No announcement yet.

Questions on bore and cam kits...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Biggest advantage would be money savings. You can find a 850 jugs and pistons for cheap. Like 20 bucks cheap. And if you look hard enough you can find a 850 head for the same price. You'd basically be in the hole for MAYBE 100 dollars once everything's complete. And yet you'd already have all the major components

Comment

If you are going to do the Wisecos, do it now. They go up about $50.00 a set on Jan 1.

Jay
      Speed Merchant
      http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
        You only need the camshaft sprockets slotted to degree in the cams. You can put them on the stock cams or maybe some high lift. I would go with the cams that only need the HD springs so basically drop in. Just checked the Webcam websight and the .395 look right. You will lose a little bottom end smoothness but the powerband will rip your arms off.:-D
        I would also find a good 4-1 pipe maybe a V&H and K&N pod filters.
        Already have the VH 4into1..(one of the selling points of the bike for me...lol) I just bought a new baffle and installed it since the IDIOT PO chopped the hell out of it. Bottom end im not too worried about, as its already a bit hellacious with that big arse 52 tooth rear sprocket on it. Plenty of grunt. However, I lose a bit in top end due to it, so it may be coming off. Winds out a lil quick. So lemme get this straight Bill, theoretically, i could simply get slotted cam sprockets to degree the cams, and use the stock cams and springs, OR i could get the high lift cams from wiseco and buy the HD spring kit, either way will work with my bore kit. And since the GS's have pretty generous valves, i should have to change that stuff out at all for the bore kit ( plan on doing a complete overhaul to this head i picked up off ebay and using it for the top end of the bored motor.)

Comment

Sorry guys, i know this is prolly a bit aggrevating. I can do the actual job, its just more or less learning what's going to get the best result for me. Put something in front of me and tell me to put it together, and i can...i sometimes just cant tell you what it does...lol

Comment

What 49er is saying is that you will keep the thickness of the cylinder walls with the 850 jugs and the bike won't overheat. The stock pistons will give you a 8.8-1 compression ratio compared to the Wiseco 10.25-1. The Wiseco will give you more punch but you'll need an oil cooler if driven in traffic.
            The different CR depends on the area over the piston during the compression stroke. The smaller the area the higher the CR.
            I would do the Wiseco kit but hurry cause of what Big Jay said.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

You can drop in the higher lift cams anytime you want to. I just thought you'd want to unleash the beast right away while you have it apart. You don't need to change cams to degree in the cams just an adjustable cam sprocket. A machinest can do this to your stock sprockets or Ape sells them. See Big Jay. Not sure he sells them for the pre-80 750s. I would just mod yours.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

What 49er is saying is that you will keep the thickness of the cylinder walls with the 850 jugs and the bike won't overheat. The stock pistons will give you a 8.8-1 compression ratio compared to the Wiseco 10.25-1. The Wiseco will give you more punch but you'll need an oil cooler if driven in traffic.
                The different CR depends on the area over the piston during the compression stroke. The smaller the area the higher the CR.
                I would do the Wiseco kit but hurry cause of what Big Jay said.
                Any place i can find a price on the Web cams?? i know the Wiseco kit (last i looked) was going to run me about 500 bucks.

Comment

And the oil cooler was already in the plans, simply because this entire motor will be painted black due to its ROUGH complexion. Poor thing...all it wanted was some love. This new motor ( i pick it up tomorrow ) will stay stock and get blinged out. But since i have the extra strong running 750 motor i figured why not make it a bore project. Thanks for the info guys! Im sure ill have more questions as i collect the neccessary parts. I need to find an oil cooler too, if ya guys know of anyone selling them. I have the bolt fitting in my oil filter cover, so that should work yeah??

Comment

You have two ports on your filter cover? If you do any transmission cooler, 1150 or any motorcycle cooler will work if you can get it mounted.
                    Buy Webcams here
                    Last edited by chef1366; 12-18-2007, 03:38 AM.

Comment

no just the one...i guess ill need to look for an oil filter cover with two also..

Comment

You have two ports on your filter cover? If you do any transmission cooler, 1150 or any motorcycle cooler will work if you can get it mounted.
                        Buy Webcams here
                        Yikes!! is that per cam or for the set?? LOL

Comment

You have the cover that has the oil pressure switch built into it. Ask Renobruce how he tapped into his. A guy from Australia named Terry makes them.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                            Yikes!! is that per cam or for the set?? LOL
                            That's why I watch Fleabay. Lot's of savings but lots of cons so be careful.

Comment

Then i take it thats PER cam. Ok so those may have to wait a bit. I can have a buddy machine the sprockets however in the meantime, and get my bore kit. I have a 16 valve motor here and i think the pressure switch is built into the cover on that...dunno if it will fit but i can check it out.

Comment

They're sold as sets.

Comment

Working...
                                X