Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Axle assembly arrangement contributor to fork flex?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axle assembly arrangement contributor to fork flex?

I have recently fitted a GS650E (double disc) front end to my GR650 (single disc). The axle assembly on the GS only clamps on one fork (axle slides though an eye on the other fork). The GR had clamps on both forks.

The GS front-end works fine (braking much improved) except it gets a bit waggley on high speed bumpy straights and corners.

Could the lack of a clamp be contributing to this? I have a number of bikes (all 1990 and newer), and all of them have axles clamped on both forks (some screw into the fork on one side).

I realise some GS owners have fitted fork braces but I don't like the way they look. I'm thinking of tapping the hole in the bottom of the fork (there for the damper rod bolt to pass through), and screwing in a bolt to lock onto the axle. The hole is about 13.5mm diameter so a 16mm thread and bolt should work.

Comments/other ideas?

wobble

Have you thought about loose stearing head bearings, worn tyre, bent wheel or crappy fork oil? It wasnt till the later years they worried about axle bolts. All GS/Katanas have clamps that hold the spacers in but the axle is free to slide out after you undo one single 17mm nut.

Comment

I agree, sounds like some thing elsle in the front end. Sacked out springs?
      I definitely would not drill into fork or axle.

Comment

My bike is pretty stable at speeds up to 160km/hr and is quite confident in the corners, If your axle bolt is tight, then there should be no movement there.

Comment

Working...
        X