Rear brake conversions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No probs cafekid :-D

if you decide you need measurements off any of the later model calipers gsx gsxr etc just give me a shout, i'm guessing clearance between the caliper & wheel will be tight though

tone

Comment

Im gonna see what happens with this stock stuff, ive got all new seals, new rider pins for the caliper, new SS brake line, new banjos and rebuild my rear MC again. SO more or less i have a new brake system. LOL Hopefully this solves my problem. I think i will prolly pick up a EBC rotor for the rear too, should it not and see if thats the issue.

Comment

I have an 83 gs750e caliper on my 79 and the rear brakes work mint. Old rubber hose. Stock rotor. I dont really see many advantages with uprgading the rear brakes.

Comment

Well it didnt start as an upgrade project. It started as "My rear caliper locks up...why?" I tore the MC apart, fresh goodness in there, put it back on, no joy. Tore the caliper apart. Cleaned it, put it back on. No joy. REPLACED the caliper with one off my 80. No joy. SO..new seals for everything. New ss hose. pretty much new everything except the hardware itself. Hopefully it will correct the issue.

Comment

Hows that rotor, any warpage and that thing will lock up. That caliper has to be perfectly centered. Make sure you have the correct spacers in that wheel.

Comment

I dont think its the rotor. Its possible, but i see no warpage, and its more symptomatic of a pressure problem. The caliper wont retract when you let off the pedal. It presses firm, and stays there. Its not that you touch it and it locks up, and there's no pulse in the pedal that you'd commonly associate with a warped rotor. It works a couple presses, till it gets tight, then its locked.

Comment

Make sure the pin that goes into the bottom of the master rod that connects the pedal is free. If that is anyway stiff, it will lock the brakes. Does the pedal come back up easy?

Comment

Well that was another thought i had, that the linkage wasnt adjusted right, keeping the piston in the MC from returning far enough to clear the fluid return port. But it's all apart right now, so i'll have fixed that if that was an issue soon enough.

Comment

Cafe, I'll bet if you take the brake pedal off and drive out that splined rod that runs thru the frame and you will find it will be loaded with all kinds of crud, corrosion & rust. Give that area a good cleaning.

Comment

Did it when i painted the frame, but thanks for the heads up! really wouldnt have thought of that as a culprit, but i did it just cos it looked cruddy...

Comment

Working...
                      X