clutch swapping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch swapping

Is it possible to swap clutches from a GS1100 into a GS1000? My clutch rattles and I figure that instead of drilling out the rivets & repairing it I might as well just swap to a newer design.

basket,inner hub,pressure plate, all combined are a little bit taller, so a engine case spacer plate is also needed. the original cover will still work fine.

I'm not exactly sure but I think these are all compatable

shaft drive 1000's 2 valve
    shaft drive 1100 2 valve
    1100 4 valve
    SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

M.R.E. has the spacer

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it.

Comment

Converting to the 1100 clutch requires more than most would think. In addition to the cover spacer, you will need the longer "rack" piece. You also have to modify the cases for the basket to clear. Also the basket will have to be cut down some as you can only take so much material off the cases for basket clearance. Foot peg will require spacing outward to clear the now repositioned cover as well as the brake pedal will need to be bent into a "Z" shape to clear as well. All in all it is a lot of work and I would only recommend it for high HP applications where you need the extra plates.....If your bike is mostly stock you are better off fixing your 1000 basket with a HD backing plate and spring kit from APE, if its in otherwise good condition. I have done this mod to many engines for drag racing and it is not easy.......BadBillyB

Comment

Originally posted by BadBillyB View Post
            Converting to the 1100 clutch requires more than most would think. In addition to the cover spacer, you will need the longer "rack" piece. You also have to modify the cases for the basket to clear. Also the basket will have to be cut down some as you can only take so much material off the cases for basket clearance. Foot peg will require spacing outward to clear the now repositioned cover as well as the brake pedal will need to be bent into a "Z" shape to clear as well. All in all it is a lot of work and I would only recommend it for high HP applications where you need the extra plates.....If your bike is mostly stock you are better off fixing your 1000 basket with a HD backing plate and spring kit from APE, if its in otherwise good condition. I have done this mod to many engines for drag racing and it is not easy.......BadBillyB

Wow, thanks for the tips. Sounds like it's not worth it for me. I'll look into fixing mine.

Comment

my cases and basket did not have any clearance issues at all

the foot peg alteration I did not mention.

there are many versions of these parts with simple differences .

Bad billy you must have had started with the wrong parts

I have an exact recipe of models and parts that are inside my engine

Comment

Working...
              X