Kichigai GS1100ESD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by robertob View Post
    Please don't do this! Lag bolts are made from the cheapest, nastiest steel available to bolt manufacturers. They are barely strong enough for use with wood. NEVER use one in a critical structural assembly!!

Just think for a second what will happen if that bolt breaks :shock:

See if you can find a button-head metric screw or have the bolt hole recessed for the head of a regular socket head metric screw.
    I agree, use at least 8.8 grade metric bolts for anything structural.

And, wow, this is going to look AWESOME when you're done.

Comment

One thing you may want to consider is using some longer than stock shocks to raise up the rear a little bit. This will make the bike steer quicker than stock and help you fully utilize those new sticky D208 radials. It'll also give you a bit more ground clearance. ZRX1200 shocks perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
        One thing you may want to consider is using some longer than stock shocks to raise up the rear a little bit. This will make the bike steer quicker than stock and help you fully utilize those new sticky D208 radials. It'll also give you a bit more ground clearance. ZRX1200 shocks perhaps?
        Thanks I will keep that in mind but I am already on my tip toe just to get my 2 feet on the ground! If I go too much higher, I may look like a short guy riding a 2 stroke dirt bike if you can picture it. It's a bummer only being 5'4" tall!

Comment

Sorry guys, but that was a CARRIAGE bolt, NOT a lag bolt. Either way, get the right part. Ray.

Comment

You be right Ray! I think it was a carrage bolt that I bought! I will repost new pictures of the lower tripple tree bolts as soon as I get them.

So, I made some more progess on my GS1100esd project so I thought I post up new pixs. Here is a picture of me on it checking out the ride! Ok so that not me but my little helper (4 year old son) who aided in the project. He deserved some credit for his help! We still have a bit more work to do to be finished but wanted to share what we got done so far. The clip on are just for observation and to help move the bike around while I work on mounting the new bar risers.

In case anyone wanted to know, the new front end fit just fine without having any clearance issues with from my stock fairing. No cutting of plastic was required. \\/
            Check out the new matching Lockhart Phillips turn signals that I installed too. I think they look cleaner that the stock ones!

OK! So what do you all think??

Here is a comparison picture to see what it use to look like.

Comment

Here is some more pictures from another angle!

Comment

Looks fantastic!

The rolling resistance from the radials is much less than the bias tires - have you noticed that when rolling the bike around? If you are into riding the twisties, you won't believe the improvement all that extra contact patch makes when you've got it leaned over. GSXR brakes are tremendous too - what kind of brake lines are you going to run?
                Last edited by Guest; 01-18-2008, 03:12 AM.

Comment

Thanks! I havent gotten to roll my bike much but think it is easier than with the stock tires. Yes I love riding the twisties! I plan to take the GS up to the canyon once it is finished. It should be interesting! I dont have a clue yet on which brake lines to get. I hear that GALFER make nice ones! I picked up a matching GSXR 750 front brake master when I bought my front end which I would like to use if I can make it work with my stock bars. I also picked up a GSXR rear master too and am trying to figure out how to mount it and make it work with my stock rear brake pedal. Have any suggestions?
                  Last edited by Guest; 01-18-2008, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Galfer, Goodridge and Spiegler all make great stainless braided brake lines, can't go wrong with any of them. I've got some Spieglers on the front brakes of the GS and a Goodridge on the rear brake and they're both great quality. Spiegler makes brake lines for sportbike front ends that have the extra length you need when using standard handlebars vs. the stock clipons. They work great on my GS so it should work for you too. I used their superbike handlebar riser kit for the GSXR 1000 front end which is very well made, albeit a bit spendy.

The GSXR front brake lever and master cylinder will bolt onto your stock handlebars no problem.

What are your plans for a speedometer?

I can't say how to get a rear GSXR master cylinder to work with your stock rear brake pedal, although it probably can be done with some modification. I used the stock rear brake rearset from the 2006 GSXR 1000 and made an adapter plate to be able to bolt it onto the GS frame. This seemed like the easiest and simplest solution.

Originally posted by kichigai View Post
                    Thanks! I havent gotten to roll my bike much but think it is easier than with the stock tires. Yes I love riding the twisties! I plan to take the GS up to the canyon once it is finished. It should be interesting! I dont have a clue yet on which brake lines to get. I hear that GALFER make nice ones! I picked up a matching GSXR 750 front brake master when I bought my front end which I would like to use if I can make it work with my stock bars. I also picked up a GSXR rear master too and am trying to figure out how to mount it and make it work with my stock rear brake pedal. Have any suggestions?

Comment

I would think the stock rear master cylinder would work just fine, I am using my stock one with the GSF600 caliper on my 750. I'm working on mounting the speedo/tach from one into my fairing.
                      Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

man hate to jump in so late. had a lot of fun doing my '83. i put '92 GSXR inverted forks and rims. the '83 has a 19" front rim and a 17" rear, the '92 had 17" at both and the inverted forks were shorter then original '83s what we did was weld the shock mount further toward the rear and purchased longer shocks. this seemed to level the bike more. also had to put some stops on the handle bars to prevent them from hitting my tank. drilled and mounted handle bars at top of triple tree, for a little more sitting upright

Comment

Originally posted by kichigai View Post

Don't waste your money on bike-specific braided line kits. Just go to the Earl's shop in Lawndale and they'll make them custom for you cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by robertob View Post
                            Don't waste your money on bike-specific braided line kits. Just go to the Earl's shop in Lawndale and they'll make them custom for you cheaper.
                            This sound like a good idea! Im not too far from Laundale. Thanks!

Comment

Tell the guy there that "Robert who writes for Grassroots Motorsports" sent you - I buy at least one set of lines from him every year for my various projects.

Comment

Originally posted by oyama67 View Post
                                man hate to jump in so late. had a lot of fun doing my '83. i put '92 GSXR inverted forks and rims. the '83 has a 19" front rim and a 17" rear, the '92 had 17" at both and the inverted forks were shorter then original '83s what we did was weld the shock mount further toward the rear and purchased longer shocks. this seemed to level the bike more. also had to put some stops on the handle bars to prevent them from hitting my tank. drilled and mounted handle bars at top of triple tree, for a little more sitting upright
                                Oyama67, I would love to see some pixs of your bike! I tried looking but couldnt find any. Did you also go with a 5/8 offset front sprocket? I asume you had to make your own brackets to mount you gauge set back on your bike. Thats what I plan to do! Any suggestion would be appreciated since it should like you had finished yours upgrades.

Comment

Working...
                                X