing mounts fab'd. I checked onb the gallery page and it looks like the the 83GS1100 with the silver Pingel fairing.

GS1000- did you make a new front spindle so your top fork bearing would fit? I have the same front end as you (waited 3 months for a good deal on ebay). I also notice you don't have the gsxr upper triple tree. Right now I have nice clipons under the top clamp, but they might interfere with the fairing. I am going to be uploading some pics this week so you can see what I am working with. I am not sure which chain to go with yet. Want to get the engine built and mounted (has to get moved forward 1/2? due to swingarm clearance). Let me know what you think as you were basically the driving force in this project. I am conservatively expecting 160hp when done, but it may be closer to 200. I plan on lowering the compression with a block spacer. When they get more E85 stations around the Philly area, I want to convert it to alcohol and remove the shims.
            Thanks
            You might want to sell that 6 inch rear rim and get a 5.5 incher if your 1100 is like my 1000. Otherwise your chain will drag on the frame. I used a 2005 GSXR 750 rear wheel and sprocket carrier on mine, had to shave down the cush drive rubbers too. What swingarm are you using?

As for your monoshock mounts, it's very critical that all your linkage and shock angles are as close as humanly possible to the original design of the GSXR donor bike. This is so everything works as intended. You need the linkage to transmit the force of the swingarm moving up and down into the shock at the correct rate.

What rake angle are you running for your front end?

I'd recommend using a 520 chain for frame clearance - it's thinner than the 530 or 525 chain.

As for 520 chains, I use the DID 520 ERV3. http://www.sprocketcenter.com/p/1023...ace-chain.html

It's super strong, light, and thin enough that it doesn't drag on the frame.

They use these chains on 200+ HP roadrace bikes so it'll be plenty strong for you.

Give Randy at Advanced Precision a call at 888-347-7262 for offset front sprockets.
            I got a custom 5/8" offset 520 sprocket from him for the GS1000 and it turned out really nice, reasonable price too at $50. It's the one in the middle below.

I got the steering stem to mount up by using an adapter bearing for the upper bearing.

I removed the lower bearing on the GSXR steering stem and replaced it with a tapered roller bearing so it'd fit in the GS headstock.

The stock GSXR 1000 clipons and top triple clamp are going back on as we speak. LOL. I like the riding position with clipons better than handlebars after all....
            Last edited by Guest; 12-01-2007, 02:37 AM.

Comment

I know we'd talked before but is there any stock two shock swingarms that go into my frame? god I have a long hard expensive road ahead of me. good thing I like projects.

Comment

Im about to swap to a GS1100 boxed aluminum swingarm...from what i understand its a minimal effort mod...Also 83 and later 750 swingarms are boxed as well, and may bolt straight up...dunno for sure.

Comment

ah but will they fit a 5.5 x17 rim and tire?

Comment

That i dont know...Im keepin my stock spokies...lol

Comment

i'd rock spokies if i can fit decent sized radials. and use dual front disc. so i may be sol

Comment

You can use Dual disc on the spokies...im pretty sure anyway..iv not pulled my plastic hub cover off to check, but from most members acounts...the holes are there for the rotor...i have a set of forks, rotors and calipers off an 80 that i keep debating on switching over to...but only if i can keep my spokies.

Comment

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/495070227.html is that worth buying?for the triples , swingarm , wheels?
                          I'll still need new forks front wheel, front brakes but i can sell the motor and end up with a pretty good deal.

Comment

Originally posted by hotbox05 View Post
                            http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/495070227.html is that worth buying?for the triples , swingarm , wheels?
                            I'll still need new forks front wheel, front brakes but i can sell the motor and end up with a pretty good deal.
                            That motor isn't exactly "cherry", the stator cover has been removed probably because it was dropped on the left side and it was rashed up. I'd pass on it. The rear wheel and swingarm may be tweaked as well.

BTW, Gixxer 600/750 forks aren't sprung for the weight of a GS. If you want to go the 2000+ and later GSXR front end route, get a complete GSXR 1000 or Hayabusa front end.

Comment

Pictures of the DemonBike

Let me know what you think of it so far. I am going back and forth on using the fairing or not. I might make it so I can take it off easily, have to figure out what to do about the light mount in that case. I am thinking of going gloss black on the front with ghost flames. That along with some aluminum parts like the forks and rearsets might look good. I am open to your ideas. The engine is getting done in two stages. The crank is going to Falicon shortly to lighten and balance with the 13.5-1 pistons. I am going to keep the top end stock since I have a second head (it has a slightly bumpier cam). Depending on what I think, I might go crazy with the spare head.

If you have any info on this fairing, I am very curious. The guy I bought it off wasn't exactly helpful other than saying it was on a 83'GS1100E. I am thinking its a canadian model?!

GS1000- Thanks for the bearing , speedo and gearing info. I will be ordering them all shortly. What do you think of the top-end oiling systems? With the lighter crank I am going to try and give a couple grand higher red line. Here are a couple pics, I will show more detail if someone could use it. Thanks

Cant send pics yet, too large to post. Check back tommorow afternoon

Comment

Working...
                              X