No announcement yet.

Piggy back shocks on Ebay $169 BIN!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everything I whacked into Google came up with either Monkey bikes or pedal cycles. Quality could be a bit suspect but I'm interested if anyone has any feedback on what they're like.

Wally
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Don't know where your getting the idea that these are adjustable for length. The lengths you mention are more likely the compressed-extended lengths. Shocks are simply not length adjustable. It appaers from the photo the only adjustment on them is spring preload. Definitly a Knock off product. Those "double springs" are throwaways from other manufacturers that are patched together to simulate a dual rate spring. Nicetech ? Are you serious? Hey for a project bike they will surely look better than your stock shocks. But if you are looking for a performance upgrade save your money for some Ohlins, KYB, or Works take offs. Suspension is one area where you realy get what you pay for. The top brands hold their value because they are that much better. I work way to hard for my money to blow it on crap parts.

Comment

Hey man if thats how ya feel about em then more power to you. Either way, whether or not they are GREAT shocks, they're better than EMGOs or MIDI shocks and better than the stockers that are on MY bike. Read the add. they say they are fully adjustable for length via the adjustment parts they include. I just posted them up here for those who were INTERESTED in them.

Comment

Yes, they seem to have some threaded adjustment for length as well as an additional extension piece that you can use.....

No damping adjustment is a bit of a bummer though, even my stockers have damping adjustment on them...

I just won these... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...195665206&rd=1 may have to change the springs for heavier ones although Progressive site states the 95-140lb springs as being standard for my bike with up to a 200lb rider. I might get away with it, I'm 165.

Josh - if they're too light for my 1000 the springs would definitely be ok for your 750! Also if I fit these & keep them over the stock ones, my stock ones are not in too bad shape, they are a little soft but I ride them on about preload 3 of 5 & damping 3 or 4 of 5. On a lighter bike again they would probably be pretty good so we could sort something out if you're interested. Might save you a couple hundred bucks (unless you're really set on these).

Dan
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

HAHA! I was SOOO close to pushing the button on those! Hell of a deal! Good buy! Im not dead set on those piggybacks, and my stockers arent in THAT bad of shape. I like my ride a lil on the stiffer side, as im not a light person...lol 260lbs. Whichever works lemme know as i may be interested Dan! Thanks!

Josh

Comment

Originally posted by Jd Powell View Post
              Don't know where your getting the idea that these are adjustable for length. The lengths you mention are more likely the compressed-extended lengths. Shocks are simply not length adjustable. It appaers from the photo the only adjustment on them is spring preload. Definitly a Knock off product. Those "double springs" are throwaways from other manufacturers that are patched together to simulate a dual rate spring. Nicetech ? Are you serious? Hey for a project bike they will surely look better than your stock shocks. But if you are looking for a performance upgrade save your money for some Ohlins, KYB, or Works take offs. Suspension is one area where you realy get what you pay for. The top brands hold their value because they are that much better. I work way to hard for my money to blow it on crap parts.
              I agree, they are not going to be Ohlins level performance for that price. However:

1) The bottom eye/clevis is clearly threaded into the shock body with a lock nut in place. Backing off the locknut will allow easy length adjustment for a portion of the rod end threads. They also state that the length adjustment is done by using an "extension piece" which looks like something that attaches to the end to add a bit of fixed length to the shocks. Shocks are often length adjustable, just look at any of the better offerings from Ohlins, Penske, Elka, etc. If I bought these, I would immediately look at making a new clevis or buying a longer rod end if I needed more length than they offered. The threaded connection is a piece of cake to work with.

2) Double springs are anything but throw aways (these may be, but the idea is certainly not), unless you would care to argue with Kenny Roberts who used them his entire career with Yamaha on their factory GP bikes. They are very tuneable (much better than progressive or dual rate springs) and can provide excellent performance. Again, not saying these are wonderful, but the concept is very sound and has been used many times and places.

Again, I agree that these look like cheap units that look nice but probably perform less well. If you want the best, prepare to pony up the big $$$. But compared to trashed stock shocks or progressives at $225 or so, these might be a decent alternative.

One thing someone should be asking is if they are rebuildable. If you can strip them and reassemble, then you can tune them and get what you want with some work. Something to think about...

Mark

Comment

Yeah the problem with JD's theory of "buy Ohlins, they're better" is that I don't think he's factoring in cost. Ohlins=800 bucks, these=$200 with shipping. For 4x the price of these knockoffs they'd sure as hell should perform better. Now maybe he can afford 800 dollar shocks but I know I can't. Nor would I even buy them if I could afford them (that's double what I paid for my bike)

And I'm with Mark on double springs not being throw away. Psssh I'd rather have a set of double springs than progressives because once you buy a set of progressive spring your stuck with their rates. I can swap out springs all day long on double springed shocks
                Last edited by Guest; 12-11-2007, 01:26 AM.

Comment

Mark,
                  I agree with your post for the most part. I am a bit confused however, as I am familar with the threaded & interchangable bottom mounts. I understand that some adjustment is availible. The ad states that you use the Posh racing part to get the extra length. Am I incorrect in assuming they are using that piece as an extension? I have a hard time beliving there is an availible 3" of adjustment in the shock itself. And yes, many great men and manufacturers have used two spring shocks (though mostly for tuning purposes when quick swaps were nessesary.) this is not the case with these shocks. Also as you mentioned if rebuildable these may be tunable. From the pic's though they dont appear rebuildable. I'm not trying to slam anyones personal taste. Just expressing my point of view. But I may be wrong, I havent personaly tried them.

Comment

BTW Ironriot. I dont have the money for ohlins. I run a pair of progressive 412 series air shocks that I rebuilt myself. These are about $200, air adjustable and rebuildable (which I had to do due to their PO running them without air to lower the rear.) In the front I have progressive springs w/racetech emulators. ($45 springs $150 emulators.)
                    The bike handles better than ever, and both front and rear are infinitely tuneable:-D

Comment

Originally posted by Jd Powell View Post
                      Mark,
                      I agree with your post for the most part. I am a bit confused however, as I am familar with the threaded & interchangable bottom mounts. I understand that some adjustment is availible. The ad states that you use the Posh racing part to get the extra length. Am I incorrect in assuming they are using that piece as an extension? I have a hard time beliving there is an availible 3" of adjustment in the shock itself. And yes, many great men and manufacturers have used two spring shocks (though mostly for tuning purposes when quick swaps were nessesary.) this is not the case with these shocks. Also as you mentioned if rebuildable these may be tunable. From the pic's though they dont appear rebuildable. I'm not trying to slam anyones personal taste. Just expressing my point of view. But I may be wrong, I havent personaly tried them.
                      I believe you are correct that it is a fixed length extension. I think the adjustment was 45mm, wasn't it? So, a bit under 2", not the 3" you are thinking of. It sounds like it is not infinitely adjustable between those lengths, it is the short length or the long length and nothing in between. As I said, I would work with the threads instead, myself, and avoid the extension piece they are flogging.

The dual spring setup advantages are the adjustment, as you say. I think the dual rate effect is more useful in forks, where you set an initial lower rate for smooth ride and traction, then the higher rate kicks in under braking and keeps the front end up under the heavy braking/cornering loads.

The rebuildable question is significant to me, otherwise they are a disposable piece that you can't tinker with if required. This is a major reason I bought Ikon's for my 1100E.

Sorry if my last post was a bit harsh sounding, I must be having a grumpy night...

Mark
                      Last edited by Guest; 12-11-2007, 01:48 AM. Reason: Cause I can't type.

Comment

Did anyone notice the pic of the GS in their Ebay add?

That's quite the paint job...

Comment

Hey, cafe, you're not light at 260? Try 400! Now there's a load goin down the road. I'm in the process of making a hardtail rat chopper with my son from the frames and stuff liberated from Ricepaddy. I ordered heim joints and connecting rods to make up replacements for the shocks that are now gone. They'll be adjustable in length from 8" to 11 1/2". Parts enuff for the bike were 30 bucks total. I'll send in pix when iot comes in and gets assembled, barring the usual Friday thru Sunday rain and snow here lately in the Ohio Valley.

Comment

Originally posted by PAULYBOY View Post
                            Hey, cafe, you're not light at 260? Try 400! Now there's a load goin down the road. I'm in the process of making a hardtail rat chopper with my son from the frames and stuff liberated from Ricepaddy. I ordered heim joints and connecting rods to make up replacements for the shocks that are now gone. They'll be adjustable in length from 8" to 11 1/2". Parts enuff for the bike were 30 bucks total. I'll send in pix when iot comes in and gets assembled, barring the usual Friday thru Sunday rain and snow here lately in the Ohio Valley.
                            Actually, im gonna need something much longer, probably a 14.5 inch shock, as the aluminum swingarm im gonna switch over to is 2 inches longer than the stock. Dunno exactly yet, as i do want to drop it a hair, but i wont know till the swinger gets here and i can do the measurments.

Comment

Originally posted by JTsGS650 View Post
                              Did anyone notice the pic of the GS in their Ebay add?

That's quite the paint job...
                              Yep... awful innit...
                              1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I suspect, these ebay shocks might have come from the same manufacturers (or similar) that were supposed to hook us up with the Vipex piggybacks...there are a lot of trick-looking parts (steering dampers, "Yoshimura" rear-sets etc) appearing on ebay lately, for suspiciously low prices....they look very well made in the pictures...possibly bait & switch, or simply decent quality knock-offs, manufactured with 'borrowed engineering". The vendors are usually operating from the U.K, Australia, etc., but the product is typically shipped from Asia.
                                Here's one of many.....

So, anyone willing to TOFTT (take one for the team) and order, please keep us posted re. quality of these shocks, or any other parts from the posted link.

Tony.
                                '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                                Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Working...
                                X