No announcement yet.

Kichigai GS1100ESD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make sure that the bars are installed in such a way that they don't interfere with being able to adjust the suspension at the top of the forks. I wound up using Virago risers that allow me to mount them in the middle of the top triple tree, but angle the bars back towards me to allow access to the suspension adjustments.

Comment

Wow talk about timing! I was just about to drill the top tree yesterday and decided to check to see if the bars would block access to the fork adjustment after your post. Sure enough, it did! I can clear it if I drill the hold just a little bit below center. Thanks for the valuable tip!
      Last edited by Guest; 01-14-2008, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Glad I was able to help! The other issue is mounting the gauges. You'll need to reserve some space on the top triple for them. If for some reason you screw up and drill it wrong you can get another top triple for not too much cash. I used a Vortex top triple and it cost me like $50 or so on eBay. Plus it's brand new and looks nicer than the stock one. If you look at my post under "Non stock gauges/instrument pics" in Appearance Mods, page 5 there's a pretty good shot of my setup. Sorry the website wouldn't allow me to upload the pic into this post for some reason. I use the bolts that mount the ignition switch to secure the gauge mount bracket from underneath of the triple.

Comment

I had started tearing appart the front end to prepare for the new GSXR 750 front end.

First I took off the fairing and fairing support from the frame and head light assembly.

Next, I took off the gas tank, handle bars, gauges and controls. I also took some photo of the electrical connections for future reference.

Comment

looks killer. I love those blue wheels.

Kich, those are 929 triples not 954. At least they look flat on top in the picture. Duke here on the site put risers on his 11E and also did the bandit upgrade. Check out his thread. Ithink he has pics of his solution to the brake actuator.

cheers,
            KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

Thanks Katman,
              Here is another picture of the tripple tree. Its definately not flat on top so I thinks its froma 954. At least thats what it said on the Ebay ad.
              Last edited by Guest; 01-15-2008, 11:01 AM.

Comment

ah yes. Thats a better pic
                KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Here is a picture with the new 93-95 GSXR750 front suspension partially installed on my GS1100esd.

I picked up a new ignition from Ebay which I think will work but may have to grind down the ignition lock stop plate a bit to make it fit.

Comment

In order to clear the larger size fork tubes inside the front fairing frame, a few things had to be done:

I had to install a few washers between the fairing frame and where it mount up to the bike frame to move it out a bit to give it a little more clearance.

Next I had to use a lag bolt with a lock washer and nut to replace one of the lower tree fork mount bolts to make a little more room. If not, the fork tubes would have hit the lower part of the fairing frame when making turns.

Ok! I checked the ground clearance from the ground to the lowest part of the headers. I think I have around 3 to 4 inches! I may have to re-measure later since I took the picture with the bike on the kick stand but its not a bad start.

Comment

Originally posted by kichigai;

Ok! I checked the ground clearance from the ground to the lowest part of the headers. I think I have around 3 to 4 inches! I may have to re-measure later since I took the picture with the bike on the kick stand but its not a bad start.

[IMG
                      http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd48/Keiichi-pixs/GS1100%20Project/gsfront9.jpg[/IMG]
                      Coming along nicely................

Don't forget there is at least an inch of sag in the suspention when you get on
                      KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Thanks Katman! I will keep that in mind.

Comment

Next I had to use a lag bolt with a lock washer and nut to replace one of the lower tree fork mount bolts to make a little more room. If not, the fork tubes would have hit the lower part of the fairing frame when making turns.

Please don't do this! Lag bolts are made from the cheapest, nastiest steel available to bolt manufacturers. They are barely strong enough for use with wood. NEVER use one in a critical structural assembly!!

Just think for a second what will happen if that bolt breaks :shock:

See if you can find a button-head metric screw or have the bolt hole recessed for the head of a regular socket head metric screw.

Comment

Holy crap!! didn't notice that.............. I concur. Get that bolt out of there

grind an angle on the socket head a little or heaat up the fairing frame with a propane torch on the offending side and a pair of pliers will give you the relief you need. Don't mess with the triple.
                            KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Ok ! I will take the lag bolt out! Man, and I thought I found a good fix too! Bummer!! Oh well, but this is good! I would rather be safe now than being sorry later. This is exactly why I like posting up so many pixs. I get helpful feedback with do and dont so I can fix them along the way and so other can learn from my mistakes. \\/ Thanks fellas!

Comment

Originally posted by kichigai View Post
                                Ok ! I will take the lag bolt out! Man, and I thought I found a good fix too! Bummer!! Oh well, but this is good! I would rather be safe now than being sorry later. This is exactly why I like posting up so many pixs. I get helpful feedback with do and dont so I can fix them along the way and so other can learn from my mistakes. \\/ Thanks fellas!
                                Rule #1: Never use hardware store bolts unless you don't care if it breaks.

Comment

Working...
                                X