Best front caliper from GS's lineup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best front caliper from GS's lineup?

Was there any year where the front caliper for a single disk set up was better than the rest?

Wondering because now that my front caliper has bitten the dust I want some kinda upgrade. I was gonna throw a 4 or 6 pot but I've already been told it won't work. So my options are two piston calipers that Kawas use.... Unfortunately they're almost impossible to find for the left side. So after a few good days of searching I've given up. Besides there are ALOT more GS parts on fleabay. Any tips?

All the early suzuki calipers are pretty poor by today's standads so i'd be tempted to look for a caliper from a RF600, 600bandit gsx600f/750f all the same good strong twin piston sliding calipers (not opposed piston)

I'll guess you will need a mounting bracket to fit them to gs forks but could be wrong no big deal either way & it keeps it all in the suzuki family :-D

Comment

Ah tone I knew you'd chime in sooner or later...... Curious though. What do you mean by twin piston sliding calipers? Kinda like the Kawasaki one's 8track uses?.... And if opposed piston calipers are the 4 or 6 pot kind I can't use them anyways. They're too wide.

BTW thanks for the list of bikes to search up on ebay

Comment

Glad to be of assistance ironriot :-D

to explain the calipers a little better by sliding calipers i mean ones with a piston or pistons on one side & a sliding mount on the other Eg standard gs calipers & the kwak calipers 8track is using

opposed piston is as with later 4 pot calipers with pistons opposite each other actually squeezing th pads onto the disc from both sides

the calipers i mentioned from the different bikes are the same sliding type if you get the right year so there shouldn't be any clearance issues, but do check as suzuki changed from one type to another a few times in the 90's :-D

Comment

I found a PAIR of the Kawi calipers for 19.95 B.I N. on ebay...there were numerous sets available. They used them for years, on lots of models. Early Ninja 600R, Ninja 750...buy a set and use the one you want.

Comment

What about using a caliper from a later model GS500? They only had brakes on one side of the front rim, and are also a 2-pot slider model as Tone mentioned. The design must be better than what was being made in the 80's.

Comment

I wish I could find a bolt on caliper for the twin rotor setup....

Was looking at my mates 750 Nighthawk, reckon that might work but only single sided. Would likely work for you though.

Dan
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by hp1000s View Post
                I found a PAIR of the Kawi calipers for 19.95 B.I N. on ebay...there were numerous sets available. They used them for years, on lots of models. Early Ninja 600R, Ninja 750...buy a set and use the one you want.
                Link? Calipers can be had for a song all day long on ebay. The trouble is finding the right kinda caliper. Opposed piston ones are numerous. The ones with the pistons all on one side are kinda difficult to find

Comment

Originally posted by LeeGS550E View Post
                  What about using a caliper from a later model GS500? They only had brakes on one side of the front rim, and are also a 2-pot slider model as Tone mentioned. The design must be better than what was being made in the 80's.
                  Thanks for the tip. I'll take a look

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                    I wish I could find a bolt on caliper for the twin rotor setup....

Was looking at my mates 750 Nighthawk, reckon that might work but only single sided. Would likely work for you though.

Dan
                    Bolt on? Highly unlikely. But a if you want something for a twin rotor set up that's easy. I think it was the GSX-650 and 750's that have that kinda set up. I was looking at them and they're usually sold in pairs. Like I said they're not gonna be a straight bolt in BUT they do have two pistons on one side of the rotor. So they clear GS wheels

Comment

Originally posted by tone View Post
                      Glad to be of assistance ironriot :-D

to explain the calipers a little better by sliding calipers i mean ones with a piston or pistons on one side & a sliding mount on the other Eg standard gs calipers & the kwak calipers 8track is using

opposed piston is as with later 4 pot calipers with pistons opposite each other actually squeezing th pads onto the disc from both sides

the calipers i mentioned from the different bikes are the same sliding type if you get the right year so there shouldn't be any clearance issues, but do check as suzuki changed from one type to another a few times in the 90's :-D
                      Yeah Suzi did change a few times. From the late 80's to late 90's the GSX's have opposed piston calipers then they changed to one sided from the late 90's to the 2000's

Comment

Originally posted by Ironriot View Post
                        The ones with the pistons all on one side are kinda difficult to find
                        Not if you know what to look for. :-D

These are most of the Kawasaki models that use the twin piston "sliding" calipers.
                        ZR 550 B1/B2/B3 Zephyr 1990 1992 1993
                        ZX 600 C1-C9 Ninja 600 R 1988 to 1996
                        ZR 750 C1/C2/C3 1991 to 1993
                        ZX 750 F1/F2/F3/F4 Ninja 1987 to 1990
                        ZG 1000 A9-A20 Concours 1994 to 2006
                        ZX 1000 B1/B2/B3 Ninja ZX10 1988 to 1990
                        Last edited by Guest; 12-13-2007, 01:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 8trackmind View Post
                          Not if you know what to look for. :-D

These are most of the Kawasaki models that use the twin piston "sliding" calipers.
                          ZR 550 B1/B2/B3 Zephyr 1990 1992 1993
                          ZX 600 C1-C9 Ninja 600 R 1988 to 1996
                          ZR 750 C1/C2/C3 1991 to 1993
                          ZX 750 F1/F2/F3/F4 Ninja 1987 to 1990
                          ZG 1000 A9-A20 Concours 1994 to 2006
                          ZX 1000 B1/B2/B3 Ninja ZX10 1988 to 1990
                          Awesome. Thanks. It sure beats te hell out of punching in 'Kawasaki front caliper' in ebay and hoping for good stuff

Comment

Wow thats a pretty good list! Now i need to find one for near bolt up REAR set ups... 8track??? LMAO

Comment

Riot if you want GS i found a couple of 450 calipers going on the cheap, 10 hours left i think and they are only 10 bucks each...

Comment

Working...
                              X