gs450 rear brake swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs450 rear brake swap

has anyone tried converting rear drum brakes to disks?

You'd either need a rim with the hub that has mounting holes for the disc, or if you are running spokes, a hub and then have it respoked. It would be easier to just find the rim, and you'll need a swingarm with the torque bar for the caliper, but it could be done pretty easily.

Comment

Yes Cafe is right. You would need another swinging arm as the disc brake version has the bracket on the top for the torque arm and the drum brake has the bracket on the bottom. If you are a handy welder I don't see a problem welding something on yourself?
      Cheers
      Don

Comment

what about a swing arm and brake torque rod from a gs850 frame? say, 81 or 82? and a wheel and rotor from the same vintage?

Comment

swinger is likely to be a bit longer, and perhaps wider as well. I dunno tho, i dunno how different the 450 was from the 550, and from what ive read there are a few interchangeable parts from the 550 to 750 frame wise. Plus isnt the swinger from a 850 shaftie? Is it set up any different than a chain drive swinger? Never owned a shaftie so ive never really paid attn.

Comment

phoenix87,
            If you find a swingarm from a 750B will work, I've got one I can let go of. I don't have the torque arm available, but I am sure there is one laying around for cheap.

PM me if you find you are in need.

Comment

He's got a swinger, i have a torque arm for ya...

Comment

Hell better yet, i have a caliper bracket as well, which you'll need too. And i may have a rebuildable caliper laying around...oh crap! That reminds me...

Comment

Working...
                X