Rear brake conversions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear brake conversions

All these problems im having with my OEM set up has me wondering if anyone has changed out their GS's stock rear break set up for something a lil more modern, say something off a Gixxer or what have you... Out of curiousity i was looking at rear caliper set ups for such bikes and found alot of them are axle mount design much like our GS's. Has anyone done this and what is involved? Spacing issues? Rotor coverage and clearance? Any ideas??

Thanks in advance!

TCK

It shouldn't present much of a problem if you stick to suzuki parts, you will be surprised by how little things have changed from the early gs's right up to later gsxr's & bandits

Here's the things i'd watch out for.........

try & pick the caliper from something with a similar sized disc to your standard one

watch for some of the twin piston calipers being too deep & fouling your wheel

some caliper mounts from gsxr's & bandits are thicker than others where they are used as a wheel spacer, so pick one close to your standard one

wheels spindle diameter could be a problem depending on which setup you pick (some later calipers will fit your standard mount tho)

just my first thoughts fella hope it helps :-D

Comment

Could be a b1tch finding that kinda info tho...

Comment

got gsxr slingshot calipers & mounts here i can measure, also gsx1100ef if that helps :-D

Comment

Going on a 77 750B...the caliper setups thru the models of GS seem the same..I have a bracket from both an 80 750E and my 77, part numbers match, but the 80 caliper seems to bind on the rotor. Part numbers are different on those, but they LOOK exactly the same. This is really aggrevating. I cant figure out wtf the problem is.

Comment

Can you take some pictures of your rear brake so we can see how you've got it setup?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
              Going on a 77 750B...the caliper setups thru the models of GS seem the same..I have a bracket from both an 80 750E and my 77, part numbers match, but the 80 caliper seems to bind on the rotor. Part numbers are different on those, but they LOOK exactly the same. This is really aggrevating. I cant figure out wtf the problem is.
              Hi CK- I'm experiencing the rear brake bind on my "new" '80 750 project bike. Any luck on finding answers to this problem?

Comment

None. I have relegated myself to purchasing a new rear rotor, breaking down the caliper again and putting FRESH new seals in it, switched to stainless brake lines ( i honestly think that old rubber had collapsed inside, causing the whole problem) and i rebuilt and cleaned my rear master cylinder again. If that doesnt fix it, im going to shoot myself

Comment

Hey Josh if you are going to go for a later style caliper you might find that if it is an opposed piston type you might have clearance problems on the wheel side of the rotor. It is safer to go with a caliper with piston/s only on the outsie of the rotor.
                  Cheers
                  Don

Comment

The offset may be different on the two, check that the center of the disk runs the same distance out from the hub, this is a little difficult to explain, measure the distance between one of the spokes to the inside edge of the disc, it may be different on the two models, placing the disc either closer to or further away from the wheel, thus it will bind on the one side only.
                    Also check disk thickness, the disk may be too thick for the caliper opening, remember that solid disks are normaly thicker than the later drilled disks, if this is the case then it is quickly solved by facing a few millimeters off the brake pads, to widen the gap and accomodate the rotor.

Comment

None. I have relegated myself to purchasing a new rear rotor, breaking down the caliper again and putting FRESH new seals in it, switched to stainless brake lines ( i honestly think that old rubber had collapsed inside, causing the whole problem) and i rebuilt and cleaned my rear master cylinder again. If that doesnt fix it, im going to shoot myself
                      I feel the pain... I'm on the same course and will be rebuilding the rear brake, as well as the fronts, the same way. I'm too big a wimp to shoot myself however. I'll simply dive into a bottle of Glenmorengie, an' thas a fac, *hic*=P~

Comment

Cafe, this is something I've been working on, but decided to shelve for a while to complete my bike. I've got a rear caliper that works, from a busa I think, but I've not bothered to figure out the specifics on building a new bracket.

One issue that stumped me was accounting for the torque arm since new caliper does not have a location to mount it. I had planned on making a bracket that would include a mount for the torque arm.

Our rotor is larger and the bolt patterns don't match either.

Comment

Originally posted by dardoonk View Post
                          Cafe, this is something I've been working on, but decided to shelve for a while to complete my bike. I've got a rear caliper that works, from a busa I think, but I've not bothered to figure out the specifics on building a new bracket.

One issue that stumped me was accounting for the torque arm since new caliper does not have a location to mount it. I had planned on making a bracket that would include a mount for the torque arm.

Our rotor is larger and the bolt patterns don't match either.
                          Yeah i was looking at some other gixxer set ups, and some bandit ones too...but i couldnt find measurements on them. I DID find a neat lil adapter arm, that nixxes the torque arm, and uses a front caliper, to save on weight. Prolly doesnt have the stopping power, but how much rear brake to you really use? I dont use much, 'cept to scrub off some speed before entering a turn, or when im stopped. Was a bit expensive for what it was, im sure we could have a machinist buddy we may know make one up for us. It needs a 1/2 inch spacer added to the axle however.

Comment

Yeah i was looking at some other gixxer set ups, and some bandit ones too...but i couldnt find measurements on them.
                            Grrr i did offer to measure up a gix / bandit caliper for you fella i have a few kicking about :?

Comment

You did?? You did. My fault, i must have missed that one. Thanks Tone! I'd like to see if i could get some more modern, perhaps even lighter weight and smaller something or other back there. I think my biggest problem is going to be the rotor. Not only is it old school GS, but its spoked wheel old school GS.

Comment

Working...
                              X