anyone fabricate extended swingarm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone fabricate extended swingarm?

i've reached the point where i'm having trouble keeping the front wheel on the track so i figure it's time to make some changes. i'd like to build an extended swingarm. i have friends who are good welders so i'm thinking i can do this without too much $$$$$. the bike is a '78 gs1000L, not really modded much but stripped down.

the question: has anyone done this and can you give any advice? thanks, eli
    2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
    82 gs1100L probably the next project
    1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
    1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Originally posted by Eli69 View Post
    i've reached the point where i'm having trouble keeping the front wheel on the track so i figure it's time to make some changes. i'd like to build an extended swingarm. i have friends who are good welders so i'm thinking i can do this without too much $$$$$. the bike is a '78 gs1000L, not really modded much but stripped down.

the question: has anyone done this and can you give any advice? thanks, eli
    I don't know if this is acceptable to you or legal in your class, but strapping the front down will make a major improvement in wheelie prevention with almost no investment at all. It's worth trying before spending the time and effort to build a new swingarm, IMO.

Mark

Comment

I used 2 swing arms to cut at desired length and a piece of steel tubing inside the joint for strength on the weld area . 1 butt joint with extra penetration was my choice.
      SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Imade this one $100

Comment

LarryT, did you make that from scratch or modify and how? Would that fit an 81 1100e? Thanks in advance, Greg.

Comment

Me want one too!!

Comment

Originally posted by trippivot View Post
              I used 2 swing arms to cut at desired length and a piece of steel tubing inside the joint for strength on the weld area . 1 butt joint with extra penetration was my choice.
              that sounds like what i've been pondering, do you happen to have an upclose picture? how much added length did you end up with.

also, i was planning to slide the forks up through the triple clamps another inch or two which would be about the same as strapping the front end down.

larry your home made swing arm is real nice. way beyond my abilities i think. you must have actual tools and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Eli69 View Post
                also, i was planning to slide the forks up through the triple clamps another inch or two which would be about the same as strapping the front end down.
                It will lower the CofG the same, but it does not have the same effect. Strapping is more effective because it forces the engine to lift the front unsprung weight immediately in a wheelie. Just lowering the front end still allows the forks to extend under acceleration, which increases the wheelie tendency.

However, lowering is even cheaper than strapping (can't beat free) and certainly worth a try for what you want.

You can also reduce wheelie tendencies by using struts instead of shocks on the back. Hard on your butt, though.:-D

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Mark M View Post
                  It will lower the CofG the same, but it does not have the same effect. Strapping is more effective because it forces the engine to lift the front unsprung weight immediately in a wheelie. Just lowering the front end still allows the forks to extend under acceleration, which increases the wheelie tendency.Mark
                  thank you for that mr. mark m, that is the missing informational link. i knew about strapping the front end but i never saw the difference between that and lowering the front end. now i get it. i will experiment with both this season.

eventually i will have to extend the swingarm so still looking for ideas on that. (and pics) thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X