1978 gs1000 530 chain conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tumbleweed View Post
    I came here for this very reason. I have a 79 gs1000L that I want to lower my rpms on and save some fuel while cruising. I will be going to Z1's website right away. Thanks all
    LOL.... the Tumbleweed rolls in... gets what he needs.. and rolls away!!..:-D

Comment

Well after some research, I realized there is no cheap way to do a 530 or 520 conversion. I did the right thing and contacted Z1 Enterprises. Great bunch of guys. Rare is customer service these days and these guys are top notch. ROb at Z1 walked me thtough the basics w/ a gear calculator. I decided on a 17 tooth front and a 50 tooth rear. Should keep the chain from sawing through the swing arm and give me a little more pull down low over stock. Final drive will be 2.96. Stock 2.80. He also set me up w/ a chain and a 6mm spacer. All ends w/ shipping 164.35. I thought this to be very reasonable for new parts. I will post pics later of the conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by Coldeye_ View Post
        Well after some research, I realized there is no cheap way to do a 530 or 520 conversion. I did the right thing and contacted Z1 Enterprises. Great bunch of guys. Rare is customer service these days and these guys are top notch. ROb at Z1 walked me thtough the basics w/ a gear calculator. I decided on a 17 tooth front and a 50 tooth rear. Should keep the chain from sawing through the swing arm and give me a little more pull down low over stock. Final drive will be 2.96. Stock 2.80. He also set me up w/ a chain and a 6mm spacer. All ends w/ shipping 164.35. I thought this to be very reasonable for new parts. I will post pics later of the conversion.
        So is this a 530 set, right? Not just an altered gearing of the 630?

Comment

did you remember Master Links????

Comment

Yes that is correct, a 530 kit. JT sprockets. Bold numbers appear to be Z1 enterprises' Numbers. Here are the part numbers if any one is interested in doing the same.
            Product Name: 530 (JTF513 series) 17T front sprocket
            Quantity: 1 Product ID: EM95-47317 Price: $13.99

Product Name: 530 (JTR816 series) 50T Rear Sprocket
            Quantity: 1 Product ID: EM95-57150 Price: $33.27

Product Name: 530 Chain - RK 116 link 'X' Ring
            Quantity: 1 Product ID: LA530XSOZ1-116 Price: $93.63

Product Name: 530 Chain - RK split link 'X' Ring
            Quantity: 1 Product ID: LA530XSOZ1-CL Price: $4.05

Product Name: Front Sprocket Spacer Washer - 6mm
            Quantity: 1 Product ID: TU24-9325 Price: $3.23

Comment

Product Name: Front Sprocket Spacer Washer - 6mm
              Quantity: 1 Product ID: TU24-9325 Price: $3.23

Hmmmm.... I didn't use a spacer with my 530 conversion.

Comment

Well better to have it and not use than to need and can't get it. I wasn't sure. For 3 bucks and change I can live with a spare part if I don't need it. Can't wait to get bike running again.

Comment

Well better to have it and not use than to need and can't get it. I wasn't sure. For 3 bucks and change I can live with a spare part if I don't need it. Can't wait to get bike running again.
                  Oh, I'm not questioning whether or not you need it, but in a panic wondering if I do!

Comment

Not sure either, I did notice the stock countershaft sprocket was surrounded by what looked like a dampner of sort or a spacer, maybe both. I'm thinking this could be what the spacer is going to replace.

Comment

Not sure either, I did notice the stock countershaft sprocket was surrounded by what looked like a dampner of sort or a spacer, maybe both. I'm thinking this could be what the spacer is going to replace.

I slapped my 530 sprockets on the same way that the 630's where mounted. Sure, the 530 sprocket is narrower than the 630, but both are narrower by the same amount. Right? At least this was my logic. I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong, I'm just now questioning whether or not I did it right myself.

Comment

You guys will definately need that spacer. Your new front sprocket is THINNER because it doesn't have the extra hardware on it. Without the spacer, you won't get the proper alignment.

Coldeye, I did the conversion on my '78 GS1000. I think I have a few pictures somewhere, if you're interested I believe we shared a few PM's a while back. I hope you have success with yours.
                        So, if you get your project completed, how 'bout bringing her up to Yosemite for the 3rd Annual Western States GSR Rally? Our red hot rods would definately turn a few heads!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom MLC View Post
                          You guys will definately need that spacer. Your new front sprocket is THINNER because it doesn't have the extra hardware on it. Without the spacer, you won't get the proper alignment.
                          But isn't the rear sprocket thinner by the same amount?

Comment

Originally posted by witttom View Post
                            But isn't the rear sprocket thinner by the same amount?
                            Dang! I can't find those pictures. Your gonna hafta trust me on this. The spacer is needed for proper alignment of the sprockets on the '78 GS1000. Spacer goes BEHIND the front sprocket.

Comment

The reason for the spacer is...... the original sprocket has a spacer machined into it and the new sprocket is flat. At least that is they way it was with my sprocket when I did the 530 conversion.

Comment

Working...
                              X