Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 gs1000 530 chain conversion

Needsome help,
    Curious how others have done there conversion. I'm Interested in a 530 chain conversion for my 1978 GS 1000 as I need new stuff anyways. Found a kit on e-bay, but seems a little pricey. I thought I read somewhere the spline is identical to GSXR splines for the counter shaft sproket and the conversion is as easy as buying GSXR sprokets and usung a spacer. Any truth to this as I believe I can find second hand stuff at a better price.
    Thanks for your help.

Why on earth would you change out an old used up chain, do a 530 conversion and then use USED parts? Define pricey for the conversion. I bought a 520 conversion kit for my GSXR1K for about $140 and thought that was pretty reasonable for a Vortex sprocket set and premium chain. Considering that a quality chain set will last you 20K miles or more if cared for, how cheap do you want to go?

As for the GSXR stuff, I know the oil-cooled GSXR front sprocket will fit on my 82 1100E, not sure on your bike. The rear sprocket is completely different I believe.

Mark

Comment

I did the 530 conversion on my '77 GS750 and it cost me either $150 or $160, I can't remember. It might be a little bit more, but I went through z1 enterprises and I would definitely reccomend them. They talked to me about all my options for gearing and what spacers I would need. So if you're thinking about changing your gearing, they will explain how it changes your rpm @ cruising speed. I think they're website is just www.z1enterprises.com .

Comment

I also went with Z1, one phone call, told the guy what kind of bike I had and that I wanted to lower my rpms at cruising speed a little. He discussed all the various ratios with me and everything else I might need to complete the conversion. He even told me I should order an extra master link or two. Glad I did, lost the first clip, other than that everything went considerably easier than I thought it would. Z1 very knowledgable, very helpful, very quick shipping. Oh and reasonably priced to.

Comment

I did a 520 conversion on my '79 GS1000S and am very happy .The new chain and sprockets cost the same as if i'd bought the original 630 set up(very difficult to get that size gear).Go with an O'ring or X'ring and they'll last very well.Spending the extra for new will save you in the long run.Nothing like being in the middle of a good ride and having your chain drop it's bundle.Mine stretched and went from being fine to f#?k'd within 500km.Cheers,Simon
          http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...esMapSimon.jpg

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Thank you for all the input

I will try z1 for specs and pricing, looks like there may not be a better price than 160.00 for the conversion. Been looking at jt sprockets online catalog. Nice site as it references a lot of bikes. It also has dimensions specs and a ratio chart. Might be worth a look to anybody else interested in a conversion. Will post back later when I make a purchase.

Comment

I did a 630-to-530 chain conversion on my 78GS750 several months ago. I don't recall how much it set me back to do it, but it was CHEAP. I'm thinking right around $100 or so. The catch however, was that I went with a cheap standard roller chain. Big mistake. The GS750 isn't putting out a tremendous amount of HP, but I flogged it hard and even though I took good care with chain maint, the chain was toast within a couple thousand miles. I've since gone with a MUCH nicer O-Ring style chain that set me back over a $100 alone.

To get my sprockets, I did a lot of homework to figure out what would fit. I believe I got them from JT Sprockets through a local dealer. Wish I still had the specs, but I don't. Sorry. I went down one tooth up front and up one tooth in the rear.

Just a heads up tip. It takes a lot less links of a 630 chain than it does a 530 (the 630 links are not just wider but longer). ie: If you have something like 88 links on a 630 chain, it's gonna take something like 112 links with a 530. That's not exact, just an example. Sit down and do the math before, or just buy a 120-link length and cut it down to what you need.

Comment

I have 530 front & rear sprockets and chain. Came off of a 750 Katana. All in great condition. The only bad thing is, the chain is blue. It must be some go fast deal, I don't know! The rollers are not painted, just the links. It looks factory. Let me know, I will not be using the stuff.

Comment

Oh... here's something else to consider. A 530 sprocket is smaller in diameter than a 630 sprocket, so there is always a potential for interference problems. I didn't have any on my 750, but you might consider having a look to make sure you won't. If you do, you might need to go with more teeth on both sprockets to allow for clearance. I suspect that you won't have a problem, but it's something you should be aware of.

As an example...

This is my new 530 rear sprocket compared to the original 630. The 630 sprocket (the larger one) is 41-teeth. The 530 sprocket (the shiny new one in the foreground) is actually 42-teeth (1-tooth larger).

Comment

Great info guys. I got busy with the holidays and the GS project has been ignored a couple of weeks. Giablo pm'd ya. Here is what I am building if anyone cares.

Comment

Cool bike - What motor is that?

Also, I'd be careful sliding the fork tubes up like that - I think the fender might crash into the lower triple.

Comment

17/48 front/rear 530 sprockets will give you the stock gearing ratio and plenty of chain to swingarm clearance to boot.

Comment

Originally posted by Coldeye_ View Post
                          Great info guys. I got busy with the holidays and the GS project has been ignored a couple of weeks. Giablo pm'd ya. Here is what I am building if anyone cares.

COld that is VERY VERY sweet!!! I love that blacked out motor!! Nice!! Giablo is a good guy! Bought a thing or two off of him...you want something from him that will make that bike the cats ass?? Get one of those aluminum boxed swingarms he's got. I did!!

Comment

Yeah, decided to use a set of bars instaed of my clips. forks now raised only 1/2 inch. motor is org 78 gs1000.

Comment

Thanks Guys

I came here for this very reason. I have a 79 gs1000L that I want to lower my rpms on and save some fuel while cruising. I will be going to Z1's website right away. Thanks all

Comment

Working...
                              X