No announcement yet.

Kichigai GS1100ESD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was wondering if you "milked" the brakes yet? I see you have an original master cylinder and was wondering how they felt...

I see you kept the original grips...I really like them, so I have kept mine on, too.

Thanks, for any reply.

Comment

Originally posted by mthomason View Post
      I was wondering if you "milked" the brakes yet? I see you have an original master cylinder and was wondering how they felt...

I see you kept the original grips...I really like them, so I have kept mine on, too.

Thanks, for any reply.
      I read somewhere on the forum that I should be using the matching master cylinder as my calipers when doing a brake upgrade and actually have the GSXR one it but it did not have provisions for the rear view mirror so I decided to not use them. After looking at my stock master, I noticed that it said to use either Dot 3 or 4 brake fluid so I just drained out the old Dot 3 and refilled it with the Dot 4 to be compatible with the newer calipers. Thought what the heck, there was not much to loose. I have to say, I took my bike out for a spin today and the front brakes felt great! Personally, I thought it was better than it was stock. As for the grips, yes it the stock one that I had for the last 25 years. They were still in good shape so I kept them for now.

Comment

Glad to hear that the DOT4 fluid is ok for both. What did you use to fill the fluid, one of those "mightyvac" things?

25 year old grips, wow! I suppose mine have at least two more years left (23 yrs old)...ha ha, they must have been made of some space age material like soylent green or something...

Comment

Originally posted by kichigai View Post
          I read somewhere on the forum that I should be using the matching master cylinder as my calipers when doing a brake upgrade and actually have the GSXR one it but it did not have provisions for the rear view mirror so I decided to not use them. After looking at my stock master, I noticed that it said to use either Dot 3 or 4 brake fluid so I just drained out the old Dot 3 and refilled it with the Dot 4 to be compatible with the newer calipers. Thought what the heck, there was not much to loose. I have to say, I took my bike out for a spin today and the front brakes felt great! Personally, I thought it was better than it was stock. As for the grips, yes it the stock one that I had for the last 25 years. They were still in good shape so I kept them for now.

Ah Grass Hopper,

The answer came to me in a moment of Zen.

Use the half of your GS master cylinder mount that has the mirror hole and attach it to the master cylinder half of your GSXR mount.

When I got my GSXR front end, I dis-assembled the six pots and did a complete rebuild. I flushed my stainless brake lines and the GSXR master cylinder with Dot 5 brake fluid and refilled and bled the system with Dot 5.

Heresy you say, you can't use Dot 5 the sky will fall. And yet here I am still posting.

The Dot 5 won't take the paint off your tank, master cylinder, wheels or calipers and it works every bit as well.

The angle of the GSXR1100 master cylinder (coming off of clip ons) won't allow you to totally fill it but you can get enough in there for it to work properly.

Comment

[quote=mthomason;780136]Glad to hear that the DOT4 fluid is ok for both. What did you use to fill the fluid, one of those "mightyvac" things?

quote]

mothomason, I used a power vac which maybe simular to the mightvac that you are referring to. The vac lines goes on the caliper valve where it sucks the old fluid and air bubbles into a inline canister. once it is mostly clear, I finished it off with a 1 man brake bleed kit. Piece of cake!

Isleoman, Wow nice looking setup! I originally thought of using the GS master cylinder mount that has the mirror hole which looked liked it would work, but then I thought, now what do I do about the clutch side. The levers would be miss matched. How did you get your levers to match??

Comment

Isleoman, Wow nice looking setup! I originally thought of using the GS master cylinder mount that has the mirror hole which looked liked it would work, but then I thought, now what do I do about the clutch side. The levers would be miss matched. How did you get your levers to match??[/QUOTE]

Right now my levers don't match color wise. They are both dog legs, but ones silver and ones black. One of these days I'll find a new one that will match the other. Would like both to be black but its not critical to me they could both be silver too. .

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman View Post
                Isleoman, Wow nice looking setup! I originally thought of using the GS master cylinder mount that has the mirror hole which looked liked it would work, but then I thought, now what do I do about the clutch side. The levers would be miss matched. How did you get your levers to match??
                Right now my levers don't match color wise. They are both dog legs, but ones silver and ones black. One of these days I'll find a new one that will match the other. Would like both to be black but its not critical to me they could both be silver too. .[/quote]

Paint the silver lever black???

Comment

Paint the silver lever black??? [/QUOTE]

Painting would work, thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

I have finished putting my bike back together and am having a good time being back on my GS. As some of you have warned me about, I soon found out that I have some ground clearance issues though. It not too bad if I take it easy but the bike scrapes at times on the exhaust when I make right hand turns. I still have the 959 Honda trees that would gain me about 1 inch as one option but would prefer not using them after all of the work I put into getting everything working perfectly with the GSXR 750 tripples. There has to be another way!! For reference, I weigh 195 and and a bit on the short side. Please dont tell me to just lose weight either! :-D I need some helpful suggestions fellas!! I will get more updated pictures up soon. Thanks!

[/quote]

Comment

Rear Brakes

Here are some pixs of the rear brake mod I had to do on my GS1100esd/GSXR upgrade.

I found out after I installed the Bandit 1200 swingarm, I no longer had clearance for thr rear master actuator arm between the frame and the swingarm. After doing some research, I found out that the master had to be relocated. I got some tip and ideas but couldnt get a clear idea on how to do this. Anyways, here is what I did.

I picked up a Hayabusa rear caliper on ebay which indicated that it was for a 03-06 which also came with master cylinder so I decided to use it.
                      As you can see in the picture it is much smaller than the GS unit and the mounting bolt threads are in the master unlike the GS which the bolt goes thru the master.

A custom fab bracket was needed to attach the master onto the frame. Dont knock the weld job, it was my first time trying out the mig welder!

Last edited by Guest; 03-23-2008, 01:15 PM.

Comment

In order to make the Hayabusa master work, I had to make an extension out of a barrel nut and a piece of all thread and a jam nut.

I had to improvise a bit and had to offset the mounting point to the stock pedal assembly using a harden steel bolt and jam nuts and a lock nut.

Once everything was hooked up, I had to fabricarte a new mounting bracket for the reseviour since it wouldnt fit in the stock location.

All I had to do after that was to install the brake line to the caliper and bleed the brakes.
                        Last edited by Guest; 03-23-2008, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
                          Wet weight of the 83 GS1100 is 549 pounds, wet weight of the 93 Gixxer 750 is 527. You might want to consider revalving/respringing the 750 forks you've got to account for the extra weight especially if you're over 180 pounds or so yourself. The other thing to consider is ride height - how long are the new forks compared to your GS forks?
                          Fellas, I am considering ordering me a set of RaceTech fork springs for my GSXR 750 forks but wanted verify that I need to get springs rated for my weight plus the 22 pound difference in the bike weight. (195 plus 22). Does this sound right?? Also how hard is it to change out the springs, oil and fork seals?? Any special tools required or should I just take it to the dealer to have done? Please advise.

Comment

Fellas, I am considering ordering me a set of RaceTech fork springs for my GSXR 750 forks but wanted verify that I need to get springs rated for my weight plus the 22 pound difference in the bike weight. (195 plus 22). Does this sound right?? Also how hard is it to change out the springs, oil and fork seals?? Any special tools required or should I just take it to the dealer to have done? Please advise.

I did it myself when converting my GS1100EZ to gsxr stuff. BUT, I have damper rod forks, not cartridge forks. If your gsxr components are modern cartridge forks (and 93 USDs should be cartridge forks IIRC), I would look up Cogent Dynamics in Asheville NC. www.motocd.com. The owner's name is Rick Tenebaum. He is a Racetech dealer. Suspension guru, Ducati Freak, track fiend, and all around heck of a nice guy!! Give him a call. He will HOOK YOU UP...much better than dealing with Ractech's tech support, in my opinion. And his prices are competitive. You can send the forks to him and he'll do it for a fee, or he can just sell you the stuff.
                            Last edited by Cassius086; 04-03-2008, 01:54 PM.
                            Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that! :)

Comment

Kichigai based on what I've seen you do with your bike already, R/R of the front end will be a piece of cake for you. There is a special tool for getting the cartridge nut loose but you can make up something your self to do it. Pull the fische off of bike bandit and do an internet search and you find others that have posted how to do it. Its not hard.

Comment

Thanks Isleoman!
                                I have done some research yesterday. Check out what I found on U tube. These guys make it look easy.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Working...
                                X